Southern

Anonymous

SOUTHERN?S RICKIE WEEKS WINS 2003 USA BASEBALL GOLDEN SPIKES AWARD

http://www.usabaseball.com/this_golden_spikes.html

Milwaukee?s first round draft pick becomes first player from Southern to capture amateur baseball?s most prestigious honor

Watch the 2003 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award Show on these networks:
Fox Sports Net South - 7/15 @ 2:30 pm ET & 7/19 @ 4:00 pm ET
Cox Sports New Orleans - 7/15 @ 6:30 pm ET
Comcast SportsNet Mid Atlantic - 7/15 @ 7:00 pm ET
Comcast Southeast - 7/15 @ 11:00 pm ET, 7/17 @ 3:30 pm ET & 7/20 @ 12:30 pm ET
Fox Sports Net Bay Area - 7/15 @ 3:30 pm PT & 7/17 @ 2:00 pm PT
College Sports TV - 7/22 @ 9:00 pm ET

Durham, North Carolina - As seen today in over 22.5 million households on the 2003 Golden Spikes Award television special, USA Baseball has announced that Rickie Weeks - an infielder from Southern University - topped an incredibly talented field of five finalists to capture the 2003 Golden Spikes Award, amateur baseball?s most prestigous honor. The 26th presentation of the award, which is sponsored annually by the Major League Baseball Players Association, will be held at a later date and time to be determined.

Weeks - a native of Altamonte Springs, Florida ? won back-to-back NCAA batting titles (2002-03) with batting averages of .495 and .479, respectively. In 2003, Weeks went 78-for-163 with an NCAA-best 1.61 runs scored per game (82 in 51 contests). He added 16 home runs and 66 RBI and was named the Southwestern Athletic Conference Player of the Year for the second straight year. Weeks led Southern to the nation's best winning percentage (.863) in Division I baseball this season at 44-7. The standout capped his season by belting a two-run homer to push the Jaguars into the second round of the NCAA Hattiesburg Regional with a 5-3 triumph over Southern Mississippi.

"Growing up as a little kid, I always wanted to be considered one of the best players in the country. So, I'm very elated to win the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award - it?s the Heisman Trophy of baseball."

Weeks, who has won every 2003 National Player-of-the-Year award to date, was the 2nd overall pick in this past June?s Major League Baseball Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers.

"USA Baseball is extremely proud to honor Rickie Weeks of Southern University with the 2003 Golden Spikes Award," said Paul Seiler, USA Baseball Executive Director / CEO. "Rickie?s magnificent collegiate career in which he helped put the Jaguars back on the college baseball map, certainly proves he was the most outstanding amateur player this year. We?re also excited that Rickie is such an exemplary young man off the field, and we?re very happy for the Southern baseball program and their head coach, Roger Cador."

For the past 25 years, USA Baseball has honored the top amateur baseball player in the country with the Golden Spikes Award. (See winners box below.) The award is presented each year to the player who exhibits exceptional athletic ability and exemplary sportsmanship. Past winners of this prestigious award include current Major League Baseball stars J. D. Drew, Pat Burrell, Mark Kotsay, Jason Jennings and Mark Prior, as well as 2002 winner Khalil Greene of the San Diego Padres.

The television special is being aired across the nation this afternoon on Fox Sports Net South, Fox Sports Net Bay Area, Cox Sports TV New Orleans, Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast, Comcast Sports Net Mid Atlantic, and CSTV.

The Golden Spikes Award is sponsored by the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), underscoring the commitment of Major League Baseball players to the grassroots development of baseball programs, particularly for youth, around the world. The MLBPA supports USA Baseball's ongoing efforts to provide instruction for youth baseball players, coaches, and volunteers, and to prepare amateur athletes for professional competition.

USA Baseball is the National Governing Body of amateur baseball in the United States and a member of the United States Olympic Committee. The organization selects and trains the USA Baseball Olympic Team, the USA Baseball National Team, the USA Baseball Junior National team (18-under), and the USA Baseball Youth National Team (16-under) which participate in various international competitions each year.

Golden Spikes Award Winners

Year GSA Recipient School
2003 Rickie Weeks - Southern
2002 Khalil Greene - Clemson
2001 Mark Prior - Southern California
2000 Kip Bouknight - South Carolina
1999 Jason Jennings - Baylor
1998 Pat Burrell - Miami
1997 J.D. Drew - Florida State
1996 Travis Lee - San Diego State
1995 Mark Kotsay - Cal State Fullerton
1994 Jason Varitek - Georgia Tech
1993 Darren Dreifort - Wichita State
1992 Phil Nevin - Cal State Fullerton
1991 Mike Kelly - Arizona State
1990 Alex Fernandez - Miami-Dade South
1989 Ben McDonald - Louisiana State
1988 Robin Ventura - Oklahoma State
1987 Jim Abbott - Michigan
1986 Mike Loynd - Florida State
1985 Will Clark - Mississippi State
1984 Oddibe McDowell - Arizona State
1983 Dave Magadan - Alabama
1982 Augie Schmidt - New Orleans
1981 Mike Fuentes - Florida State
1980 Terry Francona - Arizona
1979 Tim Wallace - Cal State Fullerton
1978 Bob Horner - Arizona State

2003 Golden Spikes Award Finalists

Michael Aubrey ? Tulane
Carlos Quentin - Stanford
Kyle Sleeth ? Wake Forest
Tim Stauffer ? Richmond
Rickie Weeks ? Southern

The USA Baseball Olympic Team ? it?s not every four years, it?s every day.

