SU
Jeremy Jason - DB, New Orleans
Michael McGrew - OL, New Orleans
Al Newman - QB, Baton Rouge
Michael Franklin - RB, San Diego State

GSU
Brandon Landers - QB, Monroe
Kovaris Hill - WR, Clinton

Remember: oral commitments are not binding.

Wednesday is signing day:cool:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Originally posted by thegooddoctor
SWAC Commitments:

JSU
Terrence Matthews - QB, Hinds CC
Byron Johnson - WR, Holmes CC
Cornell blakely - LB, Jones CC
Brandon James - DL, Glendale, AZ. CC
Jermaine Montfomery - RB/LB, Arkansas State
Darrian Billups - DL, Arkansas State

Remember: oral commitments are not binding.

Wednesday is signing day:cool:

Actually, all of these guys have signed except for Matthews. The rest are mid-year transfers.

you try to get that many JUCOs eligible in texas....your under investigation...see Texas State

as for PV's recruiting, rumor has it we'll field a Grambling State type of list (many signed but won't play until 2005)

Rickey Coley inks with Alabama State

Standout BCHS defensive lineman plans to study computer engineering
By LARRY WHITE
Sports Correspondent

BAY MINETTE -- Baldwin County High standout defensive lineman Rickey Coley announced Friday that he will sign with Alabama State University on National Signing Day in February.

Coley, a 6-1, 275 pound defensive tackle, was a key player late in the Tigers' season and helped them to a 6A playoff win over Enterprise and had a big game in a loss to Prattville in the second round.

"Rickey really played well in the latter half of the season and especially the final three games," BCHS coach Jack French said Friday.

"He improved a huge amount from the start of the season to the end. In fact, in our playoff loss to then No. 1-ranked Prattville he had an outstanding game," French added.

"If we all had played that well we might have knocked them off and went further in the playoffs."

Coley, the son of Rickey Coley Sr. and Veronica Coley, had nine solo tackles, eight assists, caused a fumble, recovered a fumble and had a sack against the Lions in Prattville.

"He is a pleasure to coach and has an attitude you can't beat. He is always looking to get better. He comes from a great athletic family," French said of his all-county standout.

Saying Coley comes from a great athletic family is a slight understatement.

His uncle is former World Heavyweight Boxing champ Evander Holyfield. His other uncles, Michael Coley and Raymond Coley, were standouts at Alabama A&M and Raymond played with the Los Angeles Rams.

His dad, Rickey Coley Sr., also played at the University of Alabama and Alabama A&M, and his younger brother Vincent was a tight enrunning back on this year's Tiger team.

"My dad was a little disappointed that I chose Alabama State over A&M, but he and my mom like the fact that I will be sort of close to home in Montgomery and they can drive to all the home games," Rickey Coley said.

Coley chose Alabama State over Alabama A&M, UAB, and the University of North Alabama.

Grambling State verbals are ...

Tavares Cochran, OL, 6-3, 295, Parker (Birmingham, Ala.) HS

Clyde Edwards, WR, 5-11, 170, Westbury (Houston, Texas) High

Brandon Gultrey, QB, 5-10, 160, McCall (Tallulah) High

Kovarus Hills, WR, 5-9, 180, Clinton (La.) High

Larry Kerlegan, QB, 5-11, 180, La Marque (Texas) HS

Brandon Landers, QB, 5-11, 190, Carroll (Monroe) HS

Xavier Jackson, WR, 6-3, 195, Parker (Birmingham, Ala.) HS

Mike Nichols, QB, 6-5, 220, Westbury (Houston, Texas) High

Deshon Pennie, DB, 6-0, 195, Nimitz (Houston, Texas) HS

Michael Rainey, RB, 6-1, 185, Vicksburg (Miss.) HS

Antonio Regist, T, 6-4, 300, Madison (San Antonio, Texas) HS

Antonio Shannon, TE, 6-4, 220, Mansfield (La.) High

Travis Singleton, TE, 6-3, 225, O.P. Walker (New Orleans) High

Mike Smith, OL, 6-5, 315, Vicksburg (Miss.) HS

Quentin Smith, OL, 6-2, 295, Centennial (Roswell, Ga.) High

Dee White, T, 6-2, 260, Richwood (La.) High

Jaguars add two more from New Orleans

SU adds two more commitments:
Kevin Alexander TE New Orleans
Gerard Landry WR Lutcher

Coach Tom Lavigne resigns. Has three offers. Wants to be Defensive Coordinator.

