Grambling 31, Savannah St. 27
Alabama A&M 22, Alcorn St. 21

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Grambling State over Savannah State
Alabama A&M over Alcorn State
Jackson State over Prairie View A&M
Alabama State over Miss. Valley
Southern over Texas Southern

Grambling State at Savannah State - GSU will be too much for SSU.
Alcorn State at Alabama A&M - The Bulldog D comes up strong again.
Prairie View A&M vs. Jackson- This will be the game of the week. The homecoming loss may be too much for JSU to overcome, but pride may be enough to carry them over.
Alabama State vs. Miss. Valley - ASU stays focused on their way to the SCG.
Southern vs. Texas Southern - ^^^^^^^^^

SSU can ruin Grambling State's season

Savannah State's football team has an opportunity to give Grambling State its first losing season since 1998, Doug Williams' first year as GSU's head coach.

Grambling (4-5) will play SSU (2-6) at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at T.A. Wright Stadium. GSU's season ends Nov. 27 against Southern University in the Bayou Classic in New Orleans.

SSU, which lost 52-14 to Coastal Carolina last Saturday, will host Hampton on Nov. 20 in its season finale.

"Somebody's got to pay," SSU coach Richard Basil said of the loss to Coastal Carolina. "Either this team (Grambling) or the next team (Hampton) is going to pay."

Williams, who replaced legendary head coach Eddie Robinson, guided Grambling to a 52-18 record and three Southwestern Athletic Conference championships. Last season, Williams guided Grambling to a 33-17 victory over SSU in the first game ever played between the two schools.

In February, Williams quit because he said he was discouraged by what he felt was Grambling's inability to deal with the football program's needs. He was replaced by interim head coach Melvin Spears.

"I just felt like I couldn't get things done that needed to be done," Williams told The Associated Press when he resigned to become an executive with the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers. "There was never any action on things I asked for. Nobody but me seemed to want to get things done. It ranged from very simple things like making sure the fields were kept up and taking care of the front of our building, to adding a seventh coach. Since I've been here, we've been a coach short. I wanted another assistant the same as everybody else has."

SSU coach Richard Basil, who has four assistant coaches, said he was not surprised by Williams' decision to leave, especially considering Williams played his first five seasons with Tampa Bay, then four seasons with the Washington Redskins. Williams' duties with the Buccaneers include evaluating pro players and assisting recruitment of free agents.

"When I heard it, it didn't baffle me or anything," Basil said. "He's paid his dues. I think it's a good thing. We need more black males in higher positions in the NFL, and in all of athletics. I don't think it hurt them (Grambling) any. Their program has such a rich tradition."

A native of Demopolis, Ala., Basil grew up well-aware of the Grambling program Robinson was building two states to the west in Louisiana.

"Grambling is one of the only HBCU (historically black colleges and universities) schools that I grew up knowing," Basil said. "When I was a little boy, I used to watch the 'Grambling Tigers Football Show With Eddie Robinson.' The man is a legend. He put that place on the map."

GSU injuries force change

Grambling's biggest loss came in its season opener against Alcorn State, when senior quarterback Bruce Eugene suffered a season-ending injury by tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Eugene, the NCAA Division I-AA leader in total offense for two years going into this season, was replaced by Brandon Landers, a 6-foot, 190-pound freshman from Monroe, La.

Landers has completed 113 of 283 passes - only 39.9 percent - for 2,011 yards and 17 touchdowns. He has been intercepted 15 times. In a 37-23 loss to Alabama State last Saturday, Landers fumbled three of the first five snaps he took and ASU recovered two of his fumbles in GSU territory.

Also lost to injuries are senior center Lance Wright, sophomore wide receiver Tim Abney and senior wide receiver Moses Harris.

"They like to run it now," Basil said. "They've kind of changed their offense."

Grambling may attempt to attack SSU more with its running game. GSU running back Ab Kuuan, a 5-foot-11, 214-pound junior from Sylacauga, Ala., has rushed for a team-high 356 yards and four touchdowns on 76 carries. Against Alabama State, Kuuan ran 12 times for 112 yards.

"(Our) defense is going to be ready to play but our offense is going to have to keep the (SSU) defense off the field more so that they can rest," Basil said. "We're going to run the ball at them (Grambling) some and, of course, spread the field with our receivers and see how deep they are in the secondary."

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/111104/2577394.shtml

Grambling State at Savannah State - 1:30p
Alcorn State at Alabama A&M - 1:30p
Prairie View A&M vs. Jackson- 3:00p
Alabama State vs. Miss. Valley - 6:00p
Southern vs. Texas Southern - 7:00p

Prairie View A&M vs. Jackson State- 3:00p
Alabama Statevs. Miss. Valley - 6:00p

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Grambling State 31, Savannah State 20
Alabama A&M 23, Alcorn State 21
Prairie View A&M 23, Jackson St 20
Alabama State 38, Miss. Valley 17
Southern 38, Texas Southern 14

Grambling State at Savannah State - 1:30p---Gram can't be that sorry
Alcorn State at Alabama A&M - 1:30p---aamu is that sorry, though
Prairie View A&M vs. Jackson- 3:00p---the lesser of 2 sorries
Alabama State vs. Miss. Valley - 6:00p---duh!
Southern vs. Texas Southern - 7:00p--DUH!!!

MACHIAVELLI said:
Prairie View A&M vs. Jackson- 3:00p
Alabama State vs. Miss. Valley - 6:00p

PNeck019 said:
Southern U. 40, Texas Southern 6
Alabama St. 38, Mississippi Val. 15
Jackson St. 30, Prairie View 21
Grambling 31, Savannah St. 27
Alabama A&M 22, Alcorn St. 21

Southern U. 6, Texas Southern 40
Alabama St. 21, Mississippi Val. 28
Jackson St. 14, Prairie View 17
Grambling 42, Savannah St. 7
Alabama A&M 17, Alcorn St. 20

UAPB-LIONS-AM&N said:
Southern U. 6, Texas Southern 40

For the record, if Southern loses to Texas Southern this afternoon, we all should get ready to meet our maker. :winkgrin:

UAPB-LIONS-AM&N said:
Southern U. 6, Texas Southern 40----Dude, crack kills!
Alabama St. 21, Mississippi Val. 28
Jackson St. 14, Prairie View 17
Grambling 42, Savannah St. 7
Alabama A&M 17, Alcorn St. 20

:smh: @ the fact he thought tissue tiggers were gonna put 40 points on YOUR 2003 SWAC and BCF National Champs.

Enjoy the SCG in pine puff!

Back