Oyster Dishes

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Do you use oysters in anything you cook? What's some good oyster dishes?

In particular, what about gumbo? This dish seems to vary WIDELY from region to region. When I was in college i had a roomate from Charleston and her gumbo was much different than the gumbo I had in Texas (around mugz who overwhelmingly were from Louisiana) and then there was Alabama's version of gumbo, the SE Alabama version very modest by comparison.

The south carolina version (more like a stew) though, this chick was a geechee and went to the Kroger in Auburn to get cunk (conk??),, like some sea shell thing, for her gumbo or stew. In Texas, dis cat from BR had a pot full of stuff during the NFL playoffs,, :eek: man, da stuff in that big pot reminded me of them things in the movie "alien" or "alien vs preditor"! it was like chicken feet, crab legs sticking up, crawfish, all kinds of seafood, onions, potatoes, corn on the cob in a soup/stew. after a few brews it was good over some rice though. :tup:

I will eat cornbread dressing with oysters, but I will never cook anything with oysters.

Hey, I have heard of conch (conk), but I don't think I have tried it.

We do eat crab legs in our gumbo.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I will eat cornbread dressing with oysters, but I will never cook anything with oysters.

Not even fried oysters? well,,, i put them in some veggies with a can of oyster stew and put that over rice and it was fishy but not bad.

That is the first and last time I have ever seen conch other than on TV cooking shows. They (SCers,, at least those in the "low country" as they call it) who love to cook seem to use them a lot.

I thought fish tacos/burritos were weird until I had some. oh man,,, never had such good flavor as with a regular taco/burrito, but with grilled fish! :flippy: soooo light you could keep eating. :spin:

Do you use oysters in anything you cook? What's some good oyster dishes?

In particular, what about gumbo? This dish seems to vary WIDELY from region to region. When I was in college i had a roomate from Charleston and her gumbo was much different than the gumbo I had in Texas (around mugz who overwhelmingly were from Louisiana) and then there was Alabama's version of gumbo, the SE Alabama version very modest by comparison.

The south carolina version (more like a stew) though, this chick was a geechee and went to the Kroger in Auburn to get cunk (conk??),, like some sea shell thing, for her gumbo or stew. In Texas, dis cat from BR had a pot full of stuff during the NFL playoffs,, :eek: man, da stuff in that big pot reminded me of them things in the movie "alien" or "alien vs preditor"! it was like chicken feet, crab legs sticking up, crawfish, all kinds of seafood, onions, potatoes, corn on the cob in a soup/stew. after a few brews it was good over some rice though. :tup:

:vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

I've had conch before. To me it tasted like clams. I didn't really like it.

....somebody just died here in ATL from eating oysters.

Woman dies after eating raw oysters

By Elizabeth Lee
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/11/07

Fulton County health officials are warning against eating raw shellfish because it could be contaminated with vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria linked to the death of a woman who ate raw oysters at Spondivits Seafood & Steaks in early August.

The 52-year-old woman died Aug. 10, soon after arriving at a hospital. She ate uncooked oysters several days before her death, Fulton health officials said.

The Health Department did not identify the woman or the restaurant. But a corporate chef with Spondivits confirmed that Fulton health officials were investigating the popular south Atlanta restaurant.

Oysters and other shellfish harvested from the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico in summer months may be contaminated with the bacteria by the time they arrive at restaurants.

In this instance, it's unclear whether the restaurant's seafood handling may have worsened the oysters condition.

Fulton County health officials say they still are investigating the case.

Spondivits was closed for a day and asked to throw out all oysters.

The restaurant will not serve them again until cooler weather, said Glenn Gagne, corporate chef for Spondivits.

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/stories/2007/09/11/oysters0911b.html

I've never eaten them, and never will.

"Snake"

There was a saying about when to eat oysters, especially living so close to Appalachicola. I've always heard the thing about winter verses summer as the best time to eath tem. wow, yikes.

Back