SU vs BCC '2006

Quietstorm

memba2change4thabetta
Southern University and Bethune-Cookman College to Renew Football Rivalry at 53rd Annual Gateway Classic
February 27, 2006

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. ? After eight years and long deliberation, the Southern University Jaguars and Bethune-Cookman College Wildcats will officially renew their rivalry on the gridiron to kickoff the 2006 B-CC football season in the 53rd Annual Gateway Classic in Jacksonville, Florida on Sept. 2, 2006.

The Gateway Classic is an event that is hosted every year by Bethune-Cookman College, and for the last several years has been played at Jacksonville?s Alltel Stadium?home of the NFL?s (National Football League) Jacksonville Jaguars and site of the 2005 Super Bowl (XXXIX).

The Wildcats and Jaguars have not met since the 1998 Heritage Bowl in Atlanta, Georgia. The ?Cats fell in that contest by a count of 28-2 in head coach Alvin B. Wyatt, Sr.?s third full year at the helm of the Wildcats program.
?We are so excited about what will be the biggest and most competitive Gateway Classic of all time,? comments B-CC Director of Athletics, Lynn W. Thompson. ?This is a match-up that fans have wanted to see, and the halftime show will simply be out of this world. Southern?s tradition of success with their football team and marching band combined with our top notch program will certainly be the hottest tickets on Labor Day weekend for any football fan to purchase.?

This is just the second time that Southern and Bethune-Cookman will be meeting in the Gateway Classic. The last time saw the Jaguars escape with a hard-fought 14-10 victory on Sept. 4, 1982 to open up the B-CC season. Head coach Bobby Frazier was in the final stage of his career at the helm of the Wildcats program that year, and ended the campaign with just a 5-5 overall mark.

?Adding Southern to the schedule is exciting for our program, as well as I?m sure it is for them as well putting us on the schedule,? states B-CC head football coach, Alvin B. Wyatt, Sr. ?You have a head coach in Pete Richardson [Southern] that played with me in the NFL. We played together with the Buffalo Bills. Now we face each other as head coaches and you don?t see that very often. You have two quality programs, great coaching staffs and excellent institutions that are battling it out on the football field, and that is always something special to see ? especially with it being Bethune-Cookman College and Southern University.?

With a game of this magnitude taking place, the only other thing missing that WON?T be missing from the atmosphere is the bands. Both the ?The Pride? (Bethune-Cookman) and the ?Human Jukebox? (Southern) are expected to be in full force for the fans to see and hear as two of the best bands in all of collegiate football take to the field and stands for, what is sure to be, non-stop excitement.

?I think this will be great for the Gateway Classic, the city of Jacksonville, Bethune-Cookman College and Southern University,? comments Donovan Wells, B-CC Band Director. ?This is a great experience with two fantastic band programs in the MEAC and SWAC. Southern has a great band with great tradition, and we are really looking forward to having them in Jacksonville for everyone to see tradition from Bethune-Cookman College and Southern University at its finest. This is going to be awesome.?

The enthusiasm not only stretches to members in and around athletics, but the members of the B-CC administration as well. Irving Matthews, B-CC Board of Trustees Chairman, is a graduate of Southern University and is truly looking forward to the contest.

?My love for both schools makes this contest bitter-sweet, indeed,? commented Matthews. ?I will hate to see either team lose.?

The exact time for the game is to be determined, and it will be announced at a later date.
http://www.onnidan.com/05-06/news/feb/gatewayclassic0223.htm

Back