NFL DRAFT

wahines said:
It is a shame that Eugene did not get drafted. Scoring a 41 on the Wonderlink Test and has talent to make all of the throws that the NFL require an NFL QB to make. It is awful that Eugene has to make the NFL through the Free Agent route. :shame:

That may not be a bad thing. He has a chance to show off his talent with the Saints. You know there will be a lot of talented players that is not going to make the draft. Back in the days they has up to 14 rounds so a lot more players were able to get drafted than now.

Mr. Tiger said:
Titans select VINCE YOUNG!!!!

Houston is the clear winner in this draft with the 2 picks they got...................Vince Young and LenDale White.:cool:

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Lendale was still out there in the second round.
The TITANS got the steal of the draft in Lendale.:bowdown:

Forget the weight, THAT HE GAINED REHABING, that he LOST after.
The guy was performing on the field BEFORE/DURING THE REGGIE BUSH all world chant's.:hat:

The GIANT's got the 2nd biggest steal of the draft 1 pick before in Sinorice Moss.
That guy can flat out play..................forget the size.
He's just like the guy from Carolina.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This was a mistake by the NFL not to take him as a QB. Note that Carson Palmer is the QB in Cincinnati.
-----

May 1, 2006, 1:38AM
Ags' McNeal gets chance to catch on
Bengals see quarterback as receiver, returner

By MICHAEL MURPHY
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

He wasn't drafted as a quarterback, but Texas A&M's Reggie McNeal was happy to hear his name called Sunday, the second day of the NFL draft.

McNeal was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals with the 24th pick in the sixth round (No. 193 overall). He is being projected as a wide receiver or return man by the team.

Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis, noting McNeal's 4.35 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, said, "In a sense he does become our (Antwaan) Randle El."

Lewis was referring to the former Indiana quarterback, a multi-dimensional threat now with the Washington Redskins after four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

While Lewis is upfront about McNeal's likely new role, he isn't averse to giving the Lufkin product a look at quarterback.

"He wanted the opportunity to play quarterback," Lewis said. "I'm not saying we won't give him that opportunity. We feel we want to enhance him as a football player. We drafted a football player here who is very fast and a very good athlete."

Translation: "We drafted a wide receiver."

McNeal hasn't played that position since his freshman year at Lufkin, but that's not going to prevent him from giving it his best shot.

"Yeah, I've watched a couple of players like that," McNeal said at the Bengals' press conference. "Randle El and Kordell Stewart, when he was playing. They did stuff like that. I'm going to try to do it better. I feel like I can do it, but I just want to be on top of everything else."

Translation: "I still want to play quarterback."

This is the sleeper and now my Falcons will have to face him 2 times a year.

DeAngelo Williams Draft Profile
DeANGELO WILLIAMS
Tailback
University of Memphis Tigers
5:08.5-217
Wynne, Arkansas
Wynne High School

OVERVIEW
This compactly built athlete is an exceptional open field runner who has proven to be dangerous any time he breaks free around the perimeter. Since becoming the full-time starting tailback in 2003, Williams has ranked among the top five players in the nation in rushing each of the last three years.

Williams was regarded as the premier running back in the state of Arkansas as a senior in 2001 at Wynne High School. He earned All-American recognition from Super Prep, a publication that rated him among the top 25 runners in the nation and also accorded him All-Region honors. He was named the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette 2001 Offensive Player of the Year and was a member of the Associated Press Arkansas Super Team.

Williams rushed for a school single-season record 2,204 yards and 34 touchdowns, averaging 10.4 yards per carry as a senior while leading the squad to the state 4A championship. He totaled 939 yards rushing in four playoff games that year, including 26 carries for 302 yards and six touchdowns vs. Greenwood High.

Williams gained 1,044 yards rushing with fourteen touchdowns as a junior. He picked up Arkansas All-State honors that season. He missed most of his sophomore season with a broken bone in his foot. Williams lettered in track and holds the state 4A record in the 100 meters with an electronically-timed 10.81 seconds. He helped Wynee High to a second-place finish in the 2001 state track championships.

He appeared in ten games as a true freshman at Memphis in 2002. Williams led the team with 684 yards and five touchdowns on 103 carries (6.6 avg), despite starting only three contests. He also averaged 23.3 yards on eighteen kickoff returns.

Drawing comparisons to Hall of Fame tailback Barry Sanders, Williams led the nation in all-purpose yardage (192.09 ypg) and ranked fifth in rushing (130.0 ypg) as a sophomore, but missed close to three games with a right knee ligament tear. He amassed 1,430 yards and ten touchdowns on 243 carries (5.9 avg) and snatched 35 passes for 384 yards (11.0 avg), including three scores. He also returned thirteen kickoffs for 299 yards (23.0 avg) to earn Conference USA Player of the Year honors.

In 2004, Williams again captured Conference USA Player of the Year accolades. He finished second in the nation in all-purpose rushing (185.83 ypg) and third in rushing (162.33), but suffered a right fibula fracture in the GMAC Bowl. He rushed 313 times for 1,948 yards (6.2 avg) and a nation-high 22 touchdowns. He added 18 catches for 210 yards (11.7 avg) and a score, and 72 yards on four kickoff returns.

Even though he sat out the Tennessee game with a mild ankle sprain, Williams went on to lead the nation in rushing, averaging 178.55 yards per game. He broke his own school and Conference USA season rushing records that he set as a junior, as he carried 310 times for 1,964 yards (6.3 avg) and eighteen touchdowns. He gained 78 yards with a score on twelve catches and ranked fourth in the NCAA Division 1-A ranks with an average of 188.6 all-purpose yards per game.

In 44 games with the Tigers, Williams started 36 times. He holds virtually every school and conference rushing, all-purpose yardage and scoring record for a career. He rushed 969 times for 6,026 yards and 55 touchdowns, becoming only the fourth player in Division 1-A annals to rush for over 6,000 yards in a career. He caught 70 passes for 723 yards (10.3 avg) and five scores. Williams also returned 37 kickoffs for 824 yards (22.3 avg). His 7,573 all-purpose yards set a collegiate record and his 362 points scored rank ninth in Division 1-A history.

Read Story

Back