New deal, bigger payoff - Chick-fil-A Bowl to pick No. 2 ACC team :"The Boys&qu

Jafus (Thinker)

This is type of game the BCS member and Bowl Committees are playing. This is big time and serious business.

If BCF is indeed going to operate in this field, then how do BCF Officials play the game effectively to create an infrastructue and environment to place BCF in a position to take advantage of this enterprise?

Is the MEAC planning on positioning itself to capitalize in some format with the potential expansion of the conference to 12 football (14 total) participating members?

New deal, bigger payoff
Chick-fil-A Bowl to pick No. 2 ACC team

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/1205/29peach.html?cxntnid=sprt122905e

By TONY BARNHART
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 12/29/05

The Peach Bowl's new deal with Chick-fil-A will pay its first big dividend Thursday when the ACC announces it will send its No. 2 team to Atlanta, beginning in 2006.

ACC commissioner John Swofford and Peach president Gary Stokan confirmed to the Journal-Constitution the deal had been reached and will be announced Thursday at a news conference at the Georgia Dome.

Since 1993, the ACC has sent its No. 3 team to the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl to play the No. 4 or No. 5 selection from the SEC. In exchange for the No. 2 pick, which currently goes to the Toyota Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, the ACC will see its payout increase from $2.4 million this year to $3.25 million in 2006.

"What you have to say is that the Chick-fil-A Bowl has earned this opportunity," Swofford said from his office in Greensboro, N.C. "When we met with our athletic directors, we just decided that Chick-fil-A had really stepped up to the plate and that this made a lot of sense for our conference."

Earlier this month, Chick-fil-A signed a five-year, $22 million deal for naming rights to the Atlanta bowl. Starting in 2006, the game will be known as the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

The Chick-fil-A Bowl is still in negotiations with the SEC on its new contract. Currently, the first four teams from the league go to the BCS, Capital One, Outback and AT&T Cotton bowls. If the Chick-fil-A is not able to get a higher pick, the SEC's payout from the game will remain at $2.4 million.

"We love our relationship with the SEC, but the ACC was willing to make a very important commitment to us and we felt they should be rewarded for that," Stokan said. "It just makes our game stronger and more attractive."

The move made sense to the ACC because it picked Jacksonville, the home of the Gator Bowl, as the site for its new conference championship game, which debuted on Dec. 3. By giving the No. 2 pick to the Chick-fil-A, the loser of that game could come to Atlanta instead of going back to Jacksonville, as Virginia Tech is doing this season.

But this decision, as most in the bowl business are, is also about money. According to the Gator Bowl's Web site, it paid $1.6 million each to the ACC and Big East last season. According to Chick-fil-A's Web site, the Atlanta bowl paid the ACC and the SEC $2.35 million each after last year's game between Miami and Florida.

"The fact is that financially this bowl has grown into a very solid situation for us," Swofford said. "The fact is we're a much deeper conference now and so we'll have more quality teams at the top of our bowl inventory."

In the past two years, the ACC has added Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College to form a 12-team league.

Re: New deal, bigger payoff - Chick-fil-A Bowl to pick No. 2 ACC team :"The Boy

They are shooting to become the next BCS bowl game. Getting the #2 ACC school almost automatically ensures them of that and the bowl getting either Virginia Tech, Miami, or Florida State on a yearly basis. Even if they get another school other than those three, that school would have to have a great season to get past them. Once they get a higher pick from the SEC it will be a lock.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

GRAM4LIFE said:
They are shooting to become the next BCS bowl game. Getting the #2 ACC school almost automatically ensures them of that and the bowl getting either Virginia Tech, Miami, or Florida State on a yearly basis. Even if they get another school other than those three, that school would have to have a great season to get past them. Once they get a higher pick from the SEC it will be a lock.

the peach bowl makes me SICK. :rolleyes:

The pressure is on Dallas and the Cotton Bowl. The new stadium in Arlington is counting on participating in the BCS.

Until I read this article a couple of days ago, it never dawned on me that conferences get different amount of $$ for bowl tie ins. With this new deal at the Chick-Fil-A Bowl (ha ha, what a joke, should have kept the name Peach, but money talks), the ACC gets 3.25 mil, the SEC "just" 2.4 mil

btw, good showing by LSU. Their folks were all over downtown yesterday and then they proceeded the kick the living crap outta Miami.

the peach bowl makes me SICK
you aint another ATL basher, are you?
:lol::lol:

oh well, on to the rest of the wknd with the Sugar Bowl (well, after the Falcons)

eat your hearts out ATL haters.
:lol:

Mighty Hornet,

Until I read this article a couple of days ago, it never dawned on me that conferences get different amount of $$ for bowl tie ins. With this new deal at the Chick-Fil-A Bowl (ha ha, what a joke, should have kept the name Peach, but money talks), the ACC gets 3.25 mil, the SEC "just" 2.4 mil

This is the first of its kind.

mighty hornet said:
you aint another ATL basher, are you? :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: not quite,, it's a love-hate relationship. i trumpet Atlanta as THE MODEL when it comes to wildly successfull economic development, navigating through the turbulent 1960s, making all the right calls to get to where they are,,, but at the same time, Atlanta is like the Notre Dame/Dallas Cowboys/Duke/NY Yankees of economic development, prosperity and population growth in the deep south,,, it's like everything they TOUCH turns to gold,, so every now and then i'm like, can anything GO WRONG for Atlanta????? :confused: good grief! Delta's troubles and Ford announcing the closure of assembly plants in the ATL are a start.

But the real reason the Peach Bowl "makes me sick" (i say that in just) is because this bowl was a worthless struggling bowl even back when BIRMINGHAM had a bowl game. B'ham has long since crashed and burned in the Bowl Game business (I mean, Mobile has 2 bowl games,, Troy/Montgomery could have a bowl game if they resurrect the Blue-Grey Classic) and naysayers in Birmingham/Alabama have seen to it that Birmingham stays out of the mix,, but the thing is that I say to them is look at these once "worthless" bowls and what they are now!!

mighty hornet said:

Well that's partially correct. The two conferences get the same payout now, it will be different only if the SEC continues to send its 4th or 5th place team with the ACC sending its 2nd place team. The article stated that the bowl is currently in "negotiations" with the SEC. But as somebody else stated, I think the Peach (I refuse to call it the Chick-Fil-A) Bowl is trying to make a run at becoming the 5th BCS game.

Back