Southern University Athletics to name Football Field after Legendary Coach

Buc98

Last edited:
Long overdue. It is a shame it took this long. Southern went championshipless between the end of the Vietnam war to the first Gulf war. Pete ended that drought and is the reason SU is on the contemporary map. The program was literally a fossil without Pete. Congrats to Pete.

Long overdue. It is a shame it took this long. Southern went championshipless between the end of the Vietnam war to the first Gulf war. Pete ended that drought and is the reason SU is on the contemporary map. The program was literally a fossil without Pete. Congrats to Pete.
Well said

Why?! Why say all of that? The last five sentences. I could say alot about grambling history but i want. Congrats Coach Pete!! Ace Mumford and Pete Richardson the best HBCU head coaches!!

Well earned and deserved. Kudos to SU for doing the right thing with coach while he is still here to receive and adore his flowers.

Why?! Why say all of that? The last five sentences. I could say alot about grambling history but i want. Congrats Coach Pete!! Ace Mumford and Pete Richardson the best HBCU head coaches!!
When you did into our stored history, do not forget Icon Gram’s status as a top 25 collegiate programs of all time amongst the myriad of other superlatives.

You took those remarks as smack, but it was intended to express the depth of what Pete accomplished being SU’s third choice as I recall. I tell my Jag boys all the time that Pete did the same for SU as Saban did for LSU. Both B.R. schools were afterthoughts prior to their arrival.

SU is looked upon differently in the landscape of BCF because of what Pete accomplished. I feel it first hand as a Grambling man as the BC was one-sided before Pete. SU is really Gram’s only Achilles heel as we dominate our other SWAC rivals by at least 20 games all time (with the exception of the expansion teams like AAMU and UAPB). Pete paid his dues and it is well deserved honor to have his name on the field as an immortal tribute.

When you did into our stored history, do not forget Icon Gram’s status as a top 25 collegiate programs of all time amongst the myriad of other superlatives.

You took those remarks as smack, but it was intended to express the depth of what Pete accomplished being SU’s third choice as I recall. I tell my Jag boys all the time that Pete did the same for SU as Saban did for LSU. Both B.R. schools were afterthoughts prior to their arrival.

SU is looked upon differently in the landscape of BCF because of what Pete accomplished. I feel it first hand as a Grambling man as the BC was one-sided before Pete. SU is really Gram’s only Achilles heel as we dominate our other SWAC rivals by at least 20 games all time (with the exception of the expansion teams like AAMU and UAPB). Pete paid his dues and it is well deserved honor to have his name on the field as an immortal tribute.

Go sit your negative raggedy azz down somewhere. This thread is about Pete Richardson's field.

Good move to name it after Coach Richardson. He did a lot to bring winning spirit back to SU after some losing times on the Bluff.

Congratulations to a “great” Division I-AA Coach. Pete Richardson saved SU football. Unfortunately, (Lol), I have a strong SU family who share stories about who these man entered SU campus with a mission to change the football culture. Some of the discipline stories seem a little crazy, but the man changed things unbelievably quickly. I will always be a fan of that 1997 team. His 1993 season should really be talked about more as well. Those guys were a well oiled machine.

Congratulations to a “great” Division I-AA Coach. Pete Richardson saved SU football. Unfortunately, (Lol), I have a strong SU family who share stories about who these man entered SU campus with a mission to change the football culture. Some of the discipline stories seem a little crazy, but the man changed things unbelievably quickly. I will always be a fan of that 1997 team. His 1993 season should really be talked about more as well. Those guys were a well oiled machine.
Dolores Spikes saved it when she ignored the clamors for Gunslinger Cooley and went with Pete instead.

Arguably the second time she saved Southern during her time as the president LOL

A good bit of his former players moved on to coach some of Louisiana’s most talented high school teams. One of his former kickers, Breck Ackley, was just on the yard as a scout for the Chicago Bears.

Well earned and deserved. Kudos to SU for doing the right thing with coach while he is still here to receive and adore his flowers.
WOW!!! Bewildered said something positive about Southern?

Shocked Phone GIF

I wasn’t born when Eddie Robinson was doing his thing…Pete is who i associate with as the greatest coach in SWAC history

Congrats Coach Pete, very well deserved and overdue.

ATL Hornet, when I think about the great SWAC Coaches here are my top three:

Gold - Coach Eddie Robinson - Gram
Silver - Coach Ace Mumford - SU
Bronze - Coach WC Gordon - JSU

Outside the SWAC Tenn St. - John Merritt and FAMU - Jake Gaither will definitely have to be considered as some of the best as well!

Congrats Coach Pete, very well deserved and overdue.

ATL Hornet, when I think about the great SWAC Coaches here are my top three:

Gold - Coach Eddie Robinson - Gram
Silver - Coach Ace Mumford - SU
Bronze - Coach WC Gordon - JSU

Outside the SWAC Tenn St. - John Merritt and FAMU - Jake Gaither will definitely have to be considered as some of the best as well!
That list is high cotton …

Back