Mississippi Fall enrollment numbers for 2022

buckwheat1911

Ole Miss was the only school with an enrollment increase.

2022 Mississippi Public University Enrollment​

InstitutionFall 2021 Fall 2022 Change% Change
Alcorn State University
3,074​
2,933​
-141​
-4.60%​
Delta State University
2,727​
2,556​
-171​
-6.30%​
Jackson State University
7,080​
6,906​
-174​
-2.50%​
Mississippi State University
23,086​
22,649​
-437​
-1.90%​
Mississippi University for Women
2,477​
2,339​
-138​
-5.60%​
Mississippi Valley State University
2,064​
1,879​
-185​
-9.00%​
University of Mississippi
21,856​
22,967​
1,111​
5.10%​
University of Mississippi
18,800​
19,869​
1,069​
5.70%​
University of Mississippi Medical Center
3,056​
3,098​
42​
1.40%​
University of Southern Mississippi
14,146​
13,526​
-620​
-4.40%​
System Total
-1.00%

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I would've thought JSU would've had an increase with all of the media attention/winning. Those Valley numbers are depressing.
I think there is more emphasis on athletics at JSU and not building new dormitories. Potential students probably enrolled elsewhere.

I would've thought JSU would've had an increase with all of the media attention/winning. Those Valley numbers are depressing.
Don't you think the water crisis had something to do with enrollment? The water crisis had been national news headlines throughout the summer. How likely would one be to send their to a school if one could not be sure that he/she could take a shower?

Last edited:
Interesting.

It's hard for me to believe Mississippi State has nearly 23,000 students. I checked and it appears that they have 3955 black students. More than every HBCU in the state except JSU. More than twice as many as Valley. The same as it has been for many years.

Imagine if Mississippi wasn't historically mired in racial politics. That they made decisions that were best for the state despite slavery and segregation. Had one PWI in Jackson. One HBCU in Jackson. The same juco system which fed into those two universities. Heck, keep the private colleges and just have two public universities - in Jackson.

Can you imagine the powerhouses those universities would be? Athletically. Multiple national championships. In multiple sports. At both schools.

Academically. Can you imagine what the City of Jackson would look like if the brain trust of the state was developed there? If the state cared about creating an environment that would be conducive to attracting the best minds in the state? If the industries that universities attract were concentrated in and around Jackson?

But, like the Nina Simone song ... Mississippi, Goddam. Mississippi has to Mississippi. Waste resources and opportunities for the sake of benefitting some while castigating others.
Miss. State has historically had the largest black student percentage wise, of any PWI school in the country. I almost went there (had not some other school offered me a full scholarship and once parents saw that, decision was made).

For only 75,000 students? Really?

Most of these schools only have 2000 - 4000 students.

Texas A&M - College Station alone has 70,000 students. Texas at Austin has 50,000.

All that state needs is two major universities as I proposed earlier. Let's say ... The Mississippi University Possums and Jackson University. Throw 40,000 on one and 20,000 on the other. Split the rest between the junior colleges and private schools.

Mississippi has less than 3 million people in the whole state. They don't really have the tax base to be operating and maintaining all of those buildings and staff at all of those different colleges. That's a waste of resources.

Many states only have one major university. Nebraska, for example. Somebody in Mississippi should have had that kind of foresight in the 1800s. People are stuck in their traditions now.
Except Mississippi State University (and Alcorn) are land grant schools. So that ends any talk you all have about 1 school. No merger would happen with MSU, SU. The only merger ever was consider was Alcorn and MSU which has been put too rest for now.

JACKSON – Jackson State University’s preliminary first-time freshmen enrollment increased to 1,155 students in Fall 2022 compared to 794 students in Fall 2021. This marks a near doubling of the cohort size since its Fall 2020 class of 623 students.

“It’s an exciting time to become a Jackson State University student, and we’re happy to see that the size of our freshmen class is on the rise,” said President Thomas K. Hudson. “I’d like to thank the Division of Enrollment Management for its efforts to recruit the best and brightest from across the country. If you spend time with these students, it’s obvious that they are determined to change the world, and we’re ready to help them do just that.”

I think there is more emphasis on athletics at JSU and not building new dormitories. Potential students probably enrolled elsewhere.

Yeah but that type of logical thinking on a forum like this will likely get you attacked or ridiculed by the ignorant groupthink majority. But honestly a lot of people forget the main purpose of colleges ... it's not athletics, greeks, bands, and partying ... it's education and finding a good job. And again lets take this forum for example, there is so much conversation about sports and bands which I get it (it's a HBCU sports forum) but very little convo on the academic pages (can we not be passionate about more than 1 thing). JSU is a great school but they have to constantly do the work to make sure they remain great and not rely on the laurels of the past just like with any institution. I feel like with Deion, there's been a big shift towards athletics and I hope they find that strong academic balance again. I hear more about JSU athletics than their academics ... in fact I never really much about JSU academics nowadays even when Good Morning America came ... that was the perfect opportunity to talk up their academic programs and how they are giving students opportunities to IMPROVE their lives and CHANGE the world but didn't happen. Not every student cares about athletics, greeks, and band .... especially many of the top brainy students that every university want to recruit, they care first about academic rigor and success so promote that!

I'm really disappointed to see JSU enrollment go down but I get it. I think the water crises ran a lot of new students away and not only that but Jackson has been on a consistent decline since the city has gotten blacker hitting record crime numbers (particularly in murders and shootings) and lacking quality economic development. Jackson is a hard sell for students who grew up in better run cities

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
its easy to get a kid from Mississippi to leave the state - not surprising and most don''t come back
Yes, we had a lot of Mississippi students at Texas Southern and none I knew went back. The got used to a higher of quality life living in Texas, especially living in a major city like Houston which offers so much!

Back