LSU (flag)

JagBR

I passed an antique shop in Denham Springs Tuesday that had that controversial purple and gold confederate flag outside. A half mile down the street is the High School of one LSU's star basketball players. Do they appreciate those sell-outs(ticket sell-outs) and the money they are making at Tiger stadium and the P-Mac?

JagBR said:
I passed an antique shop in Denham Springs Tuesday that had that controversial purple and gold confederate flag outside. A half mile down the street is the High School of one LSU's star basketball players. Do they appreciate those sell-outs at Tiger stadium and the P-Mac?

Well I don't know if I would call the kids sell outs or are you saying do they appreciate the sell outs at the venues because they have good teams full of black athletes? Being from Jackson, Ms. I sometimes say the same thing about kids who go to Ole Miss. I have come to the conclusion now that these kids and their folks feel that those schools are the best for them to showcase their abilities. So I have gotten over it. Do I still hate Ole Miss? Yes. But I wouldn't call the kids sell outs. The only thing I question is why would they play for a loser program like that who has some racist fans. At least LSU athletic program is winning and gets National exposure and least on the outside don't seem as racist(we know they are to a degree). So I guess there is some benefit. The flag issue is a moot point. Those simple arse fans could stop waving the flag and it wouldn't change a thing. They will still be racist. I went to Ohio State for grad school and even though they had no rebel flag waving fans, I would be foolish to think none of our fans are racist. But I don't think it is a bad place for African American players to go to school and play ball. As long as big money is involved in college sports.........the black athlete will be at these PWCs no matter what. Heck the so called poor white trash athlete aint really welcomed at those schools either by all their fans. But they shole will recruit one if he or she can play ball. And those same flag waving fans will cheer when said athlete leads them to victory.

My only hope is the black athlete truly consider the whole college experience when choosing a school to go to. Academics, Athletic program, social life etc.. should all be considered. But we know most of the time it isn't. Just my 2 cents.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JR said:
Well I don't know if I would call the kids sell outs or are you saying do they appreciate the sell outs at the venues because they have good teams full of black athletes? Being from Jackson, Ms. I sometimes say the same thing about kids who go to Ole Miss. I have come to the conclusion now that these kids and their folks feel that those schools are the best for them to showcase their abilities. So I have gotten over it. Do I still hate Ole Miss? Yes. But I wouldn't call the kids sell outs. The only thing I question is why would they play for a loser program like that who has some racist fans. At least LSU athletic program is winning and gets National exposure and least on the outside don't seem as racist(we know they are to a degree). So I guess there is some benefit. The flag issue is a moot point. Those simple arse fans could stop waving the flag and it wouldn't change a thing. They will still be racist. I went to Ohio State for grad school and even though they had no rebel flag waving fans, I would be foolish to think none of our fans are racist. But I don't think it is a bad place for African American players to go to school and play ball. As long as big money is involved in college sports.........the black athlete will be at these PWCs no matter what. Heck the so called poor white trash athlete aint really welcomed at those schools either by all their fans. But they shole will recruit one if he or she can play ball. And those same flag waving fans will cheer when said athlete leads them to victory.

My only hope is the black athlete truly consider the whole college experience when choosing a school to go to. Academics, Athletic program, social life etc.. should all be considered. But we know most of the time it isn't. Just my 2 cents.

I meant the way they SELL TICKETS at LSU. 90,000 for football games and 15,000 for basketball. They're making a lot of money because of the good athlete. They sold out of tickets for some of the girl's basketball games. I purchase them off the internet and had to try several times before I could get them.

JagBR said:
I meant the way they SELL TICKETS at LSU. 90,000 for football games and 15,000 for basketball. They're making a lot of money because of the good athlete. They sold out of tickets for some of the girl's basketball games. I purchase them off the internet and had to try several times before I could get them.

LSU football, that's a hard sale with no promotions or anything..

LSU basketball's a different story.

Honestly Jag-Br...

If my son had the athletic capability to make it to the next level but was not book smart...I'd send him to a school to make it to the pros. Me and his momma would just have to be that book smart person in his life...meaning we would have to aid him in making the right decisions with his money.

JR said:

That would be my hope as well.

