MEAC coaches' want a conference title game

Jafus (Thinker)

Posted by Ralph on the MEACFANS site.

MEAC coaches' recommendations include conference title game

Source: By Marty O'Brien, Daily Press

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-89153sy0mar19,0,286...coll=dp-sports-local

"We want the commissioner to investigate all possibilities," Hampton coach Joe Taylor said. "Young people want to go through the season with the idea of playing for the highest honor."

... Taylor said the coaches will ask Thomas to explore the following plan:

MEAC teams play a 10-game regular season, starting the season a week earlier than it does now.

The MEAC division winners play each other for the conference championship on the final weekend of the Division I-AA regular season.

The MEAC champ and any at-large selection from the conference compete in the four-week I-AA playoffs in late-November and December.

After the completion of the I-AA playoffs, the MEAC champ plays the SWAC champ in the Heritage Bowl in January. ...

Jafus,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that you aren't allowed to participate in both the playoffs and a bowl game.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JaguarNation99 said:
Jafus,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that you aren't allowed to participate in both the playoffs and a bowl game.

Those coaches know that too JN99 they're just fronting to patronize their gullible fan base who believe that they actually were against it. :emlaugh:

1.) This is dumb. If you want your champ to go to the playoffs, why have a championship game. Just have a 9 game mandate and the champion goes to the playoffs. You already have the automatic bid

2.) Are they asking for a 9-game mandate...meaning only ONE non-conference game or will the MEAC do a 4+3 allowing 3 non-conference games.

JaguarNation99,

Jafus,

As, Bluedog alludes too as well, you are correct. I believe the NCAA is very consistent in not allowing conferences and institutions the option of participating in two post-season events.

Our desire to continue with the development of BCF is shaping up. As you can see those things we have been discussing are going to take place. With the vision shared on this board you have seen the formation of a MEAC/SWAC Kickoff challenge and now the MEAC is talking about a championship game. It makes sense to me. In the future, you will see the SWAC playing in the Div 1AA playoffs and keep the SCG. SWAC can sell TV time and it will sell ESPNU made money this year. We have an excellent product. Although Jim and Kerr will no longer be part of the SWAC, I am sure they will continue to have an impact on BCF and other sports. Too many Egos get into the way of progress but those changes we discussed will take play over the next two years.

Actually JKC, I posted that on AGS, then MF under the subject MEAC coaches want playoffs and HB... not "conference title game."

Interesting.

Your subject is more in line with the article title but I thought the more significant info was them wanting two postseason events. All interesting for sure.

Back