Smh, Why we struggle to support.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I lived all of what he’s talking about as a player at TSU. Granted, it was 20 years ago and wasn’t in the NIL landscape. But once we won more funding came in. Before we won the swac title our coaches had to recruit academic minded kids who could get an academic scholarship. Two of our best players were on a full ride academic scholarship.

All in all, I feel bad for the brother and the players.

Interesting article. I've always said a few teams in the SWAC should really look at going Div II. This is not a slap in the face to those schools but they simply don't have the funds to fully support a Div 1 program.

If there is no support, should they drop the sport?
Yes, but there could be a problem with the SWAC office if they drop baseball. I don't know if the SWAC has a rule about each school having certain specifics sports. The question becomes will UAPB finncially be even worse at D2 compared what they currently have given there will be drop in money coming in going down to D2.

Interesting article. I've always said a few teams in the SWAC should really look at going Div II. This is not a slap in the face to those schools but they simply don't have the funds to fully support a Div 1 program.
I know the SWAC would want to keep at least 12 schools in order to keep their championship game in football.

Yes, but there could be a problem with the SWAC office if they drop baseball. I don't know if the SWAC has a rule about each school having certain specifics sports. The question becomes will UAPB finncially be even worse at D2 compared what they currently have given there will be drop in money coming in going down to D2.

There are ways to do this. The Southland does it. UNO does not have football. Several of their schools don’t have tennis or golf.

Is it a question of "us" not supporting, or is it a question of UAPB doing a poor job in asking for support (fundraising)?

People are jumping at the opportunity occurring at UAPB to get their "___ schools should go D2" narrative out

What (allegedly) is going on PB has nothing to do with the other 11 schools

I lived all of what he’s talking about as a player at TSU. Granted, it was 20 years ago and wasn’t in the NIL landscape. But once we won more funding came in. Before we won the swac title our coaches had to recruit academic minded kids who could get an academic scholarship. Two of our best players were on a full ride academic scholarship.

All in all, I feel bad for the brother and the players.
It's still like that across the board in baseball. D1 only has 11.7 scholarships to spread across an entire baseball roster so most players will depend on academic scholarships, Pell grants or student loans

Last edited:
I dont know why so many folks hate to face the truth on this subject. Living a lie isn't going to make you successful.

Pride - same folks who told them to move up from naia are long gone

UAPB came into the swac loaded from naia in football but it leveled out quickly - they're the type of program where they'll be good for 2 years and then everyone graduates out

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I dont know why so many folks hate to face the truth on this subject. Living a lie isn't going to make you successful.

There's facing the truth

And then there's nonsense and an unearned sense of superiority especially when it pertains to Valley and UAPB since those are the 2 schools people are referencing

By the end of 2024, Valley will have facilities on par or better than half the SWAC. Same with scholarships. So when people say that Valley needs to go D2 in 2024, it flat out makes you look stupid especially when you factor in the aforementioned changes and the upcoming ones in 2025 (practice field/facility, RV Park, cross country trails, etc)

If we wanna "face the truth", any school operating on a sub-15 million budget (bare minimum FBS budget) probably should be D2. And that would include 2 Bluebloods and not just Valley and UAPB but we're not ready for that conversation

There are ways to do this. The Southland does it. UNO does not have football. Several of their schools don’t have tennis or golf.
that is why i ask the question, as CIAA rejected Coppin State (at least that was reported), when they initially was looking at going back down to D2 because they did not have football. A few years ago CIAA change their tone, as they accepted a South Carolina school that does not have football.

Back