Stansbury clears air on MSU transfers

JSU/99

STARKVILLE ? Mississippi State basketball coach Rick Stansbury has informed an MSU fan Web site that he told point guard Gary Ervin to transfer. He also discussed other issues surrounding his team.

In an interview with Dawgsbite.com, Stansbury said that Ervin "won't be back," that freshmen Charles Rhodes and Jerrell Houston will, and that he hasn't made a decision on freshman Walter Sharpe.

That leaves MSU with the task of replacing every starter from last season.

Over the past month, Stansbury has not responded to repeated interview requests and phone calls from The Clarion-Ledger. He did not respond again Wednesday night.

There have been many questions regarding his team, as numerous players have discussed transferring.

Ervin received permission to talk to other schools, then took an official recruiting visit to Arkansas. Stansbury, meanwhile, told ESPN.com that he wouldn't release Ervin to another SEC school, meaning he couldn't be put on scholarship for two years.

On Wednesday night, Stansbury told Dawgs' Bite, "Gary Ervin won't be back. (The MSU staff) decided it was best for him and the Mississippi State basketball program that he transfer."

Ervin, who set up an interview with The Clarion-Ledger on Wednesday before canceling, was not available for comment.

The cases of Rhodes and Houston are different. Stansbury said both will return, despite some reports to the contrary.

"After meeting with them, I made the decision that they will be back," Stansbury told Dawgs' Bite. "Both are eligible."

Rhodes has not been so adamant that he is returning. Two weeks ago, he called The Clarion-Ledger to announce that he was transferring from Mississippi State.

On Monday, though, Rhodes said he had not yet made a decision on his future.

"There's a 50 percent chance I'm staying," Rhodes said. "And there's a 50 percent chance I'm leaving. I'll know in a couple of weeks."

Rhodes, who declined to discuss the specifics of his decision, did not return a phone call seeking comment Wednesday.

Houston's case is similarly vexing.

The freshman from Memphis redshirted this season. Two weeks ago, a press release from Mineral Area College announced that Houston planned to attend school the Missouri-based junior college.

Mineral Area coach Corey Tate, in responding to a call from The Clarion-Ledger, left a voice mail message indicating that Houston would be on his team next season.

As for Sharpe, Stansbury told Dawgs' Bite that "Nothing has been decided about him. I will make a decision later." When reached Wednesday night, Sharpe said he is scheduled to meet with Stansbury "sometime." Asked if he wanted to return, Sharpe said, "Probably not."

Five seniors from this past season fulfilled their eligibility, assuming Ontario Harper ? as anticipated ? declines to apply for a medical redshirt for a sixth year.
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050505/SPORTS030102/505050395/1025

Something just ain't right about whats going on up there with the Basketball team. :look:

All the starters are gone, and players with a chance to start are jumping ship like they on the Titanic. :look:

Something is going on behind the scene that may turn out really bad.

Just my 2 cents. :p

I agree, ordinarily cats would be chomping at the bit for playing time. MSU might have another FAB 5 like Michigan did that year, because they have one of the top recruiting classes coming in.

Back