Sacrificing a ‘slower’ friend isn’t the way to escape bears, NPS says. Here’s what is

Olde Hornet

Sacrificing a ‘slower’ friend isn’t the way to escape bears, NPS says. Here’s what is
:popcorn:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sacrificing-slower-friend-isn-t-224954967.html

If you come across a bear, never push a slower friend down…even if you feel the friendship has run its course.⁣⁣
:snicker

How to avoid a bear attack
Here’s what you should do instead, according to the National Park Service:

Identify yourself as a human and not a prey animal by talking calmly, and stay put. Slowly wave your arms. The bear might come closer or stand up on its back legs to get a better look or to smell you, which is usually a sign of curiosity and not aggression.

Don’t scream or make any loud or high-pitched noises, since the bear might think it’s the sound of a prey animal. Pick up smaller children, and make yourself look as big as possible, including moving to higher ground if you can.

“Stay calm and remember that most bears do not want to attack you; they usually just want to be left alone,” the guidance says. However, they might bluff to avoid an encounter by charging and turning away at the last second.

Don’t try climbing a tree. Black bears and grizzlies can both climb trees.

I don't think of it as a sacrifice, but if you can't haul ass with me then that's on you. I'm not letting a bear "get a better look" or smell me.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back