New North Carolina A&T chancellor

EB

North Carolina A&T Names Its Next Leader
The UNC System Board of Governors is expected to approve James R. Martin II, a current vice chancellor at the University of Pittsburgh, as the next leader of the country’s largest HBCU.
by Joe Killian
June 21, 2024

North Carolina A&T’s next chancellor will be James R. Martin II, the current vice chancellor for STEM research and innovation at the University of Pittsburgh.

The UNC System Board of Governors unanimously elected Martin to the position Friday. He will begin August 15.

“He’s a son of the rural South raised not too far from here in South Carolina,” UNC System President Peter Hans told the board Friday morning. “Dr. Martin knows just how much higher education has done to light and lift up this region.”

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Kimbrough is just hating at this point. He probably applied and didn't get the gig like with PV. He's been making the rounds. He hasnt learned that opening his mouth when he doesn't need to can hurt him. Isn't he the same guy who openly trashed the TSU job in an op ed but then turned around and applied for it? And then he wonders why he can't get a job.

Last edited:
I do not know where all he has applied, but he did talk about the TSU board.

The new A&T chancellor has a nice resume/vita and may do an outstanding job. I prefer for a new HBCU chief executive to have previous HBCU experience.

Kimbrough was still at Dillard when he wrote this.

View: https://twitter.com/DiverseIssues/status/1234865187544543232

Yeah and he's been applying for gigs since he left dillard. This is the hit piece I was talking about. He probably was right but why would that same tsu board hire him after this?

1. While I don't want to criticize TXSU, it's fair to say that the new president doesn't possess any remarkable qualities. However, if we were to compare TXSU to the university he previously worked at, TXSU is significantly more advanced and progressive.

Felician University ENROLLMENT (1,900)
ENDOWMENT (7.5 million)-2023US NEWS Report

TXSU ENROLLMENT-(8198) 2023-2024
ENDOWMENT(90 million) 2023 US News Report.

Last edited:
1. While I don't want to criticize TXSU, it's fair to say that the new president doesn't possess any remarkable qualities. However, if we were to compare TXSU to the university he previously worked at, TXSU is significantly more advanced and progressive.

Felician University ENROLLMENT (1,900)
ENDOWMENT (7.5 million)-2023US NEWS Report

TXSU ENROLLMENT-(8198) 2023-2024
ENDOWMENT(90 million) 2023 US News Report.
We agree to disagree on this one. I'll say upfront I'm a veteran and might be biased. He has served as a university board trustee, president and achieved the distinction of being the top ranking officer in the navy jag officer corps. Those are not accolades that just happen to any person, and certainly not a black man in America. We'll see how it goes, but I think having the attribute to see from both vantage points as an administrator and former board member will serve him well at my TSU. I also think his leadership will bring in a culture of accountability and order sorely missing at many institutions.

Back