Say MikeB, keep an eye on this guy.

Blacknbengal

Vidalia keeps rolling with win over pesky Davidson

By ADAM DAIGLE

The Natchez Democrat

FERRIDAY, La. - Davidson is no slouch, and neither is Tony Hawkins.

Nor is C.J. Williams.

The Vidalia Vikings had to battle a quick Davidson squad without Hawkins, the Vikings' point guard who is sidelined with with a sprained ankle, but came away with an 88-78 win with the help of Williams and the Vikings' inside game.

The win puts the Vikings playing Saturday in the finals of the Ferriday tournament and awaiting the winner of the Sicily Island-Ferriday game tonight.

"We just had to settle down and find the open man," Vidalia head coach Robert Sanders said. "C.J. did a good job of finding them most of the time. Our starting point guard is out, and he'll probably miss this week but will be back for the 30th."

The efforts late were beneficial in a contest that featured 75 free throws between the two teams. The Vikings held the lead most of the game but led the Warriors climb back in it on two occasions in the second half - a two-point lead at one point in both the third and fourth quarters.

Each time the Vikings were able to attack Davidson's 3-2 zone defense and match each close call with a run to get some breathing room.

"We had heard they ran a lot," Sanders said. "We felt like we could match that, though. They left the corner open. When we went inside, we didn't always make the right decision. I guess it was nerves."

The Warriors cut the lead to two on a three-point play from Bryan Guice with 6:02 left in the fourth, but the Vikings responded with a 9-3 run that Ajay Warner ended with a three-point play at the 3:58 mark for a 74-66 Vidalia lead.

Davidson cut the lead to two in the third on two free throws from Guice, but the Vikings got two buckets from Warner to ignite an 8-2 run for a 61-53 lead.

That was our starting QB this year also. When I went home for Thanksgiving, I talked and tripped out with him for awhile. This young man is awesome. The only thing is that his family are all Southernites, so BG, DTJ, Kellis, SU 79, Lewis, and JR. You guys better treat my boy right when he comes down next year.

GSU's Ron Ellis is also from Vidalia. He had 15 points against Georgetown and is a returning starter from last season. Hadn't seen his name in recent box scores until I noticed he was 1-2 against St. Louis. Not sure if he was injured (must be cuz Ellis puts up more than 2 shots).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by MikeBigg
GSU's Ron Ellis is also from Vidalia.

Now, that will make an interesting matchup. Ron Ellis vs Tony Hawkins. Grambling vs Southern. Vidalia vs Vidalia.

:cool:

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
The only thing is that his family are all Southernites, so BG, DTJ, Kellis, SU 79, Lewis, and JR. You guys better treat my boy right when he comes down next year.

Will do :D .

Mike I need to make a trip up to Gilbert sometime soon, kinda miss those days. :cool:

Might do some recruiting while I'm visiting.

Back