National Graduation Rates

Quietstorm

memba2change4thabetta
According to the statistics gathered by the Department of Education and released by tghe NCAA, 57 % of Division I-A football players who enrolled in 1997 graduated within 6 years.

Highest Percentages
Division I
Duke ....................94
Xavier ..................93
Georgetown ..........92
Notre Dame ..........89
Bucknell................88
Colgate................88
Holy Cross ...........88
Marquette............87
Stanford..............87
William & Mary .....87

Lowest Percentages
Division I
Chicago State ................10
Bethune Cookman ...........22
Cal-State Northinridge......27
Arkansas-Little Rock ........30
Texas El Paso .................31
Jackson State.............32
Northwestern State ...........33
Tennessee Martin ..............33
South Alabama .................35
Charleston Southern...........36
Oakland ...........................36
Portland State ..................36

http://houstonchronicle.com/sports

Quietstorm said:
According to the statistics gathered by the Department of Education and released by tghe NCAA, 57 % of Division I-A football players who enrolled in 1997 graduated within 6 years.

Highest Percentages
Division I

Lowest Percentages
Division I
Chicago State ................10

http://houstonchronicle.com/sports

Chicago State does not have a football team. I don't know where they got their info. :confused:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Can we see the rest of the list please.

Being 1 percent higher than JSU don't mean sucess.
............And in PV's case, what else do the players, :xeye: , have to do.

northern tiger said:
Chicago State does not have a football team. I don't know where they got their info. :confused:

You know how scrubbbbb's are.

Anything anti-JSU they can highlight under the guise of INFORMATION, they print. :sleep2:

I believe this refers to the grad rate of the entire athletic department. I read that PV's is 60% since someone asked earlier.

SWAC schools rankings

SU................65%
GSU..............63%
PVU..............60%
TSU..............59%
AAMU............57%
MVSU............51%
UAPB.............54%
ASU...............45%
Alcorn............41%
JSU...............32%

here are the 97-98 graduation rate for swac schools
.... All students ......... athletes
MSVU ...... 37% ..... 51%
prairie view ...... 37% ..... 60%
alcorn ...... 48% ..... 41%
Uapb ...... 31% .... 54%
Grambling...... 35% ... . 63%
SOUTHERN ...... 25% .... 65%
J-State...... 37% .... 32%
Aamu ...... 38% .... 57%
Alabama State...... 21% .... 45%

ALABAMA A&M UNIVERSITY

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FRESHMAN-COHORT GRADUATION RATES All Students Student-Athletes #
1997-98 Graduation Rate 38% 57%
Four-Class Average 37% 33%

ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1997-98 Graduation Rate 21% 45%
Four-Class Average 23% 42%

ALCORN STATE UNIVERSITY

1997-98 Graduation Rate 48% 41%
Four-Class Average 45% 46%

UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS, PINE BLUFF

1997-98 Graduation Rate 31% 54%
Four-Class Average 27% 45%

GRAMBLING STATE UNIVERSITY

1997-98 Graduation Rate 35% 63%
Four-Class Average 32% 51%

JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY

1997-98 Graduation Rate 37% 32%
Four-Class Average 34% 33%

MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY

1997-98 Graduation Rate 37% 51%
Four-Class Average 35% 52%

PRAIRIE VIEW A&M UNIVERSITY

1997-98 Graduation Rate 37% 60%
Four-Class Average 33% 57%

SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY, BATON ROUGE

1997-98 Graduation Rate 25% 65%
Four-Class Average 24% 46%

TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY

1997-98 Graduation Rate 15% 59%
Four-Class Average 13% 52%

Source:http://www.ncaa.org/grad_rates/2004/d1/

I think you guys are giving the rates for the entire atheletic department, not just football. Can you give the numbers for football?

SWAC schools rankings FOR FOOTBALL for incoming freshmen graduating in 6 years.

UAPB.............62%
TSU..............58%
Valley..............54%
SU................50%
AAMU............50%
ASU...............40%
PVU..............33%
GSU..............30%
JSU...............29%
Alcorn............27%

Football Only... Class of 97-98

AAMU 50%
Alabama St 40%
Alcorn St 27%
UAPB 62%
Grambling 30%
Jackson 29%
Valley 54%
PV 33%
Southern 50%
TxSo 58%

Our Graduation rates are a disgrace. We should be talked about. While Gordon was there, our rates were always the highest in the region. I must place responsibility on James Carson(RIP), Robert Hughes, and anyone else in charge of our Athletic Department in the 90's.

One thing to note about the rates is a school gets a 0 for any freshman that drops out, transfers, or doesn't graduate in 6 years.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Da_Sperm said:
One thing to note about the rates is a school gets a 0 for any freshman that drops out, transfers, or doesn't graduate in 6 years.

