Ron DeSantis’ new law is racist — Black college athletes, NCAA need to boycott Florida

Olde Hornet

Never go anywhere you aren’t invited. This week, Florida Republican Governor Ron DeSantis did his best to uninvite anyone that isn’t white to the state’s colleges and universities. It’s time educators of color, Black athletes, and the NCAA boycott baby Trump.

“If you look at the way this has actually been implemented across the country, DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) is better viewed as standing for discrimination, exclusion, and indoctrination,” DeSantis said at a news conference earlier in the week. “And that has no place in our public institutions. This bill says the whole experiment with DEI is coming to an end in the state of Florida.”

The state will no longer spend money on DEI initiatives at its public institutes of higher learning. In case you didn’t know, DEI programs help predominantly white institutions (PWIs) increase diversity amongst their faculty and student body. Race, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status all fall under the DEI umbrella. Florida is joining 19 other racist states where politicians have aimed at similar programs. The only saving grace is that the new law doesn’t affect schools spending money on DEI programs if they’re federally mandated.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
A lot of bad things are going on in these red state legislatures…..Texas, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi & Tennessee comes to mind immediately, though they don’t have a monopoly on the depravity.

Never go anywhere you aren’t invited. This week, Florida Republican Governor Ron DeSantis did his best to uninvite anyone that isn’t white to the state’s colleges and universities. It’s time educators of color, Black athletes, and the NCAA boycott baby Trump.

“If you look at the way this has actually been implemented across the country, DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) is better viewed as standing for discrimination, exclusion, and indoctrination,” DeSantis said at a news conference earlier in the week. “And that has no place in our public institutions. This bill says the whole experiment with DEI is coming to an end in the state of Florida.”

The state will no longer spend money on DEI initiatives at its public institutes of higher learning. In case you didn’t know, DEI programs help predominantly white institutions (PWIs) increase diversity amongst their faculty and student body. Race, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status all fall under the DEI umbrella. Florida is joining 19 other racist states where politicians have aimed at similar programs. The only saving grace is that the new law doesn’t affect schools spending money on DEI programs if they’re federally mandated.
I actually believe high school and college football players (especially those who play in red states) should protest playing football until reasonable gun control laws are passed. But with respect to Florida, I don't believe this is a far-fetched idea.

You missed one! Alabama tuberville university :rolleyes:

I didn’t miss them, as stated those 5 don’t have a monopoly on it. There are a cadre of republican led state legislatures that could have been included. However, I believe the buffoon you named is in congress.

A lot of bad things are going on in these red state legislatures…..Texas, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi & Tennessee comes to mind immediately, though they don’t have a monopoly on the depravity.
Every state in the south is on that path, Louisiana included.

I actually believe high school and college football players (especially those who play in red states) should protest playing football until reasonable gun control laws are passed. But with respect to Florida, I don't believe this is a far-fetched idea.
Bro, them folks don't care about all these kids dying in school shootings. Do you think the threat of no football is gonna change them? If anything, they'll try to create legislation that prevents high school kids from doing it. And besides, why are we asking these high school kids to give up their seasons while the adults aren't being asked to make sacrifices for the greater good?

desantis is pissing on black folk in Florida and they ALL state w/ gleeful happiness it is rain and it tastes good.

Akin to wheelchair dude and AG paxon pissing on black folk in texas and we have dummies responding w/ "my potential NIL deal so I declare my physical services to tamu and ut-austin," among other PWIs, entrenched in their unchallenging basket weaving major.

Dummies. 😂

I did my part back in the gap by boycotting and saying "no."

Bro, them folks don't care about all these kids dying in school shootings. Do you think the threat of no football is gonna change them? If anything, they'll try to create legislation that prevents high school kids from doing it. And besides, why are we asking these high school kids to give up their seasons while the adults aren't being asked to make sacrifices for the greater good?
Exactly.

I can also agree with this

If the college adults and ESPECIALLY the pro athletes aren't doing it, I can't get on 17-18 year old for not doing it. I ALWAYS say that hardly any pro athlete today is willing to sacrifice ANYTHING for the bigger picture which is why the NFLPA always folds to the owners (and it's designed that way)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
First, I didn't just single out high school football players. I also mentioned college football players, especially those in red states.

I've lived here in Texas for over half my adult life. High school football in Texas is unlike anything you'll see anywhere else. They build schools here in Texas with football in mind FIRST before education. Look at Allen, Texas, where the outlet mall shooting took place. Allen has over 100,000 people, but the school district only has one high school... Just ONE. That is by design. It is all about football because the district would rather horde all of that talent in one place instead of creating more high schools that would divide the talent. And Allen isn't alone in doing this.

