Sheridan Poll

Deuce

The following Sheridan Poll was conducted prior to this past weekend's games.

I posted it so that as the season goes on, we will have a record of how teams fared from week one to season's end on this particular poll.

The new poll should come out tomorrow (September 2nd). When it does, I will post it.

For the record, I have never been particularly fond of the Sheridan Poll, since it mixes Div. I-AA with Div. II HBCU's. But since it has somehow become the unofficial determiner of the Black College National Champion, I'll keep track of it.

Since all the games are over, I would be interested to see YOUR Black College Top Ten, before the new Sheridan Poll comes out.

Sheridan Broadcasting Network Black College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record Points

1. Grambling State Tigers (23) 0-1 287
2. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (4) 0-0 225
3. Tuskegee Golden Tigers (2) 0-0 195
4. Florida A&M Rattlers (1) 0-0 167
5. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 0-0 154
6. Jackson State Tigers 0-0 120
7. Fayetteville State Broncos 0-0 114
8. Hampton Pirates 0-0 105
9. Morgan State Bears 0-0 65
10. Southern Jaguars 0-0 42

Others receiving votes: South Carolina State (26), Fort Valley State (24), Alabama State (10), Albany State (10), Alcorn State (10), Bowie State (10).

As of August 25, 2003, at 01:27 PM ET

1. Grambling State Tigers (23) 0-1 287
2. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (4) 0-0 225
3. Tuskegee Golden Tigers (2) 0-0 195
4. Florida A&M Rattlers (1) 0-0 167
5. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 0-0 154
6. Jackson State Tigers 0-0 120
7. Fayetteville State Broncos 0-0 114
8. Hampton Pirates 0-0 105
9. Morgan State Bears 0-0 65
10. Southern Jaguars 0-0 42

Others receiving votes: South Carolina State (26), Fort Valley State (24), Alabama State (10), Albany State (10), Alcorn State (10), Bowie State (10).

As of August 25, 2003, at 01:27 PM ET

bcc will be #1

Miles College will be added to that list for beating the hell out of Tuskegee. And Tuskegee will be kicked out of the poll.

Sep 2, 2003

Cavil's Classic Cuts Football - BCF Major Program Top 10 Poll
By TSPN News Service

Email this article
Printer friendly page

Cavil's Classic Cuts Football -
BCF Major Program Top 10 Poll (9-01-2003)
Presented By:
The Heritage Group (THG Agency, LLC),
A Sports Consulting Management, Agency

Name--------------------Record-1PV-Points-PWR-Last Game-(8/31/2003-W/L-Opp.)
1. Bethune-Cookman-----(1-0)--(8)---98----2--(Beat Savannah State,66-12)
2. Morgan State--------(1-0)--(1)---87----9--(Beat Townson State, 19-16)
3. Alabama State-------(1-0)--(1)---84----13-(Beat Florida A & M, 38-22)
4. Southern------------(1-0)--------63----10-(Beat Miss. Valley State, 29-0)
5. Grambling State-----(0-1)--------61----1--(Lost to San Jose State, 26-0)
6. Alcorn State--------(1-0)--------52----14-(Beat Arkansas P.B., 37-10)
7. Tennessee State-----(1-0)--------39----19-(Beat S. C. State, 37-20)
8. N. C. A & T State---(1-0)--------25----15-(Beat N. C. Central, 25-0)
9. Texas Southern------(1-0)--------16----16-(Beat Prairie View A & M, 42-3)
10. Howard--------------(0-0)---------7----11-(Did Not Play)

Dropped Out Of Rankings: Florida A & M-(0-1), Alabama A & M-(0-1),
Jackson State-(0-1), Hampton-(0-1),
S. C. State-(0-1), Miss. Valley State-(0-1)

Receiving Votes: Alabama A & M-(0-1)-6, Florida A & M-(0-1)-5,
Jackson State-(0-1)-3, Hampton-(0-1)-2,
Miss. Valley State-(0-1)-1, S. C. State-(0-1)-1

PWR = Previous Weeks Ranking
1PV = 1st Place Votes
LG = Last Game
Major = NCAA Division I AA

Note: = *

*Florida A & M University is under NCAA Division I A provisional status. But
for the purpose of this 2003 poll they will be ranked with NCAA Division I AA
programs, since their playing mainly a NCAA Division I AA schedule in 2003.

1. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (27) 1-0 285
2. Grambling State Tigers (2) 0-1 252
3. Morgan State Bears 1-0 203
4. Southern Jaguars 1-0 171
5. Alabama State Hornets (1) 1-0 144
6. Tennessee State Tigers 1-0 119
7. Alcorn State Braves 1-0 87
8. North Carolina A&T Aggies 1-0 77
9. Alabama A&M Bulldogs 0-1 61
10. Virginia State Trojans 1-0 54

Others receiving votes: Fayetteville State (34), Hampton (21), Florida A&M (16), Fort Valley State (12), Bowie State (10).

As of September 2, 2003, at 06:08 PM ET

A thought just occurred to me, the way that the Sheridan polls vote when famu becomes a D1a team will they get brownie points because their playing a higher quality of ball or will they never see the light of day at the no. 1 spot because they consistently get beat?
:idea:

No disrespect to Morgan St. or Southern, but Bama State should be no less than 3rd in this poll.

For us to go on the road and DOMINATE one of the best programs in black college football - a future I-A program no less - we should be ranked higher.

But that's fine, we play the current #1 on Saturday. Once we handle that business, if we're not number ONE or TWO, then this poll is as sorry as I thought it was.

Originally posted by Deuce
No disrespect to Morgan St. or Southern, but Bama State should be no less than 3rd in this poll.

For us to go on the road and DOMINATE one of the best programs in black college football - a future I-A program no less - we should be ranked higher.

But that's fine, we play the current #1 on Saturday. Once we handle that business, if we're not number ONE or TWO, then this poll is as sorry as I thought it was.

Duece, no direspect to Bama State win over FAMU, but FAMU's move to D-1 also caused them to lose some valuble transfer players that could not play against yall and not only that, based on our crippled at the time team going to Tally Ho and beating them in 01, let me know they were not the FAMU of old. They have been on a decline since Quinn Gray and company left. So just maybe FAMU wasn't as good as people thought. Bama St is obviously better than what folks thought.

Just remember polls are opinions. They don't mean a thing, especially this early in the season. Morgan State is vastly improved from what I am have heard. This is year 2 on the new Morgan State.

Originally posted by JR
Duece, no direspect to Bama State win over FAMU, but FAMU's move to D-1 also caused them to lose some valuble transfer players that could not play against yall . . .

JR,

FAMU isn't the only one who lost a few players. Bama State lost several key players including Earl Cochran and Al Walker due to eligiblity issues.

Oh by the way, in case you haven't heard, we also lost our HEAD COACH, OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR AND DEFENSIVE LINE COACHES about four weeks before the season started.

Don't give me that mess about FAMU losing a few overrated transfers.

Originally posted by Deuce
JR,

FAMU isn't the only one who lost a few players. Bama State lost several key players including Earl Cochran and Al Walker due to eligiblity issues.

Oh by the way, in case you haven't heard, we also lost our HEAD COACH, OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR AND DEFENSIVE LINE COACHES about four weeks before the season started.

Don't give me that mess about FAMU losing a few overrated transfers.

Deuce chill-out man, your acting like we're from the meac. The truth is this poll has been out-dated for some time and most of us know it, they largely base their opinion on just wins and losses and point spreads not power ratings and if your a SWAC school at the end of the year tied with a meac school you can forget about a no. #1 ranking.

They clearly have a biased, something they're quote unquote always claiming the PWC's do, so just chill and enjoyed your win it was a great one, besides that you had a .286 winning pct. at the end of the year and was 2-5 in conf. play as oppose to SU having a .714 winning pct and 5-2 in conf. play and that does effect how you start off ranked the following year.

I think Morgan is definitely ranked higher than they should be, though they are improved. It's amazing what an upgrade in facilities can do for a program. Their stadium was completely redone in 2001, as well as their weight room, and practice fields.

