Nccu Football Announces Coaching Staff

Bro. Askia

NCCU FOOTBALL ANNOUNCES COACHING STAFF
http://www.nccu.edu/campus/athletics/fbhome.html

DURHAM, NC -- North Carolina Central University and new head football coach Rod Broadway have announced six members of its football coaching staff, which includes two former Eagle student-athletes and two former NCCU coaches.

Kienus "Perez" Boulware has been retained from the recent staff of Rudy Abrams, who announced his retirement after four seasons at NCCU. Boulware, who coached linebackers for four seasons at NCCU (1999-2002) and two seasons at Livingstone College (1997-98) , will serve as Defensive Line Coach under Broadway. A native of Thomasville, NC, Boulware played linebacker at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1993-94) and earned a bachelor's degree in organizational communication in May of 1997.

Damon Frenchers spent seven seasons on the NCCU sideline as a defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator under former Eagle head coach Larry Little. After coaching stops at Delaware State University (Defensive Coordinator, 1999-2001) and Norfolk State University (Linebacker Coach, 2002), Frenchers returns to NCCU to serve as Linebacker Coach and Defensive Coordinator. He played two seasons (1985-86) as a defensive tackle at the University of Missouri, where he also assisted the defensive line coach for two additional seasons (1987-88) . Before his first stint at NCCU, Frenchers worked as the defensive end/strength and conditioning coach at South Carolina State University (1989-91).

Robert Massey, who became NCCU's third all-time career interceptions leader during four standout seasons (1985-88) as an Eagle defensive back and spent 10 seasons in the National Football League, will return to his alma mater as Wide Receiver Coach. Massey served as team captain during his final two seasons at NCCU, earning All-CIAA recognition in 1987 and 1988 and receiving All-America honors as a senior. He was then drafted in the second round of the 1989 NFL Draft and named to the 1989 All-Rookie Team with the New Orleans Saints. Massey was later selected to the 1992 Pro Bowl as a member of the Phoenix Cardinals. After retiring from the NFL in 1998 as a member of the New York Giants, Massey remained with the team as an assistant defensive back coach. Massey took over the Hillside High School football program in 2001, and in his second season as head coach he guided the Hornets to their first state playoff appearance in nine years.

Trei Oliver, who earned All-CIAA and All-South Region honors as a defensive back and punter during his four-year career (1994-97) at NCCU, rejoins the Eagles as Defensive Back Coach and Special Teams Coordinator. Oliver spent the past four seasons (1999-2002) as the defensive secondary coach and assistant special teams coach at Delaware State University. A 1998 graduate of NCCU and native of Tabb, VA, Oliver twice led the CIAA in punting, including a 41.7 yard average in 1997, which ranks fifth on the Eagles' all-time single season list. As an NCCU senior, he landed two positions on the All-South Region Team, earning First Team honors as a defensive back and a Second Team selection as a punter.

Linwood Ferguson, who has 28 years of football coaching experience to his credit, joins the NCCU staff as Quarterback Coach and Offensive Coordinator after spending last season as the offensive coordinator at North Carolina A&T State University. In 2001 as the head football coach at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas, Ferguson's squad won a Lone Star Conference Divisional Championship and topped the league in scoring offense (42.5 points per game), passing offense (318.2 passing yards per game), and total offense (522.9 total yards per game). Ferguson has also had coaching stints at Murray State University (defensive coordinator), Southern Illinois University at Carbondale (special teams coordinator), East Carolina University (secondary coach), Elon College (defensive coordinator) and Chowan College (Defensive Coordinator). He earned both his bachelor's and master's degrees from East Carolina University in 1973 and 1975, respectively.

Andrew O'Daniel comes to NCCU as the Offensive Line Coach after serving as a graduate assistant coach at the University of Texas, where he earned his master's degree in December 2002. O'Daniel worked with the offensive line and tight ends for the past two seasons at Texas as a graduate assistant under head coach Mack Brown. He also spent three seasons (1998-2000) assisting the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill football program. O'Daniel received his bachelor's degree from Florida State University in 1998.