I don't have the strong disdain for ut-austin/txa&m like I used to have. God has truly delivered me. :emlaugh: I still don't want them to win and hath joy when they lose but I don't have hate for them (students/admins) or their schools anymore. :)

My current philosophy: Do you. If that's the direction that you feel you need to go, gawd bless ya'. :) I'm too busy trying to keep this ol' decrepit raggedy ship over here that I call an HBCU afloat and don't have time to be dilly-dallying into what you people are doing over there on your yacht. Hopefully though, they'll recognize the COMPLETE risk(s) associated w/ being in those type of PW environments. You can't have the good w/out the bad. Those confed flags, threats, et al are a part of that <b>total</b> pkg that I call the "PW experience." Deal w/ it and don't expect me to involve myself because you had a <b>willing and free</b> choice to choose and you did the latter. :) You chose the bad w/ the good over there rather than this thing. Not that the "bad" doesn't exist on our HBCU campuses but I cannot for the life of me recall instances where black students were waving red/blue or purple/gold confed flags, chanting "run nig run" lol, a group of blacks decided they were gonna' have a "black minstrel" party lol, or a <b>group of 40+ black lacrosse students decided that they were gonna' demean/rape a student(s), </b> et al. For the life of me, I just cannot seem to recall such instances. :confused:

I trip on situations like this current VinceYoung thing. :) Everybody and their freakin' momma' slobbin' on this boys **** right now. If he HAD NOT have taken them to the nat'l champeenship, I wonder how they'd perceive his black QB'ing behind? I wonder.... Hey! Let's ask former ut-brotha' qb <b>James Brown.</b> Maybe he'll know. :rolleyes: They slobbed him for a "quick" second and then threw him away like a dirty dish towel. lol *understand the sarcasm/parallelism?* Brown has a degree (glad for him) and seems to be doing well matriculating around austin.

James Brown said:
Brown said he is considering resuming his arena football career next year. And in what little spare time he has, he serves as offensive coordinator for Hyde Park Baptist, a private school in Austin.

"We use a two-tight end offense," he said. "The quarterback can do a lot of running."

Panthro said:
That would be my hope as well.

I don't have the strong disdain for ut-austin/txa&m like I used to have. God has truly delivered me. :emlaugh: I still don't want them to win and hath joy when they lose but I don't have hate for them (students/admins) or their schools anymore. :)

My current philosophy: Do you. If that's the direction that you feel you need to go, gawd bless ya'. :) I'm too busy trying to keep this ol' decrepit raggedy ship over here that I call an HBCU afloat and don't have time to be dilly-dallying into what you people are doing over there on your yacht. Hopefully though, they'll recognize the COMPLETE risk(s) associated w/ being in those type of PW environments. You can't have the good w/out the bad. Those confed flags, threats, et al are a part of that <b>total</b> pkg that I call the "PW experience." Deal w/ it and don't expect me to involve myself because you had a <b>willing and free</b> choice to choose and you did the latter. :) You chose the bad w/ the good over there rather than this thing. Not that the "bad" doesn't exist on our HBCU campuses but I cannot for the life of me recall instances where black students were waving red/blue or purple/gold confed flags, chanting "run nig run" lol, a group of blacks decided they were gonna' have a "black minstrel" party lol, or a <b>group of 40+ black lacrosse students decided that they were gonna' demean/rape a student(s), </b> et al. For the life of me, I just cannot seem to recall such instances. :confused:

I trip on situations like this current VinceYoung thing. :) Everybody and their freakin' momma' slobbin' on this boys **** right now. If he HAD NOT have taken them to the nat'l champeenship, I wonder how they'd perceive his black QB'ing behind? I wonder.... Hey! Let's ask former ut-brotha' qb <b>James Brown.</b> Maybe he'll know. :rolleyes: They slobbed him for a "quick" second and then threw him away like a dirty dish towel. lol *understand the sarcasm/parallelism?* Brown has a degree (glad for him) and seems to be doing well matriculating around austin.
P~, they're all jocking Vince's nuts now, but just wait until he celebrates in the endzone too much. Let his ass run out on the star in Texas Stadium, and watch em turn on him.

They like you, as long as you're doing what they want you to do, on that field and off the field. Let him mess up one time...you'll never hear the end of it.

btw, to hell w/lSU and their flags. That's to be expected. Are you really surprised to see this flag in DENHAM SPRINGS, of all places? :rolleyes:

Warndalyn said:
P~, they're all jocking Vince's nuts now, but just wait until he celebrates in the endzone too much. Let his ass run out on the star in Texas Stadium, and watch em turn on him.

They like you, as long as you're doing what they want you to do, on that field and off the field. Let him mess up one time...you'll never hear the end of it.

btw, to hell w/lSU and their flags. That's to be expected. Are you really surprised to see this flag in DENHAM SPRINGS, of all places? :rolleyes:

LOL! Right.

