Offensive chemistry big plus for Jaguars entering season

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN

Advocate sportswriter

Now that three months have passed since the end of spring drills in mid-April, Southern University football coach Pete Richardson and staff have had more time to digest what they liked.
A developing offense got high praise.

"The most encouraging thing was the chemistry started to develop offensively," Richardson said.

That continued a trend Southern had in the second half of last season. Starter Quincy Richard was healthy for the last three games, ending an injury run that had all four quarterbacks playing, and the Jaguars won five of six down the stretch to finish 6-6.

The revolving door at quarterback hampered the team's adjustment to first-year offensive coordinator David Oliver.

"Going back in the spring was like a second time around for a lot of individuals for comprehension and a feel of what we're trying to do," Richardson said.

A healthy Richard, plus a young, deep, offensive line, will have to offset the loss of the top three receivers from last season, including wide receiver Michael Hayes, the school's career receiving yardage leader.

Hayes had 873 yards and nine touchdowns last season.

m?PEOPLES LIKELY TO RETURN: Richardson said he anticipated junior running back Kenneth Peoples being eligible for fall.

Peoples ran for a team-best 780 yards and three touchdowns in 12 games as the Southwestern Athletic Conference's Newcomer of the Year last season.

But Peoples did not participate in the second half of spring practice -- though he did dress for the spring game -- in order to concentrate on academics.

"The last three years, we didn't have a 1,000-yard rusher," Richardson said of three years without a SWAC title after three straight crowns through 1999. "We don't do very well unless we have a 1,000-yard rusher. All of our championship teams have revolved around us being able to run the football."

Peoples is currently in summer school and participating in voluntary workouts.

m?RICHARDSON DINNER: Richardson will speak at an on-campus dinner at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Blue and Gold Room of the Smith-Brown Memorial Union.

Athletic Director Floyd Kerr will also be on hand.

Tickets for the dinner, available at the door, are $30.

The event is sponsored by the Southern University Football Parents Association.

For more information, contact Donald Shelmire at 225-356-9000 or 324-7421.

m?SEASON TICKETS: The Southern University ticket office will be open Monday and Tuesday specifically to handle renewals and new season-ticket book accounts.

Current season-ticket holders who missed the renewal date may find their seats are still be available.

Seats are still available in most sections, ranging from $96 to $156.

The ticket office is located at 7722 Scenic Highway. The phone number is 225-359-9328.

Individual game tickets go on sale at 9 a.m. Aug. 11.

m?SCHEDULE NOTES: Southern's home game with Lincoln University will be played at 3 p.m. on Nov. 8. ... The Jaguars' road game with Texas Southern on Nov. 15 likely will be played at the University of Houston's Roberson Stadium.

m?PRESEASON ALL-AMERICANS: Grambling's pitch-and-catch tandem of junior quarterback Bruce Eugene and senior wide receiver Tramon Douglas have made The Sports Network's All-American first team.

Eugene threw for 4,455 yards and 45 touchdowns and ran for 535 yards and nine more touchdowns.

Douglas, a Glen Oaks product, had a breakthrough season, breaking Mississippi Valley State great Jerry Rice's SWAC record for yards in a season with 1,704, along with 18 touchdowns.

Southern senior cornerback Lenny Williams was named an honorable mention. Williams, who has started every game as a Jaguar, had 72 tackles, six interceptions and 15 pass deflections last season.

m?LAGNIAPPE: Junior linebacker Darryl Hurst (hand), who missed spring drills, and sophomore linebacker Greg Handy (knee), who has yet to play a down, are participating in voluntary summer workouts. ...

The school is awaiting word from the NCAA on senior offensive tackle Chad Green getting a year of elibility back for graduating with his class in May. The decision is expected to be a formality. ... Richardson said he'd bring Williams along as his defensive representative for the SWAC Media Day on Aug. 1 in Birmingham, Ala.

Click here to return to story:
http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/071303/spo_jags001.shtml

Originally posted by bluedog

"The most encouraging thing was the chemistry started to develop offensively," Richardson said.

That continued a trend Southern had in the second half of last season. ]

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bluedog

m?PRESEASON ALL-AMERICANS: Grambling's pitch-and-catch tandem of junior quarterback Bruce Eugene and senior wide receiver Tramon Douglas have made The Sports Network's All-American first team.

Eugene threw for 4,455 yards and 45 touchdowns and ran for 535 yards and nine more touchdowns.

Douglas, a Glen Oaks product, had a breakthrough season, breaking Mississippi Valley State great Jerry Rice's SWAC record for yards in a season with 1,704, along with 18 touchdowns.

Best part of the article. :tup:

I guess the more he says that "they turned it around at the end of the year" crap, you SU folks will believe it.

Originally posted by Get Ready
I guess the more he says that "they turned it around at the end of the year" crap, you SU folks will believe it.

GR, wakeup, nobody has posted on this thread since the 13th. It'll be alright soon. :bawling:

All Im saying is you played the weakest part of you schedule during the last half of the season. Now you can say your offense got on track or you played a bunch of sorry defenses....take your pick. A realist would say you played a bunch of sorry defenses.

Give it a rest Get Ready. Your material is old and tired. I would think with a unproven coach and so much uncertainty around your program that under acheived nearly as bad as mine, you could find something else to worry about.

Originally posted by Diesel
Give it a rest Get Ready. Your material is old and tired. I would think with a unproven coach and so much uncertainty around your program that under acheived nearly as bad as mine, you could find something else to worry about.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Worried...Im not at all worried about Mighty JSU.
You guys are the ones that need to worry.
Oops my bad
No you dont
You solved all of your problems this year.
Allen and Lincoln solved everything
Just think...next year you will have turned your offense around again. Isnt it amazing how that always happens?
And dont get mad at me cause I happen to have a habit of pointing out the truth.

GR,

Please explain how our having Lincoln and Allen on our schedule will keep jsu from winning a SWAC CHAMPIONSHIP this season?

Be real careful with your answer.

Back