Malcolm X`s Grandson Arrested

jelli

Music Lover
Monday, Jan 28, 2002, 4:56 pm EST

Malcolm X`s Grandson Arrested
Associated Press

-----------------------------

MIDDLETOWN, N.Y. (AP) - Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of Malcolm X who set a fire that killed his grandmother in 1997, has been arrested on robbery and burglary charges, police said.

Shabazz, 17, was arrested early Friday while riding in a car that was reported stolen, police said.

He and Thomas Carter-Love, 17, were charged with two counts of second-degree robbery and one count of first-degree burglary.

Shabazz was also charged with a misdemeanor for allegedly giving police a fake name when he was arrested in Middletown, about 60 miles north of New York City.

He and Carter-Love were accused of assaulting another 17-year-old, threatening him with a gun, robbing him of $100, then going to the victim`s home, stealing cash and assaulting him again.

Both remained in custody pending a court appearance this coming week.

In 1997, when Shabazz was 12, he pleaded guilty to arson and other charges for setting the fire that killed his 61-year-old grandmother, Betty, wife of the late Muslim activist Malcolm X, in her Yonkers apartment.

Shabazz had been in juvenile detention facilities but was allowed to go home with an electronic monitoring device. In April, he was sent back to detention because of curfew violations and other problems.

He is the son of Qubilah Shabazz, who was 4 when she saw her father assassinated in Harlem.

Copyright 2002 Associated Press.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Maybe this kid faces so much pressure of being Malcolm X's grandson that he is acting out of spite. But keep in mind....Malcolm was a wild child and in and out of jail until he kicked his drug habit and embraced Islam.

NN

When he went into the detention center he was probably negatively influenced. I hope at some point he learns his lesson.:(

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE
Maybe this kid faces so much pressure of being Malcolm X's grandson that he is acting out of spite. But keep in mind....Malcolm was a wild child and in and out of jail until he kicked his drug habit and embraced Islam.
That's kind of a different spin than your usual lock 'em up, throw away the key mentality.
:D

His mother, Qubilah, has had problems of her own. I think she and her son (I do not know if she has other kids.) were in San Antonio before he was sent to live with his grandmother. We all know what happened next. :(

If one just includes Malcolm X's brother's, sisters, nieces, nephews, and first and second cousins alone, they will see that the Little, Malcolm's last name before he changed it, family is bigger than most families. (They do have reunions.) Yet, I do not know if some of the other family members are so willing to take him, Malcolm Shabazz, into their home.

Well you know....it is Brother Malcolm.

NN

Originally posted by mighty hornet

That's kind of a different spin than your usual lock 'em up, throw away the key mentality.
:D

Back