And that is the problem with HBCU's, they have these big freshman classes but because of certain circumstances they never finish. You lose so many people after/during their freshman year at our schools, it's a shame. Part of it is because of the open enrollment that we have to get these students in college unlike most of the PWC's. Thats why there is a big diifference between atheletes and general students. Atheletes tend to go further(number of years) than their student cohorts that come in with them.

JSU/99 said:
Our Graduation rates are a disgrace. We should be talked about. While Gordon was there, our rates were always the highest in the region. I must place responsibility on James Carson(RIP), Robert Hughes, and anyone else in charge of our Athletic Department in the 90's.

It alwasys puzzles me when graduation rates come up and the coach is blamed. No one never says blame the history professor or the biology professor or any professor for that matter. It is not anyone's responsibility but the student himself to make sure he graduates. If the student doesn't want to do his work then he is not going to do it no matter what the coach says. Bottom line, the coach's primary job is to coach football or whatever sport it is. I am not saying coaches should not be concerned about a players grades but it is up to the player to make sure he is doing what is needed to graduate.

CurtDog 1971 said:
It alwasys puzzles me when graduation rates come up and the coach is blamed. No one never says blame the history professor or the biology professor or any professor for that matter. It is not anyone's responsibility but the student himself to make sure he graduates. If the student doesn't want to do his work then he is not going to do it no matter what the coach says. Bottom line, the coach's primary job is to coach football or whatever sport it is. I am not saying coaches should not be concerned about a players grades but it is up to the player to make sure he is doing what is needed to graduate.
Fair or unfair, coaches are responsible for these things. Just like when a team has too many off the field incidents, or when players accepts too many favors from boosters, its the coach that gets blamed. When a problem happens on occasion, you can say its the individual player. But when it becomes systematic the coaches(along with his bosses) should be held responsible. We're talking about 70% of our guys not graduating. That's a problem with our system. And it's unacceptable. I'm glad our current admin is making correcting this a priority.

It is not a coaching thing. I looked at the University of Arkansas football graduation rate. They graduated 22% of their black football players and 86% of the white. That is not saying Houston Nutt is doing more to make sure his white players graduate as opposed to blacks, that is saying the whites are going to college to get an education and blacks are going to play football. UA basketball program graduated 0% of their recruits.

Nobody holds the band director responsible for graduation rates, they recruit just as hard. It is ultimately up to the student and their family. For those coaches who have programs in place to ensure students get done what needs to be done is great.

JSU/99 said:

For real 99. :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Gordon didn't play when it came to winning AND CLASSES. If a player didn't do what he was supposed to in class, Gorden would set his arse down. He didn't have to do it often because any player comming in under him knew the results of not doing your dang work in class. :nod2:

JSU/99 said:
Fair or unfair, coaches are responsible for these things. Just like when a team has too many off the field incidents, or when players accepts too many favors from boosters, its the coach that gets blamed. When a problem happens on occasion, you can say its the individual player. But when it becomes systematic the coaches(along with his bosses) should be held responsible. We're talking about 70% of our guys not graduating. That's a problem with our system. And it's unacceptable. I'm glad our current admin is making correcting this a priority.

Great quote I could'nt have said it any better :nod:

The Head Coaches number one job should be to look at for each of his players ultimate goal! Graduation
Not only should a Head Coach be concerned with a players growth on the athletic level. He should be concerned with his academic growth. He would be defeating the purpose of higher learning! This is not the NFL! Rich Slaves :idea:
An owner or Head Coach in the NFL would care less if his player knew how to read or write :rolly: All they would be concerned about is his performance on the grid iron!
Head Coaches at HBCU's should not have the same thoughts.

purple hill II said:
Great quote I could'nt have said it any better :nod:

The Head Coaches number one job should be to look at for each of his players ultimate goal! Graduation
Not only should a Head Coach be concerned with a players growth on the athletic level. He should be concerned with his academic growth. He would be defeating the purpose of higher learning! This is not the NFL! Rich Slaves :idea:
An owner or Head Coach in the NFL would care less if his player knew how to read or write :rolly: All they would be concerned about is his performance on the grid iron!
Head Coaches at HBCU's should not have the same thoughts.

I hear what yo are saying but thats not the case, In the real world the coaches main job is to win. Win you start talking about winning and grads rates its a very than line. B/c you can be a coach that cares about a kids furture and making sure he gets an education, but if you not winning on the field than you wont be giving the chance (Jobless). We are in this day an age where most kids on the team go to school just to play ball, and not to get an education, at some point in time we have to blame the kids and Parents, and not blame the coaches.

Back