Clyde Edwards is the real deal too. He had offers from Colorado, LA- Lafayette and Iowa State. Plus he is an excellent student.

I wouldn't be surprised if he started for Grambling next season as a true freshman.

Grambling receives flood of commitments

Grambling receives flood of commitments

Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

February 3, 2004

Grambling State has seen a flurry of verbal commitments come as National Signing Day approaches - including two tight ends, a lineman and a punter.

Tight ends Travis Singleton of O.P. Walker in New Orleans and Antonio Shannon of Mansfield will attempt to move into a spot vacated by the graduating senior Gershone Jessie, an All-America candidate.

At 6-4, 215 pounds, Shannon is a member of this season's Louisiana Sports Writers Association Class 3A All-State football team. He was also the KTBS Channel 3 Student of the Week on Sept. 10 in Shreveport.

"This tall kid loves to make big plays," Mansfield coach Donald Mayweather said then.

"I just go up and get it," Shannon said. "I just use my height to my advantage and my long arms."

Shannon, a center since his freshman year, had initially planned to focus on basketball. He has said he wasn't sure he could "hang with the people. I liked (football), but I was focusing more on basketball. But after I watched them my freshman year, I realized, that with my size and speed, that I could do it."

Shannon would become Mansfield's leading receiver for much of his junior season.

Meanwhile, Singleton - Louisiana's No. 10 tight end prospect on the Zems Gems recruiting Web page - is 6-3, 225 pounds. He's listed at 4.8 in the 40-yard dash.

Two other current prospects - punter Larry Anderson of Redemptorist and lineman Quentin Smith of Centennial High in the Atlanta suburb of Roswell, Ga. - are cousins.

Anderson received second-team all-District 7-4A honors last season. He also played forward on school's basketball team.

That means the punter has seen quite a bit of success, as Redemptorist won the Class 3A state title in 2002 and the Class 4A title last season - finishing 15-0 and then 14-1, respectively. The Wolves also won the 3A crown in basketball last season.

The 2003 victory in football marked the first time a team other than Curtis or Salmen has won the 4-A title since 1992.

One of Anderson's teammates also visited Grambling State. But Redemptorist safety Mendel Esnault, who has academic troubles, has apparently decided to head to Kansas for junior college.

Smith (6-3, 295) was part of a group at Centennial High that gave head coach Mike Cloy his 100th career victory in 2003.

That makes 16 verbal commitments for Grambling State so far. National Signing Day, when college prospects sign NCAA national letters of intent, is on Wednesday.

Keith Mallory, Woodlawn
The gifted, 6-3, 170-pound senior returned two of his six interceptions for touchdowns from his defensive back position, and made 33 solo tackles among his total of 47. Colorado has offered him a scholarship, and Boston College, Morgan State, Delaware State and Howard are interested.

---------------------
will be at Prairie View

Bell hopes highway miles pay off today

Bell hopes highway miles pay off today

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Jackson State football coach James Bell has spent the better part of the last month driving all over Mississippi and beyond in a white Ford Taurus rental car searching for players.

Today, he'll take a break from behind the wheel and station himself by the fax machine in his office to see to what extent all that mileage pays off.

"The way my back feels right now, it feels like I've driven about 10,000 miles," Bell said jokingly. "I've been to Arkansas twice, Louisiana twice, all up around Noxubee County.

"We'll see. Our goal is to sign 20 to 25. Whether or not we get that, who knows?"

A year ago, Bell and his staff got a late start and were handcuffed by lack of available scholarships. The Tigers ended up signing nine players, only one of whom saw significant playing time last season.

Already this season, Bell and his staff have brought in five mid-year transfers: Holmes CC receiver Byron Johnson, Jones CC linebacker Cornell Blakely, Glendale (Ariz.) JC defensive lineman Brandon James and running back/linebacker Jermaine Montgomery and defensive lineman Darrian Billups, both Arkansas State transfers.

The Tigers have also received verbal commitments from Hinds CC quarterback Terrance Matthews and Pearl River CC running back Curtis Hayes.