- end -

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 12, 2003
NCCU FOOTBALL INKS EIGHT RECRUITS

DURHAM, NC -- North Carolina Central University has announced eight new additions to its 2003 football squad. The following student-athletes have signed to play for the Eagles in the upcoming season:

Name, Position, Height, Weight, High School, Hometown

Jerry Brown, DE, 6-4, 238, Carver, Winston-Salem, NC
Tiquan Collins, LB, 6-0, 240, New Bern, New Bern, NC
Charles Futrell, QB, 6-5, 195, E.E. Smith, Fayetteville, NC
Russell Hill, DE, 6-3, 215, Pamlico County, Bayboro, NC
Jason Jowers, DB, 5-9, 170, Carver, Winston-Salem, NC
Cody Matthews, C, 6-1, 325, Carver, Belews Creek, NC
Hakeem Mohammed, WR/DB, 5-10, 170, Carver, Winston-Salem, NC
Jordy Richmond, OL/DL, 6-5, 265, Cummings, Burlington, NC

"This is a good group of athletes with size, speed and talent," said new NCCU head football coach Rod Broadway. "For our first recruiting class, we feel this group will provide us with a real good foundation for our football program."

- end -

Originally posted by Bro. Askia
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 12, 2003
NCCU FOOTBALL INKS EIGHT RECRUITS

DURHAM, NC -- North Carolina Central University has announced eight new additions to its 2003 football squad. The following student-athletes have signed to play for the Eagles in the upcoming season:

Name, Position, Height, Weight, High School, Hometown

Jerry Brown, DE, 6-4, 238, Carver, Winston-Salem, NC
Tiquan Collins, LB, 6-0, 240, New Bern, New Bern, NC
Charles Futrell, QB, 6-5, 195, E.E. Smith, Fayetteville, NC
Russell Hill, DE, 6-3, 215, Pamlico County, Bayboro, NC
Jason Jowers, DB, 5-9, 170, Carver, Winston-Salem, NC
Cody Matthews, C, 6-1, 325, Carver, Belews Creek, NC
Hakeem Mohammed, WR/DB, 5-10, 170, Carver, Winston-Salem, NC
Jordy Richmond, OL/DL, 6-5, 265, Cummings, Burlington, NC

"This is a good group of athletes with size, speed and talent," said new NCCU head football coach Rod Broadway. "For our first recruiting class, we feel this group will provide us with a real good foundation for our football program."

- end -

Is that the QB you out recruited AT&T for?
I got news for you, if AT&Ts coach had been coaching for AT&T instead of Hampton, they mighta got that dude. Good luck on the season. Dont take all of ATTs pride when you play them. Leave a little for us.

A&T it is a shame that you must come west of the Mississippi River this year. Your football team may as well jump when they fly over the Grand Canyon (assuming you all are not taking a bus...keke). It will be much less painful than the bombs your SUperior will drop on you in Vegas. You have been duly warned!

We aint sced

Truth be told we aint worried about any of ya'll swac schools. In the past 10 years we're 5-0 against this piddly conference. That includes 2 wins courtesy of JSU and 1 win courtesy of SU. It'll be fun beating two swac schools in one season instead of spreading it out over multiple seasons. That'll be a nice change of pace.

Re: We aint sced

Originally posted by TOPPDOGG
Truth be told we aint worried about any of ya'll swac schools. In the past 10 years we're 5-0 against this piddly conference. That includes 2 wins courtesy of JSU and 1 win courtesy of SU. It'll be fun beating two swac schools in one season instead of spreading it out over multiple seasons. That'll be a nice change of pace.

I see what you mean :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Heritage Bowl
All-Time
Game Results
Date Teams / Result
TBD
December 18, 1999 Hampton 24
Southern 3

December 26, 1998 Southern 28
Bethune Cookman 2

December 27, 1997 Southern 34
So Carolina St 28

December 21, 1996 Howard 27
Southern 24

December 29, 1995 Southern 30
Florida A&M 25

December 30, 1994 So Carolina St 31
Grambling 27

January 1, 1994 Southern 11
So Carolina St 0

January 2, 1993 Grambling 45
Florida A&M 15

December 31, 1991 Alabama St 36
No Carolina A&T 13

AllSports College Football

Bluedog, I'm trying to be understanding of the fact that you matriculated in the state of Louisiana. We (A&T) are 5-0 against the sWACK. Get it. Just for further clarification and edification here's what I mean:

1994 A&T 22, SU 21
1996 A&T 17, GSU 12
1997 A&T 37, GSU 35
2001 A&T 42, JSU 35
2002 A&T 42, JSU 36

Again we aint sced!

