MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
From The Charlotte Observer : Posted on Sun, Aug. 24, 2003

Musicians feel the beat and the heat at `battle'
Bands compete in style during 6-hour contest
http://www.enkaentertainment.com/

EUGENE SCOTT
Staff Writer

Bands from historically black colleges and universities -- and one from West Charlotte High School -- blasted the best of old-school R&B and the latest hip-hop Saturday before a crowd of 15,000 at American Legion Memorial Stadium.

"Defeat the Beat: Battle of the Bands" played on in sometimes-sweltering heat for nearly six hours. Performers from Benedict College in Columbia, Florida A&M University in Tallahassee, Fla., Howard University in Washington, D.C., Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte and N.C. A&T in Greensboro competed for a $25,000 first prize, which N.C. A&T captured.

"To have five HBCUs (historically black colleges and universities) showcase their talent was indeed something to behold," said Patrick Cannon, Charlotte mayor pro tem. "It's the kind of event that should come back to Charlotte because it gives an opportunity for those that have attended HBCUs an opportunity to enjoy each other once again."

Though the only high school to perform, West Charlotte played some of the same complicated music as the university bands. West Charlotte was criticized by some last year for its performance at the Carolinas' Carrousel Parade. But Saturday, some officials said ignorance of various cultures leads to misunderstanding.

"A lot of people don't understand the history behind black college bands," said county commissioner Norman Mitchell. "It's a cultural thing. At the end of the day, we just want to see a good show and hear good bands."

Each band had its own distinctive flair. Benedict played music by Charlotte's own, gospel favorite John P. Kee, while FAMU's Marching 100 set their instruments aside and showed that they could sing as well, delivering a spirited rendition of "Praise Is What I Do."

Howard's "Showtime" marching band included elementary school-age dancers. N.C. A&T's majorettes twirled batons of fire.

Emergency workers treated about 50 people -- mostly band members -- for heat exhaustion, said Tony Bateman and Rob Brisley, captains with the Charlotte Fire Department.

"Some had been out here all afternoon and hadn't drank enough fluids, specifically water," said Bateman.

SHARON E. WHITE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS REPORT.

? 2003 Charlotte Observer and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.charlotte.com

1. North Carolina A&T Blue and Gold Marching Machine
2. Howard University Showtime Band
3. Florida A&M Marching 100
4. Johnson C. Smith Institution of Sound

How was that judged and what was the criteria???

How in the world can a band with the musical quality like FAMU be beaten by N.C. A&T??? Could it be because the meeting place gave them home field advantage???

Re: How was that judged and what was the criteria???

Originally posted by Legend35
How in the world can a band with the musical quality like FAMU be beaten by N.C. A&T??? Could it be because the meeting place gave them home field advantage???

Easy - A&T came in and handled their business better than FAMU did. Clips, posts and pics over on the 5Q tell the bulk of the story.... if you have time to read.

Any band can have a less than perfect or less than exciting performance and be out done by another band.

Oh, and FYI, JCSU is the home band in Charlotte. The stadium that held the event is about 3 miles from JCSU's campus. I heard the crowd went crazy when JCSU took the field, even though they only pulled off 4th place.

Computers and I don't get along!!!

For some reason I couldn't see the clips but, I read all the articles. At any rate congratulations and I'm glad that atleast all the participating bands received something for their participation.

Back