MID-SEASON SWAC AWARDS

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!
OK, I just want to get a feel of what y'all thinking out there...so Here's some questions regarding the 2004 SWAC season at its midpoint.. (No smack please) just some discussion :argue:

1. Who are your top three (3) choices for SWAC Offensive/Defensive player of the year at this point?

2. Which players are having breakout seasons? Which players have had disappointing seasons and did not live up to expectations?

3. Which event had the bigger impact on SWAC races: The SU/UAPB scheduling thing or Bruce Eugene's season-ending injury?

4. Top choices for coach of they year?

5. Choices for game of the year?

6. What are some things to look for going down the home stretch?

The player that did not live up to expectation to me would have to been Donald Carrie. Donald Carrie was supposed to be the best QB in the SWAC since Bruce Eugene's injury.
The player that did have an outstanding season would have to be Spiller the WR for Alcorn.
Top choices for the coach of the year
1. Frazier
2. Mo Forte
3. Coe

Choices for the game of the year
so far
Alabama St., Southern

Things to look for down the home stretch
Alcorn-Southern game (very good rivalry)
Magic City Classic (whoever wins get the upper hand)
Alcorn-Alabama A&M (whoever loses goes to third place)
Pine Bluff-Alabama St. (to early to tell)
Grambling-Alabama St. (very good mathup)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Without question, the offensive MVP is ASU's Keldrick Williams. He's leading the SWAC in rushing by a mile (even though he's sharing the load with Robt Randolph). He's averaging 123 yards a game. The 2nd place rusher is averaging 86. :eek:
Wms has rushed for over 100 yards in every game, and is averaging an eye opening 6.8 yards per carry.

Player's having a breakout year--ASU WR Lorenzo Hoffman. In his first season, this 6'6" kid has shown a whole lot of potential.

As for coach, it has to be Forte. (of course, in the SWAC, coach of the year "has" to be whoever wins the conference :smh: )

Game of the year- ASU/SU

1. Who are your top three (3) choices for SWAC Offensive/Defensive player of the year at this point?

Offensive: QB or RB at ASU

2. Which players are having breakout seasons? Which players have had disappointing seasons and did not live up to expectations?

3. Which event had the bigger impact on SWAC races: The SU/UAPB scheduling thing or Bruce Eugene's season-ending injury?

scheduling thing

4. Top choices for coach of they year? No doubt, Forte because he currently has his team at the top of the SWAC West and ranked and has won two more games thus far than the team did all season.

5. Choices for game of the year? Thus far, ASU/SU.

6. What are some things to look for going down the home stretch? SU/Alcorn; SU/GSU; ASU/AAMU; AAMU/Alcorn if AAMU beats ASU and Alcorn beats SU; UAPB/ASU if ASU, SU, and UAPB win out.

Hands Down Ricks is the offensive player of the year. He's a clutch QB and he stepped up in his first season starting and made a huge impact.

Player's having a breakout year--SU WR James Vernon is having amazing year and is showing his dominance.

For coach, it has to be Forte because he turned UAPB's program into a winner. U can argue this award for Pete also because he lost alot of starters but hasn't lost a step.

Game of the year- ASU/SU

My picks, in order:

Offensive POTY
Thomas Ricks, SU
Keldrick Williams, Bama State
Tavaris Jackson, Bama State

Defensive POTY
Joe Scott, JSU
???????

Coach of the Year
Mo Forte, UAPB
Pete Richardson, SU
Charlie Coe, Bama State

Game of the Year
SU-Bama State
???????

My picks for Offensive player of the year:
Southern's Thomas Ricks
Bama State's Keldrick Williams

I'm not trying to be biased, but I'll go with Ricks. Everybody expected Williams to be a force this season. No one thought that Ricks would put up numbers similar to Quincy Richard's 2003 numbers (BTW: Ricks already matched the number of times Richard was named La.'s college POTW and SWAC POTW) with all new receivers.

Defensive Player:
J-State's Joe Scott
Southern's Taurus Morgan
???

I watched the replay of the SU/J-state game...I like the way he covers the field. He and ol' Cletis Gordon few bright spots of the J-State 2004 campgain.

Dissapointment(s):
I saw Tierre say Donald Carrie is having a dissapointing season. But honestly, i always thought of Alcorn and Carrie as being a slow starting team, picking up steam later in the season.

Breakout player: James Vernon of SU has answered the call. The 6'6 receiver at Bama State...Randolph from Bama State, Johnson(???) from UAPB...the argument could be made for Cletis Gordon (on special teams).

Side note: Landers is hands down SWAC frosh of the year..Rogers Taylor a distant second.

Bigger impact on SWAC races: scheduling fiasco or Bruce Eugene getting hurt?
I say it's Bruce getting hurt. Nobody honestly thought UAPB would be where they are now at the start of the season. Grambling with Bruce would probably have only one loss on the year right now (Alcorn game). And that's even with the depleted WR corps GSU has now and losses on the defensive side of the ball.

Coach of the year:
Mo Forte gets the nod over Pete and Charlie Coe. I guess a change of scenery was good for former Norfolk State coach Mo Forte (NSU sucked when he was there, and continue to suck). UAPB is this year's Carolina Panthers.

Game of the year:
SU-Bama State "the miracle in montgomery"

Offense:
Ricks - SU. Based on what I've seen to this point. I will be able to more objectively comment on this position after the MCC (Bama State QB)

Coach: Mo Forte hands down! Shades of Anthony Jones at AAMU just two years ago. Coe was my choice in 2003, just as Jones was in 2002.

Defense:
Jamerson Baker - AAMU

Not so sure about the others.

1) POTY: T Ricks S.U.......... K. Williams ASU
2) Break Out season: S.U. recieving corp (can't give it to only one)
3) Event with biggest impact: Eugene's injury
4) COY: Will be chosen at the SCG (my personal choice=Mo Forte)
5) GOY: S.U. vs. Bama State
6) Home Stretch: Alcorn vs. S.U.; MCC; AAMU vs. Alcorn; Bama St vs. UAPB; Bayou Classic........Finally the SCG will be HUGE this year.

Robber said:
My picks, in order:

Offensive POTY
Thomas Ricks, SU
Keldrick Williams, Bama State
Tavaris Jackson, Bama State

Defensive POTY
Joe Scott, JSU
???????

Coach of the Year
Mo Forte, UAPB
Pete Richardson, SU