Rickie Weeks progressing well for Brewers

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
By John Sickels
Special to ESPN.com

Gary G. writes: How quickly do you think Brewers prospect Rickie Weeks will advance? He was their first-round pick this year out of Southern University, and I was wondering if he is worth a fantasy investment at this point.

Weeks signed a few weeks ago, inking a contract in excess of $3.5 million. That's a lot of money, but I think he's going to end up justifying the contract.

Rickie Weeks was the second overall pick by the Brewers in this past June's draft.

I saw Weeks play for Beloit in the Midwest League three times last week, and was very impressed. Scouts say he's a Five Tool player, and from my perspective I think he's going to develop all Seven Skills. He's very athletic, but he also has substantial polish and good baseball instincts. He hammers breaking balls and changeups, and does a great job working the count. In the games I saw, he was a little behind on the fastball, fouling them off, but I think that's probably related to the fact that it took him two months to sign. His timing is off. There's plenty of bat speed there, so I don't think the fastball will be a problem for him long term.

a_weeks_i.jpg

The biggest rap on Weeks is his fielding, which is erratic. He has a strong arm, and good range and athleticism, but needs work on the routine play. I don't think there's anything wrong with his glove that extra experience won't cure, and I'm confident he'll be able to remain at second base. He would make an excellent outfielder though if the keystone doesn't work out.

Statistically, he's doing fine: .320 batting average with a .493 OBP and a .520 SLG in his first 16 professional games. Weeks should start next year in Double-A, and could see Milwaukee by this time next year. I think he's going to be a great player.

Just wait till he gets to Miller Park and play along side of Sexton.

Well for those of you that didn't know the Brewers traded their second baseman two weeks ago (no pun intend) so I think that's a clear indication of what they plan for Ricky.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
As of Today.....

With the last game of the minor league season today, these are Rickie's stats. There is some talk of bringing him up with the Brewers for a few games.

Beloit Snappers - Milwaukee Brewers Minor Team

Hitting, 2003

Player G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG
Rickie Weeks 19 61 12 21 7 1 1 15 15 8 2 0 .344

Good Luck Rickie!!

Back