bernard

THEE Realist
View: https://twitter.com/HBCUSports1/status/1833243208840610137

SWAC

1725970821093.png

MEAC

1725970975127.png

Last edited:
I did not expect that Coppin State would have a higher budget than Valley, since they don't even have football. At least the North Carolina Public HBCUs will be getting an injection of 1 million dollars every year going forward because of taxes on sports betting in the state.

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
Guys, these number are presented to the NCAA as a mandate without any real expectation of them being true or accurate! Use your head when evaluating this list knowing football is the primary generator of revenue for our universities. Think people… Call your AD and inquire about the validity of the numbers!

Coppin State and UMES don't have football and the schools in the HBCU Athletic Conference don't have football (NAIA). Ironically enough for Elizabeth City State Basketball (combing both Men's and Women's numbers) generates more revenues than the football team because football is more expensive to operate given the size of the program. Also, the revnue from the CIAA Basketball tourmenet helps both the Men's and Women"s teams.

There are other websites out there to cross check things (Knight-Newhouse College Athletics Database and US Department of Education EADA as examples). Also, some schools post their Broad of Trustee meetings online and go into detail about the financial situation of the schools athletic budget. I know some schools post their Equity in Athieletics Data Anaysis informaiton online. Another option is going to a state government website or like another poster mention contacting the AD or doing a public information request.

Private schools are more tight with their data.

What the data does not tell you is about revenue generate by some sports that goes into the general fund and then athletics or specific sports gets a percentage of that. Coach Oliver, at NCCU, mention that on Coach Cole's Youtube show.

I also suggest going look for the IRS Form 990s for athletics foundations. That will give you a little more info on all of the money. Not a complete picture, but that form along with other publicly accessible sources could provide an in-depth picture.

Back