# # #

Milwaukee's first round draft pick becomes first player from Southern

Weeks_web.JPG

Milwaukee's first round draft pick becomes first player from Southern
to capture amateur baseball's most prestigious honor

Watch the 2003 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award Show
on these networks:

Fox Sports Net South - 7/15 @ 2:30 pm ET & 7/19 @ 4:00 pm ET
Cox Sports New Orleans - 7/15 @ 6:30 pm ET
Comcast SportsNet Mid Atlantic - 7/15 @ 7:00 pm ET
Comcast Southeast - 7/15 @ 11:00 pm ET,
7/17 @ 3:30 pm ET & 7/20 @ 12:30 pm ET
Fox Sports Net Bay Area - 7/15 @ 3:30 pm PT & 7/17 @ 2:00 pm PT
College Sports TV - 7/22 @ 9:00 pm ET

Durham, North Carolina - As seen today on the 2003 Golden Spikes Award television special, USA Baseball has announced that Rickie Weeks - an infielder from Southern University - topped an incredibly talented field of five finalists to capture the 2003 Golden Spikes Award, amateur baseball's most prestigous honor. The 26th presentation of the award, which is sponsored annually by the Major League Baseball Players Association, will be held at a later date and time to be determined.

Weeks - a native of Altamonte Springs, Florida - won back-to-back NCAA batting titles (2002-03) with batting averages of .495 and .479, respectively. In 2003, Weeks went 78-for-163 with an NCAA-best 1.61 runs scored per game (82 in 51 contests). He added 16 home runs and 66 RBI and was named the Southwestern Athletic Conference Player of the Year for the second straight year. Weeks led Southern to the nation's best winning percentage (.863) in Division I baseball this season at 44-7. The standout capped his season by belting a two-run homer to push the Jaguars into the second round of the NCAA Hattiesburg Regional with a 5-3 triumph over Southern Mississippi.

"Growing up as a little kid, I always wanted to be considered one of the best players in the country. So, I'm very elated to win the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award - it's the Heisman Trophy of baseball." Weeks, who has won every 2003 National Player-of-the-Year award to date, was the 2nd overall pick in this past June's Major League Baseball Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers.

"USA Baseball is extremely proud to honor Rickie Weeks of Southern University with the 2003 Golden Spikes Award," said Paul Seiler, USA Baseball Executive Director / CEO. "Rickie's magnificent collegiate career in which he helped put the Jaguars back on the college baseball map, certainly proves he was the most outstanding amateur player this year. We're also excited that Rickie is such an exemplary young man off the field, and we're very happy for the Southern baseball program and their head coach, Roger Cador."

For the past 25 years, USA Baseball has honored the top amateur baseball player in the country with the Golden Spikes Award. (See winners box below.) The award is presented each year to the player who exhibits exceptional athletic ability and exemplary sportsmanship. Past winners of this prestigious award include current Major League Baseball stars J. D. Drew, Pat Burrell, Mark Kotsay, Jason Jennings and Mark Prior, as well as 2002 winner Khalil Greene of the San Diego Padres.

The television special was aired across the nation this afternoon on Fox Sports Net South, Fox Sports Net Bay Area, Cox Sports TV New Orleans, Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast, Comcast Sports Net Mid Atlantic, and CSTV.

The Golden Spikes Award is sponsored by the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), underscoring the commitment of Major League Baseball players to the grassroots development of baseball programs, particularly for youth, around the world. The MLBPA supports USA Baseball's ongoing efforts to provide instruction for youth baseball players, coaches, and volunteers, and to prepare amateur athletes for professional competition.

USA Baseball is the National Governing Body of amateur baseball in the United States and a member of the United States Olympic Committee. The organization selects and trains the USA Baseball Olympic Team, the USA Baseball National Team, the USA Baseball Junior National team (18-under), and the USA Baseball Youth National Team (16-under) which participate in various international competitions each year.

Golden Spikes Award Winners
2003 Rickie Weeks - Southern
2002 Khalil Greene - Clemson
2001 Mark Prior - Southern California
2000 Kip Bouknight - South Carolina
1999 Jason Jennings - Baylor
1998 Pat Burrell - Miami
1997 J.D. Drew - Florida State
1996 Travis Lee - San Diego State
1995 Mark Kotsay - Cal State Fullerton
1994 Jason Varitek - Georgia Tech
1993 Darren Dreifort - Wichita State
1992 Phil Nevin - Cal State Fullerton
1991 Mike Kelly - Arizona State
1990 Alex Fernandez - Miami-Dade South
1989 Ben McDonald - Louisiana State
1988 Robin Ventura - Oklahoma State
1987 Jim Abbott - Michigan
1986 Mike Loynd - Florida State
1985 Will Clark - Mississippi State
1984 Oddibe McDowell - Arizona State
1983 Dave Magadan - Alabama
1982 Augie Schmidt - New Orleans
1981 Mike Fuentes - Florida State
1980 Terry Francona - Arizona
1979 Tim Wallach - Cal State Fullerton
1978 Bob Horner - Arizona State

http://www.usabaseball.com/this_golden_spikes.html

He deserve it!