JSU currently has four high school commitments confirmed by The Clarion-Ledger: Corinth offensive lineman William Davis, Meridian linebacker E.J. Hampton, Hattiesburg offensive lineman Andrew Smith and Brandon kicker Kevin Murriel.

Jeremy Jones, a quarterback from Mobile's Blount High, also is reportedly leaning toward JSU.

Davis, a member of The Clarion-Ledger Top 40, chose JSU over North Alabama. He also drew interest from Mississippi State and Memphis.

"I really enjoyed my visit last weekend," Davis said. "I like the atmosphere there. Hopefully I can come in right away and compete for a starting job."

The 6-foot-5, 285-pound Davis started every game at center as a junior and senior at Corinth. He played offensive tackle as a freshman and sophomore.

"I'm 6 feet, and William towers over me," said Frederick Taylor, Corinth's strength and conditioning/defensive line coach. "At the end of his sophomore year, he decided he wanted to be a player. He grew about three inches and put on 40 pounds, which helped. But he also put in a lot of work in the weight room and developed his body. He's gotten a lot stronger."

2004 football player recruiting list

Wednesday is signing day Jackson State

The Clarion-Ledger

THE REST OF THE TOP 40

Signed Name High School Position, Ht., Wt. College choices

William Davis Corinth OL, 6-4, 295 Committed to JSU
Nat Duvall Pascagoula OL, 6-5, 285 DSU, Marshall, Rice
Demone Goins Lumberton LB, 6-5, 205 USM, Marshall
Heath Grant Starkville LB, 6-1, 220 Committed to Memphis
Chris Johnson Murrah WR, 6-2, 200 JSU, USM, others
Cedrick Jones Wayne County DE, 6-6, 220 USM, Aub, WVa
Brandon King Moss Point DB, 5-10, 170 Marshall, Rice, Tenn State
Tony Miner Jim Hill RB, 5-10, 200 Committed to USM
Anthony Mitchell Oxford DB, 6-3, 190 MSU, others
Jeffrey Moore Jim Hill WR, 6-0, 165 DSU, JSU, MVSU, USM
Brandon Sumrall Perry Central DB, 5-10, 185 Committed to USM
Brandon Tate Noxubee County WR, 6-3, 215 W. Va., JSU, others
Zabran Taylor Brandon DB, 6-2, 180 Marshall, others
Roland Terry Lamar OL, 6-6, 255 Committed to MSU
Josh Winchell Southaven OL, 6-4, 300 Committed to S. Carolina

JACKSON STATE
Signed Name High School Position, Ht., Wt. College choices
Darrian Billups Arkansas State DL, 6-3, 295 Midyear transfer to JSU
Cornell Blakely Jones CC LB, 6-0, 225 Midyear transfer to JSU
William Davis Corinth OL, 6-4, 295 Committed to JSU
E.J. Hampton Meridian LB, 6-3, 205 Committed to JSU
Kevin Murriel Brandon K, 5-11, 190 Committed to JSU
Andrew Smith Hattiesburg OL, 6-2, 285 Committed to JSU
Brandon James Glendale (Ariz.) JC DL, 6-2, 295 Midyear transfer to JSU
Byron Johnson Holmes CC WR, 6-0, 185 Midyear transfer to JSU
Terrance Matthews Hinds CC QB, 6-1, 205 Committed to JSU
Jermaine Montgomery Arkansas State RB/LB, 6-0, 220 Midyear transfer to JSU

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Local route has assisted GSU

Local route has assisted GSU

Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

February 4, 2004

Grambling State coach Doug Williams expects to unveil yet another class of football signees today with a distinctly local flavor.

Over the past two seasons, Williams has signed 13 prepsters from northeastern Louisiana - and one more from nearby Vicksburg, Miss. Compare that with GSU's nearby Division I-A neighbors, Louisiana Tech and Louisiana-Monroe, which have signed 11 combined during the same period.

"We try to stay as 'Louisiana' as much as we can - but especially northeastern Louisiana," Williams said. "If he's a good kid that can help us - and he's local? That's all the better."

Williams' 2004 list of verbal commitments includes three more local players and two from Vicksburg. Tech and ULM, meanwhile, have none.