I think Vince is playing the "game" right now. Just like he did during his first 2 years @ ut-austin. :emlaugh: He even had ol' mack listening to "fiddy" tryna' understand him and his culture. :emlaugh:

Well, in football, if you are good, they will find you. That is not the same in basketball. Those good athletes need to go to a school that will better prepare them for the next level, if that is their dream. You have to do what is best for you first.

Time & time again how many LSU athletes have SU alumni seen come across town to finish school after their eligibility is up.

A great kid!

http://www.livingstonparishnews.com

Sports

Tasmin and Tigers go up against UCLA

By Mike Dowty

LSU freshman Tasmin Mitchell of Denham Springs answers questions for the media during a press conference Tuesday at the LSU Athletic Administration Building. (News photo by Mike Dowty)
BATON ROUGE - It's become an annual ritual for Denham Springs basketball fans: Tasmin Mitchell on a championship run with his purple and gold team.

This time, though, the stakes are higher, the stage bigger than ever. Mitchell, an all-SEC freshman team forward for LSU, is headed to Indianapolis with the Tigers, who have clawed their way to a berth in the NCAA Final Four.

A development that might be intimidating, even overwhelming for an average freshman, playing in big games is old hat for the former Denham Springs star. Mitchell led his high school team to two district championships and two appearances in the prep equivalent of the Final Four. He's travelled to numerous elite tournaments with his high school Yellow Jackets, with his AAU summer team - which happened to include three of his LSU teammates - and as a member of several all-star teams, including the prestigious McDonald's All-American squad for high school seniors.

He's even played against some of the same athletes LSU will face this Saturday at the RCA Dome when the Tigers tip off against UCLA at 7:47 p.m.

?This is just like a big time tournament I played in this summer,? Mitchell said during a media interview session Tuesday. ?I played against most of the guys on the UCLA team - Jordan Farmar and Arron Afflalo. I played against some of those guys and probably others - I just didn't know their names.?

The thought of being intimidated by the upcoming challenge is alien to Mitchell.

?I'm never intimidated playing against nobody,? Mitchell said. ?Like when we played Duke - we didn't know who Duke was. They were just a name.?

LSU, the fourth seed in the 16-team Atlanta Region of the NCAA Tournament, upset top seed Duke and second seed Texas to qualify for the Final Four. Mitchell played key roles in both games, particularly in igniting a fire with the opening basket in overtime when the Tigers subdued the Longhorns 70-60.

?We just knew deep down in our heart we had it,? Mitchell said of the win over Texas. ?They didn't have any fight left in them.?

Mitchell feels equally confident about winning the next two games to return home with the NCAA crown.

?I know deep down inside we're going to win,? the 19-year-old said.

The 6-7 small forward could have gone anywhere to play college ball. He was heavily recruited by Kentucky Coach Tubby Smith to play for one of the nation's elite basketball schools. He chose to stay home, however, and hook up with his former AAU teammates Davis, Tyrus Thomas and Garrett Temple.

That group, along with senior guard Darrell Mitchell, won the SEC regular season championship.

?I expected great things from this team because we all gel together,? Mitchell said. ?It's not something new.?

Garrett's father, Collis Temple Jr., the first African-American player at LSU in the 1970s, brought the quartet together at the Baton Rouge Sports Academy. and watched them develop from grade school to the Final Four.

Mitchell, the youngest of the bunch, has also been noted as a leader on and off the floor and praised often as the kind of player who makes his teammates around him better.

?Tyrus started playing when he was 5-years-old,? Collis Temple Jr. told the media in an interview after LSU defeated Texas. ?I first saw Glen when he was 9. What was he like? He was a round guy then, too. And Tasmin, he could outplay them all when he was 8 or 9 or 10.

?We held them all together. We started sending them to the LSU basketball camp. I appreciate these young fellows so much. We just wanted to make sure they all came to LSU.?

Mitchell said it was a hard decision to turn down Tubby Smith, but he knew he wanted to continue playing with his friends and assistant LSU coach and Godfather Butch pierre. He wanted to stay close to his home where his high school fans and teammates and his mother, Collette Mitchell, could follow his career.

?I'm honored over the support they've given me since I left,? Mitchell said about Denham Springs. ?To me it's the best city to live in and I truly appreciate the support they've given me, including my high school, the principals I've had, family members and everybody in the neighborhood I grew up in in Denham Spring.

Warndalyn said:

They are an IGNORANT bunch!

Back