Observation of SWAC Championship Game

Nonchalant

Hail, Hail To Thee...
Why is it that all the SCGs after '99 been so lackluster? In the '99 game, there were about 55,000-60,000 folks. The atmosphere was great and the football game was Hall of Fame. What happened?

...Carry On..

You had more events going on. The battle of the bands also contributed to this. The only way we are going to pack the stadium is bring some entertainment with it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Nonchalant said:
Why is it that all the SCGs after '99 been so lackluster? In the '99 game, there were about 55,000-60,000 folks. The atmosphere was great and the football game was Hall of Fame. What happened?

...Carry On..

You have to have Southern vs JSU for that kind of atmosphere.

CurtDog 1971 said:
You cats are funny. It wasn't SU/JSU the first time. It was the battle of the bands. :retard:

No, you had fans from all schools at the first game. And you still have many fans from the State to show up. I know a lot of fans from AlSt and AAMU attend each game. Even the JSU Mafia continue to show up each year. The frist game cannot be based on the fact that SU and JSU played. BTW, each school was given tickets to sell for the first game.

You had the battle of the bands, Southern, $5.00 upper deck tickets, an absolutely picture perfect day, plus support of ASU and A&M graduates and in the area. If you had those factors last year the crowd would have been much larger than 99.

enswaclopedia said:
You had the battle of the bands, Southern, $5.00 upper deck tickets, an absolutely picture perfect day, plus support of ASU and A&M graduates and in the area. If you had those factors last year the crowd would have been much larger than 99.

Yep, and I a large number of people from Huntsville at the game.

Nonchalant said:

...Carry On..

...it was because of you JSU; yall haven't played since, and the SCG aint been the same. You are the greatest and we need you! :bowdown: Everybody else is beneath you. Ya'feel better now? :wavey: You straight?! :tup:

"Snake"

CurtDog 1971 said:
No Curt

YOu just need JSU alone. Without JSU the SCG and the SWAC is a failure. Last year SU was there and it looked like a Pop Warner game. The game was created to fill the pockets of Rudy. He was hoping that JSU and SU would consistently show. But since JSU has not shown, the SCG has constantly gone downhill. Last year it hit rock bottom. It will pick back up this year.

Last year the weather was horrible and you know it. SU has the largest traveling fan base in the SWAC and maybe the country.

To be honest, there were more folks in the bathroom at the SCG warming up than there were diehard football fans in the stands. Even those ASU bruhs sporting the matching black and gold full link minks were hanging out in the boys room! It took me 3 qtrs to figure out where the hell my wife and sister-in-law were....

:cool:

Get Ready said:
No Curt

YOu just need JSU alone. Without JSU the SCG and the SWAC is a failure. Last year SU was there and it looked like a Pop Warner game. The game was created to fill the pockets of Rudy. He was hoping that JSU and SU would consistently show. But since JSU has not shown, the SCG has constantly gone downhill. Last year it hit rock bottom. It will pick back up this year.

You guys can't even draw at home. As of recent, you have not been putting much thought in what you type.

CurtDog 1971 said:

Yes, the denial of this fact is perplexing. I guess if Valley and PV played in the SCG with a battle of the bands, there would be 50K in attendance right.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
northern tiger said:
Yes, the denial of this fact is perplexing. I guess if Valley and PV played in the SCG with a battle of the bands, there would be 50K in attendance right.

Dude, do you realize that a battle of the bands can bring in 65000 plus alone. :xeye: The bands are the biggest draw in the SWAC lets be real. Who wants to see the same teams play twice. Go to a seven game format, provide entertainment, bring the battle of the bands back and you have sold out Legion Field.

I was at SCG I. IMHO, Curtis 71 hit the nail on the head. Many people tend to forget just a couple of months earlier, 63K was in Jackson Memorial to watch the first show down between SU vs. JSU. IMHO, maybe 5% of the attendance were outside of S.U. and JSU people. You had blue & white and blue and gold "for days" in the stands.

I have noticed many have the proclivity to exaggerate the facts. Many people don't consider the quality of product on the field. That 99 matchup featured 2 first round draft choices, All SWAC Michael Hayes, Destry Wright and a host of great players. The SCG simply have not had a matchup with two teams with the aforementioned caliber of players.

A lot of you under estimate the savvy of SWAC football fans. There is a reason that the BC eclipsed 70K last year. There is a reason why when Jerry Rice or Steve McNair came to your town there were record crowds. There is a reason JSU football attendance rocked the house in the 80's. There is a reason 76K showed up to the BC in 74. They all had quality football teams with upper echelon play makers. Other intangibles play a factor such as weather. But I can tell you now many SWAC fans will not watch junk. I have a couple of long time friends from JSU and have been told by them emphatically that they refuse to watch that mess. As a matter of fact they were displeased that jsu even beat Valley. They are "PO'd" and want Bell out of Jackson. These are avid fans that have been going to games for years including SCG I........Peace

GR has some friends that are SU fans. GR dont leave them in his house by themselves though. GR has been trying to call them all week, but they wont answer the phone. So to be honest, GR dont know how they feel about last weeks embarrassing debacle in Mumford. As GR gets that information, he will pass it along.

I agree with you JROCK. The 1999 game was a success because it was a JSU - SU game AND because of the great teams we had....I will say...there is not a team in the SWAC currently that would want to see JSU or SU from 99. lol. Not one... We have, as a conference, fallen off. It's evident in the SCG too.

Now, it SHOULDN'T matter who plays in the SCG....but you have to know that it DOES. I mean THANK GOD Southern made it to the SCG last year...if we had one more year without Southern or Jackson there the things may have folded all together.

I agree that Rudy probably figured JSU and Southern would be in there every year...hell everybody did. lol.

also realize... any SWAC Championship game that doesnt involve AAMU or ASU is going to have a nice turnout because you will have alot of fans from 3 different east schools. ASU fans and AAMU fans are going to be there reguarless... when you add those two with a different team representing the EAST that will be good representation of 3 EAST schools.

CEE DOG said:
Dude, do you realize that a battle of the bands can bring in 65000 plus alone. :xeye: The bands are the biggest draw in the SWAC lets be real. Who wants to see the same teams play twice. Go to a seven game format, provide entertainment, bring the battle of the bands back and you have sold out Legion Field.

Exactly... the Battle of the Bands this weekend in Birmingham will have more in attendence than any SWAC game so far this year... There were 65-70,000 last year.

we have people complaining that DONT EVEN GO to the SWAC championship game... DONT GO DONT COMPLAIN.

Back