Congrats to Rickie his familie, Southern and all the HBCU's for this is truly a great day for all. Keep up the good work on the next level Rickie.

CONGRATULATIONS TO RICKIE WEEKS FOR BEING A SHINING EXAMPLE OF SPORTSMANSHIP AND HIGH MORAL CHARACTER. HE HAS REPRESENTED SOUTHERN UNIVESRITY AND ALL OF BLACK COLLEGE BASEBALL VERY WELL. WE COULD NEVER REPAY HIM FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR SOUTHERN BASEBALL. THE GOLDEN SPIKES AWARD IS THE "HEISMAN TROPHY" OF COLLEGIATE BASEBALL AND THIS YEAR IT COMES TO SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AND THE SWAC.

I Salute:

Rickie, The Baseball Jaguars & The best athletic program/department among HBCU's.

Southern U......SUSSSSSSUSUSSSSSU!!!! :cool:
Ya heard!

What a great day for Southern University Athletics!

Congratulations to a GREAT PLAYER and a GREAT PERSON!!!!!!

Has he signed yet????? I was looking at the Brewers website... and most of their draft picks signed but his name didnt have signed beside it.

Not Yet!

Originally posted by DAHILL
Has he signed yet????? I was looking at the Brewers website... and most of their draft picks signed but his name didnt have signed beside it.

No he has not signed ( still at the table).

Yeah I saw the program last night. Missed the best part of the All-Star game watching it. :( Very nice pieces done on each of the finalists. Ricky looked very well and it showed what type of hard worker and type person he was. I wanted to wake my son up and have him watch it, so he'd have another hero to model himself after and strive for his goals. We'll try and catch it when it comes back on.

Congrats to Ricky, the Weeks family, Coach Cador and the Southern University family for contributing to such a fine person.

Now two things:

1. Where can I find a Ricky Weeks USA Baseball card or some other memorabilia?

2. (and this ain't hate) SU yall need to drop those throwbacks, I had seen them on here and they looked okay, but seeing them in action and seeing Ricky pose in them last night,....OMG.... no no no. please don't bring them back! :lmao:

Congrats to MR. RICKIE WEEKS, his IMMEDIATE FAMILY and his extended SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY FAMILY Coaches and Mentors!!!!!!! MUCH SUCCESS ON THE NEXT LEVEL!!!! :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Bengal E.

Do you mean these uni's? I heard one story that the folks at So. Miss were so psyched out by the uniforms that they never knew what them. Anyway, congratulations to Mr. Weeks. Has anyone seen the article in Sports Illustrated?

3772_512.jpg

Advocate staff photo by John Williams

That jersey that you are looking at (Rickie's #25) recently sold at an auction that the Southern University Baseball Team sponsored, for $650.00.:eek2: A black local business man coped that one, and Duplessis' (The ones that own the Cadillac dealership) paid $700.00 for the cream colored one.:eek2:

This has been a great fund raising effort by Coach Cador and his staff....

I am not sure throw-back jersey are suppose to look good. I would submit that why they where changed in the first place for marketing purpose and/or to become current with the new fashion or sporting health support.

I think the purchaser of the jersey's would submit that they did not neccessary buy the jersey for the beauty, but for their historic meaning.

Again congratulation to Southern and especially their coaches for thinking forward and creating a potential situation that would not only benefit the program on the field, but off the field in media exposure and financially, as well. They larger collegiate and often better regonized programs as well as the professional programs call it "Marketing".

The funny thing is. These are things that many board complains about our programs not taking the opportunity to do. But when a program does have the initiative to get it done. Then some board posters make fun of it.

Intriguing & Interesting!

Southen and any other SWAC institution that is moving forward in their athletic programs in a particular sport. Keep doing what you are doing. I know at Prairie View A & M with a making a "mad" rush to catch back-up and then surpass our conference friends and foes.l

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
I am not sure throw-back jersey are suppose to look good. I would submit that why they where changed in the first place for marketing purpose and/or to become current with the new fashion or sporting health support.

I think the purchaser of the jersey's would submit that they did not neccessary buy the jersey for the beauty, but for their historic meaning.

Again congratulation to Southern and especially their coaches for thinking forward and creating a potential situation that would not only benefit the program on the field, but off the field in media exposure and financially, as well. They larger collegiate and often better regonized programs as well as the professional programs call it "Marketing".

The funny thing is. These are things that many board complains about our programs not taking the opportunity to do. But when a program does have the initiative to get it done. Then some board posters make fun of it.

Intriguing & Interesting!

Southen and any other SWAC institution that is moving forward in their athletic programs in a particular sport. Keep doing what you are doing. I know at Prairie View A & M with a making a "mad" rush to catch back-up and then surpass our conference friends and foes.l

Now we all see why the other programs are smalltime and comical!

Back