Bluedog, I'm trying to be understanding of the fact that you matriculated in the state of Louisiana. We (A&T) are 5-0 against the sWACK. Get it. Just for further clarification and edification here's what I mean:

1994 A&T 22, SU 21
1996 A&T 17, GSU 12
1997 A&T 37, GSU 35
2001 A&T 42, JSU 35
2002 A&T 42, JSU 36

Again we aint sced!

Well what i was trying to do is let you see the result of the heritage bowl, when you guys sent your best before you cop-out and ran to play the white folks.
But its obvious that you have no knowlege of the history between the Swac/MEAC or more likely you do and thats why you flapping about five wins.
The reality is the SWAC has beaten the MEAC at about a 5 to 1 ratio since they have been playing

1994 A&T 22, SU 21
1996 A&T 17, GSU 12
1997 A&T 37, GSU 35
2001 A&T 42, JSU 35
2002 A&T 42, JSU 36

Again we aint sced!
:mrt: This fool anyway!!

Originally posted by bluedog

Well what i was trying to do is let you see the result of the heritage bowl, when you guys sent your best before you cop-out and ran to play the white folks.
But its obvious that you have no knowlege of the history between the Swac/MEAC or more likely you do and thats why you flapping about five wins.
The reality is the SWAC has beaten the MEAC at about a 5 to 1 ratio since they have been playing

Bluedog, This is just way too easy.

"Cop-out and ran?" Isn't that precisely what this wack azz conference did? You took an 0-19 record in the I-AA playoffs and ran. If the SWACK wasn't so damn shook over the idea of playing white folks there wouldn't have ever been a heritage bowl. It seems that you obviously have no knowledge of the history of this conference.

The fact remains that A&T hasn't lost to a swack school in well over a decade.

What kind of Forest Gump propaganda are you trying to pull?

Let me drop some science on you young buck:

Your conference all time football record v.s. "DADDY" aka SWAC.....SWAC 102 meac 66
Post excuse -------->HERE

Heritage Bowl son...SWAC 6 Meac 3
Post excuse -------->HERE

All 1-AA football awards (Eddie Rob, Walter Payton Buck Buchannon) are named after SWAC legends.
Post MEAC 1-AA awards that someone...anyone is trying to acquire
________HERE

If your goal is to win a 1-AA championship and you have only been able to participate in 1 out of 24 years apparently you are residing in a glass house and.... should not think about throwing bricks.
Post excuse for staying home for 23 years---------->HERE

SWAC teams have played a minimum 1100 games in the last 10 years & A&T won 5 of those games.
Post your IQ -------->HERE

9 out of 10 SWAC teams record in the 1-AA playoff is 0-6 in 24 years as the best SWAC team has not always gone to the 1-AA playoffs.
Post more remedial rhetoric------->HERE

No one is asking you all to be "sked." Your arse will be lambasted once in Vegas and again in Jackson. If you believe that A&T is something special ask meWhack Daddy FAMU; they are behind 2 out of 3 series with the Big 3 and the one that they lead is by single digits. Dont get it twisted........You are ONLY nc a&t. This is the SWAC "no spin zone." Your myopia is only endorsed @ Mewhack fans. A&T is not a good pimple on SWAC butt.

JRock, you dont understand. They aint sced of us. If things get too rowdy, rowdy for them, they can always call in the reinforcements.
terrrbig030203.jpg

:scared:

TD, did this man attend the game last year? Cause I can see now how we managed to give that one away.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
One more question, TD. I dont mean to be a pest, but if this man can fund an international terrorist group, why cant he give funds to help buy you a new stadium?

Just askin.......

Beans,

We already own a stadium. Which if you're keeping count A&T owns 1 stadium Jsu owns none.

