Media Experts Say HBCU Radio Stations Are Underused

EB

by Michelle J. Nealy
Sep 11, 2008, 11:25

Washington

Historically Black colleges and universities must continue to invest financial and personnel resources into campus radio stations, because the stations are powerful outlets that present a wide range of opportunities for the institutions, said a panel of media experts Wednesday during a forum on campus media at the 2008 National HBCU Week.

Addressing a group of HBCU presidents, faculty and staff, Loretta Rucker, executive director of the African-American Public Radio Consortium (AAPRC), said, ?The biggest kept secret among [Black colleges] is a network of African-American stations that could be providing all the things to our community mainstream stations are not.?

The AAPRC was created in 2000 to provide the financial means to better serve Black listeners. The consortium is currently composed of 20 member stations, most of which are located at HBCUs.

According to information provided at the forum, HBCU radio stations reach half of all Black public radio listeners across the nation. Texas Southern University?s radio station, 90.0 FM KTSU, reaches 300,000 people a week, Rucker said. ?How do we galvanize [our resources] to put our stories on national public radio??

There are roughly 60 Black college radio stations scattered across the nation. Wendy Williams, general manager of WCLK FM, a public radio station licensed to Clark Atlanta University, is in charge of one of most successful. With a 10-person staff and a six-figure budget, Williams is forging a strong bond between the institution, CAU, and the city of Atlanta.

Somebody please send this to the people who run WJSU...I think the station would be better served as a black talk radio station than the current Jazz format.

by Michelle J. Nealy
Sep 11, 2008, 11:25

Washington

Historically Black colleges and universities must continue to invest financial and personnel resources into campus radio stations, because the stations are powerful outlets that present a wide range of opportunities for the institutions, said a panel of media experts Wednesday during a forum on campus media at the 2008 National HBCU Week.

Addressing a group of HBCU presidents, faculty and staff, Loretta Rucker, executive director of the African-American Public Radio Consortium (AAPRC), said, ?The biggest kept secret among [Black colleges] is a network of African-American stations that could be providing all the things to our community mainstream stations are not.?

The AAPRC was created in 2000 to provide the financial means to better serve Black listeners. The consortium is currently composed of 20 member stations, most of which are located at HBCUs.

According to information provided at the forum, HBCU radio stations reach half of all Black public radio listeners across the nation. Texas Southern University?s radio station, 90.0 FM KTSU, reaches 300,000 people a week, Rucker said. ?How do we galvanize [our resources] to put our stories on national public radio??

There are roughly 60 Black college radio stations scattered across the nation. Wendy Williams, general manager of WCLK FM, a public radio station licensed to Clark Atlanta University, is in charge of one of most successful. With a 10-person staff and a six-figure budget, Williams is forging a strong bond between the institution, CAU, and the city of Atlanta.

CAU's station isnt like most HBCU stations... its a hip hop station ran by students... Most HBCU radio stations are Jazz and Blues.... Clark Atlanta also has a television station.

Their is a model out there for college radio Howard's radio station WHUR is number 1 in the DC metro and has 60 million in revenue. Donnie Simpson is there morning host he is also the second highest paid black person in radio at 1.5 million.

How many SWAC Schools have campus stations? Grambling has KRGM 91.5. A 50,000 Watt station. When I was on campus they played a lot of hip-hop and R&B. Also played the blues on Saturday morning. I used to enjoy tuning in to hear some down home blues. Now I think they play more gospel and jazz.

Their is a model out there for college radio Howard's radio station WHUR is number 1 in the DC metro and has 60 million in revenue. Donnie Simpson is there morning host he is also the second highest paid black person in radio at 1.5 million.

True, Howard's WHUR is a great model that all HBCU's should follow. While most HBCU radio stations are playing jazz, WHUR plays alot of old school and new school R & B and is DC's station of both the Steve Harvey Morning Show and the Michael Baisden Show.

Is that a recent change.... it wasnt back in 2000... It was a normal student led hip hop station... my roomate was the on air personality.

Dahill,
They may have a couple hours of hip hop sometime, but if I'm not mistakened, WCLK has always been a jazz station.

I think a college station should reflect the student body. Jazz and Blues just don't cut for college kids. I never listened to Jackson State campus radio. There should be sports talk, interviews and a diverse array of music. Not just Jazz, blues and NPR stuff.

How many SWAC Schools have campus stations? Grambling has KRGM 91.5. A 50,000 Watt station. When I was on campus they played a lot of hip-hop and R&B. Also play the blues on Saturday morning. I used to enjoy tuning in to hear some down home blues. Now I think they play more gospel and jazz.

WJAB is at AAMU... its a 100,000 watt radio station which reaches a 50 mile radius. Here is the schedule

schedule.jpg

Only time I really listen is after midnight when its syndicated with Keith Sweat's Mellow Madness and plays the ol school slow jams.

CAU's station isnt like most HBCU stations... its a hip hop station ran by students... Most HBCU radio stations are Jazz and Blues.... Clark Atlanta also has a television station.

southern has a television station and web radio station my lil cousin works with both

FAMU also has a diverse format. They play everything from gospel in the morning to hip hop in the afternoon and various genres at nite. I like their station because It's vibrant and in tune with the pulse of the student body as well as the community.

If Howard's is commercial.....they can do what they want as advertisers can get the things they need...

but as long as our stations stay non-commercial....hands are tied in programming

True, I listen to WHUR all the time. They even have an international radiostation online. Donnie Simpson is 95.5 not on WHUR! Steve Harvey is on WHUR.

True, I listen to WHUR all the time. They even have an international radiostation online. Donnie Simpson is 95.5 not on WHUR! Steve Harvey is on WHUR.

Shouldn't college radio stations have college students hosting shows instead of syndicated stuff. I mean, how are our future communicators going to get a start if old folks won't step aside?

Back