NCAA Tournament Thread 2023

Same guy who Coach Prime is linked to... a lot of people wanted to give him a pass the last time he made a similar racist statement about an athlete of color....all money ain't good money.

Near the tail end of her first comment on it in a longer version of the interview, Clark said, "Reese shouldn't be criticized for what she did." She then, in the clip above, reiterated it when Schaap asked again. I thought she handled the whole thing as best as anyone in that position could have.

I just hope this whole thing can be laid to rest now. The takes have just been crazy.
Agreed Kendrick

Same guy who Coach Prime is linked to... a lot of people wanted to give him a pass the last time he made a similar racist statement about an athlete of color....all money ain't good money.

Yeah Prime works for Barstool (his buddies Gillie and Waldo or whatever his name is are distributed by them as well

Here is Portnoy whitesplainin after being roasted for going after a 20 year old black woman

View: https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1643052661007167491

Those two acts were not the same thing. Clark did it to her own bench. She didn’t follow an opponent around the court taunting her like Reese did.
It is the same thing to me, she didn't chase her around to do the gesture, I watched the game

To me this is no different than when sTu said PV was on the clock and after we won we wore the clock.

Even the eviction notice that PV did after one game came back to bite us, it's just sports.

Some people are butt hurt because someone that don't look like them did it. Trust me if Iowa had won she would have done it again and the world would have been fine with it.

Not that I'm a proponent of either person because this isn't something I would do because I prefer to act like I have won before so I'm not a big trash talker or gesture person for myself.

On another note related to the tourney...

For all the talk about "poor officiating in the SWAC", did anyone realize that there were THREE SWAC basketball officials in the Sweet 16 (Byron Jarrett, Marques Pettigrew, and Keith Kimble)? Keith Kimble was also one of the officials in the championship game, and this is his 2nd championship game and 4th Final Four in 6 years.

I love her!!!

Angel Reese says her team won’t go to the White House but would celebrate with the Obamas💕💕💕

CNN —
LSU star Angel Reese says that neither she, nor her team, would be visiting the White House after the Tigers defeated the Iowa Hawkeyes 102-85 to win their first basketball national championship.

Traditionally, the national champions would be invited to the White House. But after comments from first lady Jill Biden suggesting that Iowa be invited as well before appearing to walk that back, Reese told “I AM ATHLETE” podcast hosts Brandon Marshall and Ashley Nicole Moss: “I don’t accept the apology because you said what you said … You can’t go back on certain things that you say … They can have that spotlight. We’ll go to the Obamas.’ We’ll go see Michelle. We’ll see Barack.”

Reese, who was named the women’s NCAA tournament’s Most Outstanding Player as a result of her standout performances, also said separately: “I just know if the roles were reversed, they wouldn’t be the same. If we were to lose, we would not be getting invited to the White House.”

Speaking on Monday, Biden congratulated both teams on their performance in Sunday’s national championship game, as well as specifically highlighting Iowa’s sportsmanship.

“Last night, I attended the NCAA women’s basketball championship,” said Biden, while speaking at an event at the Colorado State Capitol in Denver.

“So I know we’ll have the champions come to the White House, we always do. So, we hope LSU will come but, you know, I’m going to tell Joe [Biden] I think Iowa should come, too, because they played such a good game.”

Reese responded to Biden’s comments calling them “A JOKE” on Monday, and in a comment on an Instagram post from “The Shade Room” which included a comment from Reese, the recently crowned NCAA champion said: “WE NOT COMING. period.”

It is the same thing to me, she didn't chase her around to do the gesture, I watched the game
If Reese didn't follow Clark around, then what's this? She's literally trailing Clark around halfcourt during a live-ball situation to repeatedly perform the gesture. lol.

View: https://twitter.com/hoop_tilidie/status/1642647030681186304

I think Reese is a great player in her own right, but to act as if she conducted herself the same as Clark is a stretch. lol

I love her!!!

Angel Reese says her team won’t go to the White House but would celebrate with the Obamas💕💕💕

CNN —
LSU star Angel Reese says that neither she, nor her team, would be visiting the White House after the Tigers defeated the Iowa Hawkeyes 102-85 to win their first basketball national championship.

Traditionally, the national champions would be invited to the White House. But after comments from first lady Jill Biden suggesting that Iowa be invited as well before appearing to walk that back, Reese told “I AM ATHLETE” podcast hosts Brandon Marshall and Ashley Nicole Moss: “I don’t accept the apology because you said what you said … You can’t go back on certain things that you say … They can have that spotlight. We’ll go to the Obamas.’ We’ll go see Michelle. We’ll see Barack.”

