Spivery's name being discuss for the UAB job

Blazers forum

4044. Mike Davis is the best choice
by BlazerRon, 4/1/06 12:09 ET

I like Rob Spivery and if we decide to go a cheaper route he would be a good fit.
However, if we want to make some noise nationally, Mike Davis is the obvious choice.

Mike was never given a chance at IU and I don't care that he went to Tuscaloosa.

UAB is competitive in pay. Anderson left over prestige, not money.

Missouri only increased his base pay to $850,000. UAB could have matched that.

Whoever we hire, we need to support this program better than we (UAB Alumni) have.

Blazers forum

4014. Rod Spivery

by BlazerRon, 3/27/06 20:55 ET

He's a Nolan disciple and he knows the state.
He would be worth an interview.

http://www.al.com/forums/blazers/index.ssf?initial=true

Blazer Forum

4014.1.2. Not a bad thought
by bubbalib, 3/28/06 9:55 ET

Re: Rod Spivery by BlazerRon, 3/28/06

Can't believe I forgot him-he has done well everywhere he has been and is a class act.

as much as I will like to see that happen, it won't. The UAB AD has already said that they will look for a coach with the same uptempo style of play as Anderson. As we all know, that does not apply to Spivery Ball.

will not happen. UAB has made continuting their current style of play a priority. spivery has not demonstrated a willingness to play like that. though he coached under nolan richardson nothing about his coaching style would lead you to believe that. they don't run, he doesn't employ full court pressure. he compares more favorably to tom izzo than mike anderson.

He probably won't go to UAB, but I say it's only a matter of time that Spivery gets a job offer from a Conference USA level program. If Southern does well next season it could be his last in Baton Rouge.

Mr. SWAC said:
If it's true....... It's over for the rest of the state.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060408/SPORTS/604080354/1002

UAB gives Davis a warm reception

By John Zenor
The Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM -- Mike Davis was greeted with a lengthy standing ovation from UAB fans and even got generous applause when his big salary was announced.

The Blazers landed the high-profile coach they wanted Friday, and Davis got the unconditional embrace from fans he craved but never truly received at Indiana.

It was, he said, "a great fit."

Davis returns to his home state to lead a program that's made three consecutive NCAA tournaments, pledging an attention-grabbing nonconference schedule that will help fill Bartow Arena and raise the Blazers' profile.

"Walking into this room, it was really unbelievable," Davis said at a news conference. "I didn't expect this many people to be here. It's great to be wanted."

Especially for a coach who didn't always feel all that wanted during his six-year run in Indiana, despite leading the Hoosiers to the national championship game in 2002.

UAB, however, laid out the green-and-gold carpet for the Fayette native and former Alabama player. His five-year deal pays $600,000 a year in guaranteed salary with incentives that could push it up to about $1 million, interim athletic director Richard Margison said.

The 45-year-old Davis replaces Mike Anderson, who left the Blazers to become coach at Missouri

College basketball in Alabama has become interesting. While some talk about 'Bama in Tuscaloosa, I also wonder what will happen to Auburn (snicker snicker).

The same as before. Continue to suck it up in the SEC. AU was last good when Wallace was there 7 years ago.

Back