Southern Living: Life At Prairie View

Storm96

Southern Living Magazine June 2009 Issue Features Life at PVAMU
Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Southern Living Magazine showcases Prairie View A&M University in a special “Texas Living†section in its June 2009 issue. Featured on page 3 of the special feature in the bonus section for Texas readers, the article is titled “Life on the Hillâ€.

From “Life on the Hillâ€
:

It sits on a hill as high as hope, where tradition and excellence blend among new and old buildings, venerable live oaks, study halls, classrooms, sports fields, and farm animals.
Near verdant pastureland, where goats, cattle, and horses graze across the former grounds of Alta Vista Plantation, stands the main campus of Prairie View A&M University. The many alumni and 8,000 current students simply call it “The Hill.â€

“My grandfather went here,†says Arica Amerson of Houston. “Generations of my family have gone here. Prairie View is in my blood.â€

Family Tradition The Hill is in the blood of genera*tions of African American students. The school, founded as Alta Vista Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas for Colored Youth in 1876, opened its doors two years later with eight students. They were the first African American men to enroll in a state-supported college in Texas.

“People used to say, ‘When are you going to Prairie View?’ †says Bryce Hairston Kennard, a spokesman for the school. “At one time, it was the only place to go if you were African American and planning to attend a state college in Texas.â€

Today, students and parents remain proud of The Hill’s legacy as a historically black institution and of its continuing contribution to agricultural education.

Heart of the Campus and Hump Day The town of Prairie View’s tree-lined main street rises to the heart of the campus. Live oaks, fringed with resurrection fern, ramble off in seemingly peculiar routes. Bryce explains that the concrete for the sidewalks was simply poured along earthen paths made by students walking around the trees years ago.

Story

Back