They've made a serious comittment to the program, and it's showing. They sort of remind me of BCC in the mid to late 90's the way they're changing their loser image, and becoming a solid team. They were once a BCF power, and it seems that they're trying to go back to their old ways.

As far as SU, and ASU in the rankings, it could go either way, it's obvious that SU, and ASU are not as bad as early prognosticastions would have us believe, and FAMU isn't what it used to be. JR you're right in saying that, but I'll go even further in FAMU's demise, and it dates back to GSU beating them in CCC.

Losses to a less than stellar SU team, losing 3 out of 4 to A&T, and a loss to Howard at home last year, is definitely proof that this is not the same ol Rattlers of the late 90's, and early millineum.

Also, Valley is not as improved as many would've thought they'd be, with Totten benching Carrie Weaver, and changing his offensive philosophy so late in the game.

NICE

Morgan State?

Nuff said.

An east coast team gets one win and they are #2?
Grambling should be under Tenn State.

All the above reasons is why I have always thought of this pole as a joke. Lumping d1-aa in with d2 ........ :vomit:

Originally posted by J-State Tiger
I stopped reading those polls after I got to Morgan St.
To you people that are whining about Morgan ranked #3, take a closer look. Morgan didnt jump over any team that won a ball game this past weekend. They jumped 6 spots (due to losses by 5 of the immediate 6 teams in front of them), SU & Alcorn bothh jumped 6 spots, Bama State jumped 8 spots, and Tenn State went from having no votes to #6 (11 spots).

I aint buying this "east coast conspiracy theory".Quit b!t@#ing and win some ballgames. Then you wont have to worry about the rankings :)

Originally posted by A&T Brandmasta
To you people that are whining about Morgan ranked #3, take a closer look. Morgan didnt jump over any team that won a ball game this past weekend. They jumped 6 spots (due to losses by 5 of the immediate 6 teams in front of them), SU & Alcorn bothh jumped 6 spots, Bama State jumped 8 spots, and Tenn State went from having no votes to #6 (11 spots).

I aint buying this "east coast conspiracy theory".Quit b!t@#ing and win some ballgames. Then you wont have to worry about the rankings :)

Man, forget all this ........................ This poll has been a JOKE since day one. Even when JSU is ranked in this, nobody I know even pays attention to it.:(

Where should JSU be ranked after that arse whoopin they took last weekend?

It wold REALLY be a joke of they were ranked at this point.

Where should JSU be ranked after that arse whoopin they took last weekend?

It wold REALLY be a joke of they were ranked at this point.

Can't dispute the fact's of it being a JOKE huh. Too bad we didn't play a D2 team.:rolleyes:

Sorry about the "smack" folks but people that take pride in one win a season should keep their mouth shut.:rolleyes:

Facts?

I laid out the facts of why MSU is where they are. It is also a fact that JSU got that arse split open last week and doesnt deserve to be in the top 10. In fact, JSU will have to change up that offensive strategy if they want to win a game this season. How can you have a run-focused attack and manage only 20 yards rushing all day?

Give me some facts on why JSU should be in the top 10.

Facts?

I laid out the facts of why MSU is where they are. It is also a fact that JSU got that arse split open last week and doesnt deserve to be in the top 10. In fact, JSU will have to change up that offensive strategy if they want to win a game this season. How can you have a run-focused attack and manage only 20 yards rushing all day?

Give me some facts on why JSU should be in the top 10.

Not only are you silly, but you can't read.

Fact ......... How in the L can you rank 1-aa with d2...... It dose not make sence.

Fact ..... change strategy ..... a 2 year old knows that .... but if we had played a D2 team, (like you), and not the #22 team in the country, (1-aa), just to make ourselves LOOK GOOD we would not know this ....... But LOOKING GOOD is all that count's in the MEWACK ...........

FACT ....... Go back up and tell me where I said JSU should be ranked ..........I said "Even when JSU is ranked, nobody I know even pays attention to it."

Fact ...... This poll has and always will be a joke. Until they make seperate polls for d1-aa and d2 its garbage.

Again, sorry for the "smack" on this page..... But you know how it is when you are dealing with MEWACK's that will swallow anything that will make them look good instead of BEING GOOD.

Back