Maybe, jus' maybe if we kiss enough ass and pluck enough cotton the whitefolks will let us rent a stadium? One can dream.

Beans,

We already own a stadium. Which if you're keeping count A&T owns 1 stadium Jsu owns none.

Maybe, jus' maybe if we kiss enough ass and pluck enough cotton the whitefolks will let us rent a stadium? One can dream.

Al Sharpton,

New material please.:sleeping:

Is that the QB you out recruited AT&T for?

I got news for you, if AT&Ts coach had been coaching for AT&T instead of Hampton, they mighta got that dude. Good luck on the season. Dont take all of ATTs pride when you play them. Leave a little for us.

Aggies' new coach expects some surprises

2-5-03

By JEFF CARLTON, Staff Writer
News & Record

GREENSBORO -- Football recruiting season has been compressed for George Small since he arrived as N.C. A&T's head coach just three weeks before National Signing Day.

That day is here, and while it's easily the most important one on the recruiting calendar, Small isn't in a panic about how little time he's had to prepare for it.

One firm commitment as of Tuesday morning? No worries.

"You're going to be surprised," Small said. "I think it's going to be a successful day for us."

That comment preceded the news of Fayetteville E.E. Smith quarterback Charles Futrell committing to N.C. Central. But optimism remains high on a handful of prospects despite A&T's late entry into recruiting. One solid commitment is Hoke County defensive tackle LeShawn McLean, who attends the same high school Small did in the early 1970s.

Small and his small coaching staff -- for now, he has only three assistants -- spent Tuesday morning evaluating videotapes of recruits.

"We've got four boxes of tapes we haven't even touched yet," Small said just after 10 a.m.

He understands that many of those highlight tapes were made and mailed months ago, when Bill Hayes was still A&T's head coach. Not everyone is willing to wait on the Aggies' new staff before accepting a scholarship offer from another school.

Hunter Huss offensive lineman Sharrod Patterson is one such example. Patterson committed to A&T in the fall. But he didn't hear from Small's staff and is now considering Western Carolina, N.C. Central, Winston-Salem State and Lenoir-Rhyne, according to his coach, Steve Gardner.

"Personally, I'd have my mind made up by now," A&T receiver Jamal Jones said shortly after Small was named coach Jan. 14. But "if I liked coach Small when I met him (as a recruit) and liked what he's talking about, then I'd probably decide to come here."

Jones came to A&T three years ago from North Carolina. He was one of a handful of transfers from Division I-A programs on the Aggies' roster last season. Hayes has also recruited junior colleges for players, such as quarterback Jason Douglas, who could come in and contribute right away.

Small has recruited junior-college players who have gone on to the NFL, but he prefers to bring in freshmen straight out of high school. His former boss, Hampton head coach Joe Taylor, shares that view, which is why he believes signing day is critical.

"It has been over the years," Taylor said. "No matter how many I-A's and (junior college players) you sign, you have a solid program when high school kids are coming in and learning in your program."

Interestingly enough, Small was still recruiting for Taylor's Pirates in the days after he took the A&T job. He tied up loose ends with players he had been recruiting before shifting his focus to the Aggies. Ethically, he said it was the right thing to do.

"I'm recruiting these kids for Hampton," Small said, "and halfway through the process, you don't want to drop the ball on them."

Once he did turn his attention to A&T, the former Aggies lineman quickly realized a team that went 4-8 last year with a young roster had several recruiting needs.

High priorities are adding depth on the offensive and defensive lines. The Aggies are also thin in the secondary and at tight end, a position that wasn't featured prominently when A&T went to the spread last year. And Small, who expects to name his position coaches soon, wants to sign a quarterback.

Needless to say, the Aggies will not have filled all their recruiting needs by the end of business today. Small's old school, Hampton, may have a better looking class on Thursday. But, by the time summer practice starts, A&T's new coach believes his will be competitive with the Pirates'.

"Actually, we may do a little better than them in terms of recruiting," Small said. "I'm a competitor. I compete. It's a part of my nature and it's the way I was brought up. We're not going to be mediocre in this process."

Contact Jeff Carlton at 373-7065 or jcarlton@news-record.com

Back