RUMOR MILL - SU O/C moving to TSU

thegooddoctor

Heard on Jaguar Journal this AM that there is a possibility that Mark Orlando may be moving to TSU as offensive coordinator. He has worked in ther past with Bill Thomas at Tennessee State.

Pete has stated that he wants to return to the running game.:bawling:

I heard this also on the Jaguar Journal. Based upon the way some of my Jaguar friends talk, they won't be disappointed to see him leave. They are tired of the "Race Horse" offense.

I am not going to shed one tear about Orlando leaving. Of course his going to TxSU is puzzling to me. Thomas is barely holding on to his job and if he doesn't do better next year he's probably gone. I guess Pete has gotten tired of the offensive calls. The no huddle and the style isn't bad, but you have to make adjustments to the type of players you have. If you have a power back then you scale the Racehorse offense down a bit and implement the TE some. Sort of how Joe Gibbs had the Skins doing when he had Riggins. No need for 4 WR sets all the time and that stupid QB draw Orlando was calling has got on my last nerve. Especially with a not that great running QB. Orlando forced that offense on personnel that wasn't suited for it . I get mad every time I see Elvis Joseph do something in the NFL that we should have had him do. But Orlando used him wrong.

I must say that if he can harness Lamb's talent over there at TxSu then he may have a fit to run that style of offense. I think Hankton has another year too. So maybe this is a good move for him

Orlando coming to the 3rd Coast? That's something I haven't heard about so I'll need to contact my contacts to verify.

Lamb is through. His prop year will not be reinstated as he is not scheduled to graduate on time. So Hank Edwards will battle it out between 3 or 4 other quarterbacks and yes Cortez Hankton has another year remaining so I am looking for a breakout year for him (1,100+ season).

True, Bill Thomas is trying to defuse a live atomic bomb with a rusty butterknife. He is trying to save face by firing both offensive coordinators (that was the problem there), the defensive coordinator and defensive line coach. So that's four coaches he's desparately trying to replenish on his staff. My question is what is Orlando making at SU? Texas Southern has some tight reigns on assistant coaches salaries. However we have made some pivital exceptions as of lately (Courtney doesn't have to teach to supplement his salary as well as his three assistant coaches which a Texas Southern coach has never had.

Can I ask you Southernites a question? If Pete went say....... 9 - 3.... would your alumni still have issues with the "Race Horse" Offense?

Orlando will be making $71,000 at TSU so he will increase his salary about $6,000. Pete will probably move Offensive Line coach Gary Smith up to Offensive Coordinator and could possibly hire Eric Randall to QB coach and re-hire someone for the O-Line position.

Cleb:
What the deal with the TSU coaching staff lately. It seems like every year for one reason or another TSU changes at least 2 assistant coaches.

As for Orlando, this move would be great for SU. I don't think it's no secret that many teams have caught up with Orlando's thinking in the last couple of years. An OC move is definitely in order for SU.

oooh, imagine what talent he gets to have access to now if he goes to Texas. TSU has some talented but underachieving players on their roster. A change is all that is needed.

As for the running game, SU folks haven't had a decent running back since Ryan Lewis. It wasn't the offense, it was a lack of talent. You had your power backs last year and they were ineffective.

I remember Orlando's offense producing 1,000-yard rushers in Melvin Williams, Steve Wofford and Ryan Lewis. And their fullbacks were Jermaine West and Leonce Griffin.

Jags, just say it was a lack of talent in your backfields. I told you all in 2000 your running game sucked when you failed to land a scat back like Wofford and Lewis.

This may be a good move. Anything is when your coordinators were offensive rookies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Thomas at the hs games tonight, then next thing you know, I see the Harper family in the same area as Thomas, :confused:

Panther Fan,<br>Since this ain't the smack board I will not tear into you. But take Elvis Joseph for example, he is on an NFL roster this year.<br><br>
C-leb28<br>
We all know that winning makes a big diffence so the more you win, the less critism you take. With that said, I have my problems with it no matter what the record. Some things just don't add up to me. But some of our "problem" wasn't with the "Race Horse Offense" (RHO) concept, but with how it was done and playcalling. It is my understanding one of the fundametals of the RHO is no huddle, get to the line fast so the defense doesn't have time to sub or change defenses. We would no huddle, but it still takes 20 seconds to wait for the play to come from the booth, to the sideline then to the field. I think we got more delay of game penalties than when we huddled. Second, we got to be very predictable. Many times you can just look at the formation an tell the play. I am sure that anyone that scouted us could pick up a lot. How can you have a running game in a 5 wide set all of the time. An example of the play calling, take Jackson State last year, were inside the 5 and he calls an out pattern. We throw the ball 30 yards sideways to try to get 3 yards.