The gem of this National Signing Day for Grambling State would be Carroll High's Brandon Landers, the area's top offensive recruit. He verbally committed to play with the Tigers in December.

Richwood defensive tackle Dee White, Winnsboro quarterback/receiver Kenneth Miller and McCall High quarterback Brandon Gultrey round out the school's local prospects for the season. Williams also received verbal commitments from Vicksburg High running back Michael Rainey and offensive lineman Mike Smith.

Chances are, should they sign, each will play one day. Only three of GSU's local signees since 2002 are out of the program.

"The important thing about local talent is not just to bring in a kid because he's local," Williams said. "We try to bring in kids who are from here, but who will one day play."

Grambling State has already seen an aggressive approach to local recruiting pay off - as wide receiver Tim Abney (Neville High) and linebacker Dimitri Carr (Farmerville), both 2002 signees, saw significant playing time in 2003. Both have large contingencies of fans at Grambling's home games.

"This is a family-oriented institution," Williams said. "We want to bring their folks into the stands. Our games can end up being a family reunion."

Abney was the Tigers' third-leading receiver, pulling down 38 catches for 637 yards. His six receiving touchdowns tied him for No. 2 on the team. Carr played in eight games, notching 17 tackles and one interception.

Both are expected to earn starting positions this year.

Winnfield product Antwan Barnes from the 2002 signing class also saw playing time.

Meanwhile, both Tallulah signings from 2003 - offensive lineman Larry Reynolds and running back Justin Williams - are expected to contend for roster spots this season.

"We kept Larry in the weight room," said Melvin Spears, GSU's assistant head coach. "Both he and Justin qualified, so we will take a good look at them this spring."

Not every one plays immediately. While last year's group of prospects had the largest contingency of local talent, many of those athletes were academically ineligible - including Carroll High's Chris Byrd, Neville High's Cedric Harris and Newellton's Chris Snowden.

Still, each spent the year in Grambling State's strength and conditioning program. "The coaches sent them through a series of agility drills, so you know if they have the athleticism we're looking for," Spears said.

Byrd - a first-team all-district receiver when he signed with GSU in 2003 - could move into a regular playing role as early as this spring.

"He was a non-qualifier, but he's been in the program working out and getting ready," Spears said. "We look forward to him to becoming a part of the receiving corps this year. He'll be one of those trying to get into the rotation."

?The News-Star
February 4, 2004

Time for recruits to sign on dotted line

Time for recruits to sign on dotted line

By WILLIAM WEATHERS
wweathers@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

A second member of LSU's 2003 class who didn't become academically eligible is defensive back Daryl Johnson of O.P. Walker-New Orleans. Richardson confirmed on Tuesday that Johnson, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound Class 4A All-State selection as a senior, has contacted him about the possibility of enrolling at Southern.

A commitment from Istrouma All-State and All-Metro quarterback, Alfred Newman helped to give Southern's recruiting efforts a significant boost at a position of need.

The Jaguars not only lost standout quarterback Quincy Richard, but a fleet of solid wide receivers and defensive backs, including Erin Damond, who recently opted to leave school for the NFL.

"We had to replenish the wide receiver position," Richardson said. "We lost all of our starting group plus Jarmaul (George) has an injury and won't be able to practice in the spring.

"So we had to get our numbers and quality up there."

Southern's recruiting class received a boost with commitments from Clinton tight end/defensive end James Woods, defensive lineman Lionel Roberts (6-3, 280) of John McDonogh-New Orleans and wide receiver Edward Robinson (5-9, 170) of McDonogh 35-New Orleans.

Richardson said there's a possibility that he could bring in additional prospects this weekend, eventually giving Southern a signing class that could finish with 23 to 27 signees.

Alabama A&M Recruitments

Alabama A&M
02/04/04

Huntsville Times

Stanley Allen, QB
5-11, 170, Roanoke

Threw for more than 1,600 yards, 19 touchdowns and just five interceptions for Wadley HS ... Also rushed for more than 400 yards.

Mickey Baker, LB
5-10, 205, Quincy, Fla.

Was a standout performer at East Gadsden HS.

