Marching Band Uniforms for Summer and Rain

TBone2

Boom 84-88
I saw Grambling perform in ESPN 2 last week at halftime in those hot wool band uniforms; I think the announcers said it was about 90 degrees on the field, later I saw Kansas State's marching band perform in T-shirts, shorts and tennis shoes. Should marching bands have different uniforms for the summer and rain?

I most definatly think bands need alternate apperal. Because as most directors would look at it, you don't want your people falling out all over the place when it gets too hot, which might just spark lawsuits and things of that sort. Being in the rain really never hurt anyone that I can think of. Of course there can be ponchos issued and maybe rainpants to keep people dry especially when it is cold and rainy. Sometimes the issue comes up about a band or two not having the funds, but then again how much could a tee-shirt and a pair of short cost?

yes especially if a band is going to be performing before the sun fall. I remember in 00 in gsu we where sit with the sun beating us in our face and chest at 4:00 p.m. and it was like 100 degrees. all bands nee an alternate uniform

I hate the heat! I cannot imagine bopping all around in those hot-azz wool uniforms [although they look great]. I know I would be PASSING THE F#$K OUT! Just march on over me! :redhot:

All the high schools where I'm from have a short sleeve shirt that takes the place of the formal jacket. Sometimes they look just like the long ones. Down South, it's too hot to not consider it.

Originally posted by lilpoint19
I most definatly think bands need alternate apperal.

I agree with 110%. You know that the weather is getting hotter and hotter as we speak. Down here, it seems like that you can wear a short set in November. I feel like that band uniforms shouldn't be worn under certain weather conditions such as hot temperatures.

A uniform is a uniform. T-shirts are fine and all of the pants ought to be the same. The key is that they still need to be taken care of the same as the traditional uniform. That means they should only be worn as a uniform and they all should be laundered the same. Why? Because it is a uniform and you want everybody to look the same.

A lot of the high schools here in FL produce T-shirts for their themed shows every year. Those shirts are worn under the traditional uniform at every performance. If it was unbearably hot and the overlays and jackets were removed, the band could still go on (though you'd want to make that decision before leaving the bandroom/bus because they jackets and overlays would take a tremendous beating). All of our games are at night and I have never actually seen a band perform this way. Down in South Florida that might occur with some frequency.

Of course, if someone's shirt was discolored or someone simply forgot theirs, then it would not be pseudo-uniform again.

I think some of it is still related to conditioning. Some uniforms need to be made out of better material that can be lighter than whats used in most uniforms these days. Sometimes wearing all those layers will hurt you. I know when I was at PV and we replaced our uniforms we incorporated the overlay into the jacket itself for one less thing to wear and for size. But back in those days we never took off our jackets at a game and we never had all these folks passing out either after halftime. We did have rain ponchos for inclement weather.

Back