Reese, who was named the women’s NCAA tournament’s Most Outstanding Player as a result of her standout performances, also said separately: “I just know if the roles were reversed, they wouldn’t be the same. If we were to lose, we would not be getting invited to the White House.”

Speaking on Monday, Biden congratulated both teams on their performance in Sunday’s national championship game, as well as specifically highlighting Iowa’s sportsmanship.

“Last night, I attended the NCAA women’s basketball championship,” said Biden, while speaking at an event at the Colorado State Capitol in Denver.

“So I know we’ll have the champions come to the White House, we always do. So, we hope LSU will come but, you know, I’m going to tell Joe [Biden] I think Iowa should come, too, because they played such a good game.”

Reese responded to Biden’s comments calling them “A JOKE” on Monday, and in a comment on an Instagram post from “The Shade Room” which included a comment from Reese, the recently crowned NCAA champion said: “WE NOT COMING. period.”

Lsu is saying they will accept

If Reese didn't follow Clark around, then what's this? She's literally trailing Clark around halfcourt during a live-ball situation to repeatedly perform the gesture. lol.

View: https://twitter.com/hoop_tilidie/status/1642647030681186304

I think Reese is a great player in her own right, but to act as if she conducted herself the same as Clark is a stretch. lol
That is hair splitting. Looking for a reason to make the Black girl the villain.

Clark gets no pass. Not even in her so called defense of Reese. Clark had a chance to call out racism as the reason for some people jumping on Reese and she declined to do so when asked straight up by the interviewer. She evaded the question three times...speaking truth while not addressing the question.

Another thing is you do not know what Clark was saying throughout the game to provoke Reese's actions. I watched body language and facial expressions closely. Clark was talking the entire game. She would as the old folk use to say, "talk under her breath". That deadpan look people ascribe to sportsmanship and "class" is a front.

Last edited:
That is hair splitting. Looking for a reason to make the Black girl the villain.

Clark gets no pass. Not even in her so called defense of Reese. Clark had a chance to call out racism as the reason for some people jumping on Reese and she declined to do so when asked straight up by the interviewer. She evaded the question three times...speaking truth while not addressing the question.

Another thing is you do not know what Clark was saying throughout the game to provoke Reese's actions. I watched body language and facial expressions closely. Clark was talking the entire game. She would as the old folk you to say, "talk under her breath". That deadpan look people ascribe to sportsmanship and "class" is a front.
You have to remember that Clark came into that game very cocky and on a high of beating the overall undefeated 36-0 number 1 seed accounting for 71% of her team's points, so yes I totally believe she was talking a lot of trash when the game was close, so no Clark gets no pass

Clark had a chance to call out racism as the reason for some people jumping on Reese and she declined to do so when asked straight up by the interviewer. She evaded the question three times...speaking truth while not addressing the question.

And this is why I don't give her props for doing the bare minimum. Yeah she did the right thing by backing Reese but that's all she did. Gotta protect that privilege because she got 1-2 years in Iowa and don't wanna be seen as a n lover at home (Iowa is less than 5% black)

You have to remember that Clark came into that game very cocky and on a high of beating the overall undefeated 36-0 number 1 seed accounting for 71% of her team's points, so yes I totally believe she was talking a lot of trash when the game was close, so no Clark gets no pass
Clark is a hell of a player and those type players usually talk plenty isht.

Exactly, that's why people need to quit acting like Clark is some innocent victim in this. Players like her understand sometimes the trash talking can go south, she's good with it, others need to get over themselves
Also, there is a psychology to trash talking...the objective is to get into the opposing player's head and throw them off their game.

Bigots threw most of the gasoline ⛽️ on this fire. Even the passive aggressive ones didn’t realize their behavior would be magnified for the entire country to see.
To that point, a whole lot more people (and the TV ratings were an indicator of that) who watched that game on Sunday (because of the hype around the tournament and Clark) likely hadn't watched a women's college basketball game all season. And there were a whole lot of opinions (a lot of them bad) on both sides.

Last edited:
Really, everybody needs to get over themselves on this one. This ain't Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding. lol
Well, maybe that is the nature of basketball.

All I know is, you would never see anything like this in the sport of track and field. Ain't that right @C-LeB28?
donovan mitchell lol GIF by Utah Jazz

Back