Larry Brantley, LB
5-11, 205, Atlanta

Had 89 tackles, including 48 solos for B.E. Mays HS ... Also had 13 sacks, 17 tackles for loss and three fumble recoveries ... Was named second-team All-Metro.

James Burns, QB/DB/WR
5-10, 190, LaFayette

Accounted for 30 touchdowns last season in leading Lafayette HS to a 10-2 record and into the second round of the Class 3A state playoffs ... Rushed for 750 yards and scored 14 touchdowns, while throwing for 712 yards and 11 touchdowns ... Had almost 500 yards in kickoff/punt returns ... Had 49 tackles at free safety, seven interceptions, including three for touchdowns and three fumble recoveries ... Was named first-team All-State as a defensive backs.

Detric Causey, TB

6-1, 195, Silas

Rushed for 1,359 yards and 14 touchdowns in leading Southern Choctaw HS to the Class 2A state championship ... Was named team's Most Valuable Player and also was a co-captain ... Scored 18 touchdowns as a junior, including three interception returns for touchdowns.

Al Donaldson, QB/DB
5-10, 165, Crawfordville, Fla.

Considered one of the fastest athletes to ever play at Wakulla HS.

Harold Dorman, QB
5-11, 160, Temple Hills, Md.

Threw for 2,661 yards, 27 touchdowns and just eight interceptions at Potomac HS ... Was named first-team All-State and All-Metro by the Washington Post ... Finished 28-5 as a starter with two state final appearances.

Freddie Dowdell, DT
6-2, 300, Auburn

Recorded 79 tackles, five tackles for loss and recovered two fumbles for Loachapoka HS ... Was named first-team All-Area each of the last two seasons.

Derrick Floyd, DT
6-4, 265, Stone Mountain, Ga.

Led Stephenson HS with 12 sacks.

Jonathan Ford, OL
6-0, 350, Orlando, Fla.

Was a Class 5A first-team All-State selection for Lyman HS ... Was also named to the All-Central Florida and Seminole Athletic Conference teams.

Whitney Garrett, DT
6-3, 270, Talladega

Recorded 85 tackles, including 19 tackles for loss and 11 sacks for Talladega HS ... Was a two-time All-Talladega County selection.

Jeffery Glover, DE
6-3, 190, Gadsden

Had 84 tackles and 11 sacks as a senior for Gadsden HS ... Was a first-team All-County selection ... Led Northeast Alabama with 20 sacks as a junior at Emma Sansom HS ... Picked Alabama A&M over UAB and Chattanooga.

Justin Harper, DE
6-2, 255, Gulfport, Miss.

Recorded 44 tackles and a sack for Harrison Central HS.

Jeremy Henderson, DT
6-2, 280, Prichard

Recorded 121 tackles and for 14 sacks for Vigor HS ... Was a first-team Class 6A All-State selection and was a first-team All-Region pick.

Alfred Jones, OL
6-0, 250, Mobile

Was a first-team All-Region selection for B.C. Rain HS ... Graded out 98 percent as a senior.

William Kennedy, OL
6-2, 240, Greensboro, N.C.

Graded out 91 percent as a senior ... Was named All-Conference and was selected to the play in the Oasis Shrine East-West All-Star game.

Chevon Kimbrough, DB
5-10, 180, Southfield, Mich.

Regarded as one of the fastest players to ever come out of Southfield-Lanthrop HS.

Tyrone King, DB
5-10, 190, Adamsville

Was an All-State and All-Metro performer at Minor HS ... A three-year starter, King has 4.4 speed in the 40 and recorded 14 career interceptions, including three for touchdowns to go along with 146 tackles.

Bobby McClain, DB
5-9, 190, Atlanta

Made 76 tackles, broke up 19 passes and had three interceptions for Grady HS ... Also caught 28 balls for 577 yards and seven touchdowns, while rushing for one touchdown and returning three kickoffs for touchdowns.

Antonio Regist, OL
6-3, 320, San Antonio

Was a first-team All-State selection at Madison HS.

Jimmy Richardson, LB
6-2, 200, Orrville

Had 115 tackles, including 71 solos, 18 tackles for loss and eight sacks for Keith HS ... Rushed for 708 yards on 110 carries and scored eight touchdowns ... Caught 15 passes for 210 yards and three touchdowns ... Was named first-team All-Dallas County.