The overall point of my protest argument is that for all the efforts these high school students have made previously by walking out of the classroom to protest gun violence, adults don't care about those protests because there is no economic impact on their pockets. But if a football team decides it will not play football, that's a different story. Money would be lost. And that would have a trickle-down economic impact on a lot of pockets...especially in Texas football cities like Allen, Plano, Southlake, Duncanville, Longview, Marshall and Aledo.

As for college football, do you not remember how the people in Missouri were about to lose their damn minds when the football team made it known that they were not going to participate in any more football-related activities if the president didn't step down because they were tired of dealing with a number of racial incidents that took place on campus? They had a game scheduled that week against BYU. The president resigned two days later. I wonder why??? It was because of the money.

There is a precedent for players protesting football games. I'm not just making shit up.

First, I didn't just single out high school football players. I also mentioned college football players, especially those in red states.

I've lived here in Texas for over half my adult life. High school football in Texas is unlike anything you'll see anywhere else. They build schools here in Texas with football in mind FIRST before education. Look at Allen, Texas, where the outlet mall shooting took place. Allen has over 100,000 people, but the school district only has one high school... Just ONE. That is by design. It is all about football because the district would rather horde all of that talent in one place instead of creating more high schools that would divide the talent. And Allen isn't alone in doing this.

The overall point of my protest argument is that for all the efforts these high school students have made previously by walking out of the classroom to protest gun violence, adults don't care about those protests because there is no economic impact on their pockets. But if a football team decides it will not play football, that's a different story. Money would be lost. And that would have a trickle-down economic impact on a lot of pockets...especially in Texas football cities like Allen, Plano, Southlake, Duncanville, Longview, Marshall and Aledo.

As for college football, do you not remember how the people in Missouri were about to lose their damn minds when the football team made it known that they were not going to participate in any more football-related activities if the president didn't step down because they were tired of dealing with a number of racial incidents that took place on campus? They had a game scheduled that week against BYU. The president resigned two days later. I wonder why??? It was because of the money.

There is a precedent for players protesting football games. I'm not just making shit up.
You can add Prosper and Celina too.

I have found that the humans in Florida are a confused bunch of people. You have piss poor Hispanics and Cubans LOVING the republicans. Black folk who tap dance and c**n for the white people.
I know that we make sweeping general stmts like that all the time, but it’s not accurate. Florida has Black people who are engaged in the struggle - a lot of them but not enough, just like all other states.

First, I didn't imply that you only singled out high school players. Nor did I say you were making up football players protesting, either with your sensitive ass.

Additionally, I'm well aware of the interest and influence of amateur football in Texas. And since football at that level is everything in a lot of places, you'd be hard-pressed to see high school kids willingly not play in an attempt to be altruistic, especially in a state that is extremely beholden to the 2A.

But my comments were based on the actual reality that public officials in red states -- namely the governors -- have not been moved to act by actual loss of life of children and adults (which too also has an impact on the economy and workforce, by the way) and won't be moved by high school kids not participating in football, either. Nothing save for the loss of power will move them at this point. This is an issue they will not yield to.

As far as the Missouri example goes, Missouri state representative Rick Brattini in 2015 proposed a bill that would have stripped a college athlete's scholarship if the athlete refused to play with respect to a protest. Now, that bill was eventually withdrawn, but I bring that up to say not to put it past some Republican legislators to attempt to put the kibosh on dissent in that way.

As far as the Missouri example goes, Missouri state representative Rick Brattini in 2015 proposed a bill that would have stripped a college athlete's scholarship if the athlete refused to play with respect to a protest. Now, that bill was eventually withdrawn, but I bring that up to say not to put it past some Republican legislators to attempt to put the kibosh on dissent in that way.
I never said the decision to protest wouldn't come with some potential setbacks or challenges, but this literally is a life-or-death situation. You previously asked why we would ask kids to sacrifice to do something that adults wouldn't. It's because so-called "adults" haven't been forced to make any sacrifices. Gun legislation isn't being passed by state lawmakers because the NRA has made it profitable for them not to do so. There is no economic incentive for them to pass laws.

As for your argument regarding the Missouri case and the governor's 2015 attempt to revoke scholarships, remember that was pre-transfer portal. Kids now have options. A proposed bill such as the one proposed by Missouri's governor would be disastrous for any state football program. Students would never choose to attend those schools, bringing us to this very discussion and the BS Desantis is pulling.

Desantis is already starting to reap what he has sown. He tried to punk Disney. Instead, Disney turned around and gave him a $1 Billion dollar slap to the nuts.

I have found that the humans in Florida are a confused bunch of people. You have piss poor Hispanics and Cubans LOVING the republicans. Black folk who tap dance and c**n for the white people.

Texas as well (see Uvalde)

They get here and are just as anti-black as Dwights

That is why anyone who is for immigration/pushes a "black and brown" coalition is not the friend of black people

Back