Lewis, you still had three 1,000 yard rushers before Joseph, so what happened?

Joseph didn't exactly tear up the SWAC on natural ability either. TSU's Cortez Hankton still had a decent season besides bad playcalling. Joseph just bloomed later than most, I don't attribute that to playcalling.

Bruce Petty could transfer now since the philosophy is changing.

Originally posted by Jag Voice
Cleb:
What the deal with the TSU coaching staff lately. It seems like every year for one reason or another TSU changes at least 2 assistant coaches.

Our offensive coordinator from the 2000 season (Charlie Coiner) left for the NFL (Chicago Bears) to oversee offensive quality control :confused: . Coiner has made a life of moving from position to position:

LSU Recruiting Coordinator and Special Teams Coach (98- 99)
Tenn. Chattanooga Linebackers Coach (98)
Louisville Tight Ends Coach and Recruiting Coordinator ( 95-97)
Appalachian State (3 years)
Minnesota (1 year)

Jag Voice, there is a tremendous number of hurdles that assistant coaches must deal with at Texas Southern (namely salary). So when Jagster mentioned that Orlando is currently making $71K... then Thomas will face some opposition with Slade and our VP of Fiscal Affairs (Quintin Wiggins) about this.

He will be raising is current salary to $71K up from low $60's at Southern. Increase of about $6K...the deal has already been approved from my understanding.

Actually, that might be a good move for all involved. Sometimes it is good for a coordinator to move around after being in one location for a long period of time. There's nothing wrong with the offensive package that Orlando ran, except that he really hasn't had an athletic enuff qb to run it since Randall left. Sam George didn't really do bad, but his height caused him to have some problems.

I think that the athletes that SU recruited hindered their productivity, plus the almost complete abandonment of the I formation and the running game. When Pete came from Winston Salem, he was more run oriented (probably from his time with Hayes (NCA&T's) who was once Pete's boss at Winston-Salem. Also, I imagine Pete wants to get someone on his staff to "coach" the qb position a little better than Orlando. If it's Eric Randall, then that would be a good choice!

Cleb:
Somehow I don't see a 6K raise and a lateral move in the SWAC a career advancement for Orlando. Don't be suprised if this is not a plan to make Orlando the next HC at TSU. We know Bill Thomas has not got the job done lately and shuffling assistant coaches every 2 years sure does not help anything.

Heeee is gone

It was reported on the locale Baton Rouge 6:00 Oclock news that Orlando is going to TX. Southern. ;)

GOOOD luck TX. Southern !!

Orlando had the talent even in the last couple of years you don't make it to the nfl roster with as little playing time as joseph had and start.
The biggest problem with orlando is he has trouble knowing what talent he has if it don't jump out and bite him.
He never for one center the offense around elvis and over looked bryon miner who in high school was always a speedy runnin back/punt returner/receiver.
He also had a problem holding a grude with some players in turn keeping alot of very talented players from having a fair shot

Talked to our Associate AD earlier and it's a done deal.

With him in place now... I think we are about to go after a "BIG NAME" Quarterback in the ........ let me shut up. ;)

Orlando has all the talent in his own back yard now....

Worthing
Madison
Eisenhower
Willowridge (from time to time)
Katy
Aldine
and the other 50+ high school in the Houston area.

good move, since black kids commit to a white recruiter anyway this is the ace in a hole.

All he has to do is pop in a SU tape from years past and tell folks this is what we can do. Great move.

Who will coach the defense now?

Cleb, you got Mike Hill and three other QB's on scholarship. You put another QB on scholarship this kid better be the next Air McNair. I am anxious to see how the running game will fare.

Originally posted by The Panther Fan

Cleb, you got Mike Hill and three other QB's on scholarship. You put another QB on scholarship this kid better be the next Air McNair.

Exactly... :D

Us alumni were surprised to see Courtney sign on the dotted line and now a reputable Offensive Coordinator??? Slade is loosening up those purse strings. Now all we need is a marquee QB to make it complete.

you already know it ain't who you think it could be...asked his coach and he is headed to the big time

The worthing kid might go due to his coach being from TSU, I threw PV at them and looked at me like I spilled poison at them.

Back