Terrance Sharp, DB
5-9, 170, Memphis

Was an All-Metro selection at Fairley HS ... Played in the Memphis High School All-Star Game ... Led city with eight interceptions and had two interceptions in the All-Star game.

John Smith, TE
6-5, 250, Talladega

Had 48 catches for 896 yards and five touchdowns for Central HS ... On defense, had 71 tackles and two interceptions ... Was a three-time All-County selection and was named Best Receiver.

Gerald Stockdale, QB/WR
6-2, 220, Talladega

Completed 60 percent of his passes (127-of-213) for 1,585 yards for Central HS ... Also rushed for 548 yards ... On defense, had 87 tackles and two interceptions ... Was a three-time All-County selection and was the county's Offensive Player of the Year this past season.

Darius Turner, OL
6-4, 280, Birmingham

Regarded as a great prospect with unbelievable quickness for his size.

Dorian Waluyn, LB
5-9, 185, Tucker, Ga.

Finished fourth in Gwinnett County with 113 tackles for Meadowbrook HS, including a county-best 9.5 sacks ... Also had seven tackles for loss and forced six fumbles ... Was named All-Gwinnett County.

Anthony White, DL
6-1, 250, Atlanta

Had 103 tackles, including 55 solos, 21 tackles for loss and 12 sacks for B.E. Mays HS ... Was a first-team All-Metro selection.

Jermaine Williams, DE
6-0, 225, Mobile

Had 118 tackles and 12 sacks en route to earning All-State and All-Region honors for B.C. Rain HS.

Tramine Williams, DE
6-0, 225, Mobile

Recorded 107 tackles and 10 sacks for B.C. Rain HS ... Was an All-State honorable mention and a first-team All-Region selection.

Jarrod Wynn, OL
6-1, 335, Atlanta

Was a first-team All-City selection for Frederick Douglas HS ... Graded out 85 percent and had 53 pancake blocks.

Alabama State signees

Alabama State

Offense
Quarterback

Running backs
Tyrece Davis, RB, Fla.

Receivers
Paul Harrell, WR, Mo.
Mike Wesley, WR-DB, Ill.

Linemen
James Brown, OL-DL, Ga.
Darron Dunson, OL, Colo.
Sylvester Hatten, OL, Fla.
Antonio Hill, OL, Dothan/Northview
Nathan McCall, OL, Dothan/Dothan
Kris Myers, OL-DL, Ga.

Defense
Linemen
Rickey Coley, DL, Bay Minette/Baldwin County
Travis Eberhart, DL, Ga.
Ty Thompson, DL, Fla.
Brandon Walls, DL, Tenn.

Linebackers
John Hogan, LB, Fla.

Defensive backs
Brandon Averett, DB, Phenix City/Central
Patrice Brooks, DB, Troy/Charles Henderson
Martain Brown, DB, Ga.
Lael Harrison, DB, Ga.
Jerrod Kerrison, DB, Fla.
Marcus McCall, DB-WR, Tenn.
Travis Rayford, DB, Birmingham/Wenonah
Jacquez Williams, DB, Troy/Charles Henderson

Originally posted by the band fan
Kerlegan isn't coming to Grambling....he was at texas A&M this weekend....the "folks" got him

A confirmed listing of commitments for Grambling State now includes four quarterback commitments. Updated continuously throughout National Signing Day:

Larry Kerlegan, QB, 5-11, 180, La Marque (Texas) HS
Ranked No. 11 nationally among dual-threat quarterbacks by Rivals.com.

Grambling Signees

JSU Signings

At least 6 newcomers could earn starting berths for rebuilding JSU

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Coming off a 2-10 season, Jackson State football coach James Bell made it a priority to find immediate help by signing transfers from junior colleges or Division I-A programs to fill key areas.

Mission accomplished.

Of the 20 players Jackson State reeled in Wednesday on National Signing Day, four are junior college players and two are transfers from Division I-A Arkansas State, all of whom are expected to battle for starting positions.

Additionally, two junior college quarterbacks, Terrance Matthews of Hinds and Anthony Johnson of Pearl River, are still considering signing with the Tigers.

"That's the whole purpose of bringing those guys in," Bell said of the transfers. "You do as necessary to win. I'm hoping they have a big impact. They'll have the opportunity.

