New Jordan shoe $200.00 a pair

JSU*Toi

BEAVERTON, Ore. -- Air Jordan, the most successful brand of Nike basketball shoes, is taking a vertical leap with a price of $200 a pair.

Packed in a metallic silver briefcase instead of a shoebox, the Air Jordan XVII arrives in stores next weekend, accompanied by a $10 million national advertising campaign with TV spots orchestrated by filmmaker and well-known basketball fan Spike Lee.

Too good for a shoebox? The new Air Jordans will come in a special metal briefcase.

The competition, meanwhile, is trying to keep up. Reebok International is taking a similar approach with a $125 shoe promoted by Philadelphia 76ers guard Allen Iverson and singer R.Kelly, among other sports and entertainment stars.

Analysts say high-priced shoes are mostly a gimmick to get customers into the stores, where they'll buy other Nike products. But the Beaverton-based athletic shoe and clothing maker has come up with a well-designed and neatly packaged gimmick.

Still, don't start looking for these pricey shoes on basketball courts.

"Most of them will never see the street," said John Shanley of Wells Fargo Securities in New York. "Kids call it a 'keeper.' They basically keep it under their bed and when friends come over, show it to them."

Tyson Frodsham, a high school sophomore who lives near Nike headquarters, agreed.

"I'd probably hang them on a mantle or on my wall or something," he said.

rare_air

Now that does not make any dang sense. I wish my child would ask me for some 200.00 shoes... Please I just don't understand

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have never owned a Jordan and the way things look, never will.....

200.00 for a pair of sneakers??? My lawd. What is this world coming to? And the sad part about it is, that some people will buy them and know dayum well that that money could be better spent on something else.

I have some Jordan's and they are very comfortable shoes. However, I normally get mine after the novelty has worn off (which means the price drops)!

I have known about them being $200 for a few weeks now. As soon as the novelty wears off and they get rid of that damn briefcase. Just give me a box. If that doesn't work, ebay will always hook me up!!

Word is that the Jordan's are supposed to come with a DVD as well. I don't know if that's true or not. But $200 is too dayum high for some shoes. The only person other than my family and myself I would even consider spending $200 in a lump like that would be my girlfriend.

And I don't have one of those so I don't have to worry about that!!

Back