Questions swirl as Texas Southern University president placed on leave

Texas Southern regent who defended ousted president Austin Lane resigns from board

“At the end of the day, it’s what’s in the best interest for me and my family,” Mitchell said Monday after tendering his resignation with Gov. Greg Abbott’s office.

“This has been a huge distraction,” Mitchell said. “It’s one of those things where I’d rather be on a board where there’s more logic and just a sense of decency, and unfortunately that’s not the right board.”

“I hope that the five years I spent on that board was enough to leave a positive impact for the students,” Mitchell said in a statement. Mitchell said he had chosen the “path of resistance and stood alone.”

“The good news is, my exit gives the governor an opportunity to honor the students, alumni and Houston community’s request to appoint regents who are undergraduate alumni and care about the well-being of Texas Southern.”

Last edited:
Texas Southern regent who defended ousted president Austin Lane resigns from board

“At the end of the day, it’s what’s in the best interest for me and my family,” Mitchell said Monday after tendering his resignation with Gov. Greg Abbott’s office.

“This has been a huge distraction,” Mitchell said. “It’s one of those things where I’d rather be on a board where there’s more logic and just a sense of decency, and unfortunately that’s not the right board.”

“I hope that the five years I spent on that board was enough to leave a positive impact for the students,” Mitchell said in a statement. Mitchell said he had chosen the “path of resistance and stood alone.”

“The good news is, my exit gives the governor an opportunity to honor the students, alumni and Houston community’s request to appoint regents who are undergraduate alumni and care about the well-being of Texas Southern.”

He needed to stay, everybody else needed to leave.

But TBH, nobody in their right mind would want to work with this board so things are looking bleak as far as great candidates

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Thanks, it appears the former assistant dean for admissions will be headed to a jail cell down the road.

Can anyone answer if it is normal for one person to handle who is admitted into a law school? It just seems like something that should be handled by a committee.

@tsugraytiger
Michael Olivas, a recently retired University of Houston law professor and former interim president of UH-Downtown, who was not involved in the investigation but has followed it in the media, said instances of wrongful admissions at universities aren’t uncommon.

What makes TSU’s handling of the situation so unusual, Olivas said, is that regents usually don’t deal with such matters. School officials had already dealt with Cannon when the board intervened.

“The thing that is extraordinary about this is not that that it happened, but that it came so inflamed and toxic,” Olivas said.

I still want to know if it is a standard practice for some law schools to leave admissions in the hands of one person with little to no over-sight. If any of you have the answer please provide. I still hold to the opinion that admissions in a law school are important enough to be handled and granted by a committee. No individual should have that much authority for granting admittance into professional programs at any university, and if it is so it definitely should not happen with little to no over-sight.

In my opinion, such a practice is ripe for abuse and was certain to lead to the type of allegations that have occurred. If it was not that assistant dean it would have been another. Some people are just simply corrupt, and there are others that are corruptible.

With that said, I'm glad it has been uncovered and exposed. Hopefully, it has lead to the right necessary changes and practices.

We have another we ran off ... we got a few more left

If he had never been a regent he still would have stayed too long. Good riddance!

We definitely have three more that need to go. Especially, the one that had two grievances filed against him. The nerve of some people,....make inappropriate inquiry to the man about the man's wife, and then later inappropriate remarks personally to the man's wife and expect the man to just sit by and do nothing about it.

Last edited:
See the source image

Third TSU board member resigns
Updated: April 13, 2020 9:24 p.m.

A third Texas Southern University board of regents member has resigned, according to a university spokesman.

Jay S. Zeidman, a managing partner at healthcare venture capital firm Altitude Ventures, has stepped down from his position, following in the footsteps of former board member Derrick Mitchell and former board chair Hasan Mack earlier this year.

Zeidman, who could not be immediately reached for comment, was appointed by Gov. Greg Abbott’s office in April 2019 and was set to serve through February 2025

Rice University knowingly and improperly used 215 federal science research grants, over a period of twelve years, to pay grad student stipends, tuition relief and administrative cost.

With that said, have any of you seen where their regents/trustees publicly acted a damn fool and rendered harm to the university their entrusted to safeguard like the idiots on the board at my TSU?

Rice pays $3.7M in science foundation fraud case

Rice University has paid the U.S. government more than $3.7 million to resolve claims that for nearly 12 years it improperly used National Science Foundation research and development awards, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

As of March 2020, Rice had 215 active science foundation grants that were specified for research “under uniform administrative rules,” Ryan K. Patrick, U.S. Attorney for the District Court for the Southern District of Texas, said in a news release.

Under those rules, the university should have only charged expenses to the awards if they were incurred for research purposes, were beneficial to the award, were vital for the operation of the awardee, and were in accordance with the agency’s terms and conditions, Patrick wrote.

Instead, Patrick said authorities learned that from November 2006 through September 2018, “Rice knowingly engaged in a pattern and practice of improperly charging graduate students’ stipends, tuition remission and related facilities and administrative charges to NSF awards.”

Back