"We were looking to fill our needs. Nobody gets everything they're looking for, but we filled the majority of our needs. And we've still got some guys out there that we're waiting on."

Five of the transfers, Jones JC linebacker Cornell Blakely, Holmes CC receiver Byron Johnson, Glendale (Ariz.) JC defensive lineman Brandon James and Jermaine Montgomery and Darrian Billups from Arkansas State, enrolled in January and can participate in spring practice.

"I can't wait to get those guys out there so they can learn the system," Bell said. "We'll know more then about how much they're going to help us."

Pearl River running back Curtis Hayes , who signed Wednesday, won't be able to go through spring practice but could be a key player in what figures to be a wide-open running back derby. A hard-nosed runner, the 5-foot-11, 215-pound Hayes rushed for 694 yards and five touchdowns on 118 carries in helping Pearl River win the junior college state championship.

"Jackson State is getting a really good football player," Pearl River coach Tim Hatten said. "If he would've been a mid-semester guy, he probably would've been Division I-A. He's quick, he's strong, he's fast, and he can catch the ball out of the backfield."

JSU signed 14 high school players. Eight are in-state players, six are from out of state. Four of those players are lineman, three are linebackers and four are two-way players, giving Bell some flexibility.

One of those players is Callaway's Tomarcio Levy, who played cornerback, safety, linebacker, running back and even deep snapped for the Chargers last season.

"I like those multi-dimensional players," Bell said. "That's what we were looking for."

Corinth offensive lineman William Davis, a member of The Clarion-Ledger Top 40, is the top-rated in-state player to sign with JSU. Clinton offensive lineman Ben Davis was a second-team All-Metro pick. Bell was hoping to add at least one junior college/transfer offensive lineman but hasn't been able to land one yet.

"Overall, I think we had a good (recruiting) year," Bell said. "I feel like we're a lot better off than where we were last year. Are we where we need to be? No. But we've increased our talent level, and that competition (in practice) will make us better."

Jackson State signees

The Clarion-Ledger

Signee Pos. Ht. Wt. School/Hometown

Darrian Billups DL 6-3 295 Ark. St./Grand Prairie, Texas

Cornell Blakely LB 6-0 225 Jones CC/Waynesboro

Anthony Coleman DL 6-1 300 Fairview/Camden, Ark.

Ben Davis OL 6-2 255 Clinton

William Davis OL 6-4 295 Corinth

E.J. Hampton LB 6-3 210 Meridian

Curtis Hayes RB 5-11 220 Pearl River CC

Brandon James DL 6-2 295 Glendale (Ariz.) JC

Byron Johnson WR 6-0 185 Holmes CC/Canton

Tomarcio Levy DB/RB 5-11 190 Callaway

Brandon Montgomery FB/LB 5-10 245 Duncanville (Texas) High

Jermaine Montgomery RB/LB 6-0 220 Ark. State/Dallas

Kevin Murriel K 5-11 190 Brandon

Olandus Rogers RB 5-9 195 Whitehaven/Memphis

Andrew Smith OL 6-2 285 Hattiesburg

Reggie Smith WR 5-9 175 Noxubee County

Justin Spencer LB 6-1 205 Daphne (Ala.) High

Brandon Walls LB 6-3 200 Picayune

Randall Ward WR/DB 5-11 180 Bro. Rice/Southfield, Mich.

Stacy Young DB 5-11 185 Gainesville (Ga.) High

Is there a more current list out? I read were LB Justin Spencer of Daphne signed with Alcorn.

Harold Dorman, QB
5-11, 160, Temple Hills, Md.

Threw for 2,661 yards, 27 touchdowns and just eight interceptions at Potomac HS ... Was named first-team All-State and All-Metro by the Washington Post ... Finished 28-5 as a starter with two state final appearances.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man, you guys are getting a STEAL!!! this guy is a D1 prospect that UVA, UMD, and a couple of other schools were trying to get at the last minute (Ralph Friegden was trying to get the kid on UMD's squad as a grayshirt this season)...

This guy has a cannon for an arm, reads defenses well, and is equally adept in broken play/ open field/option situations.

he's going to really flourish in the pass-happy SWAC if he's able to win out at QB.

Back