Looks Like Doug Is Staying

BISON-2K1

Williams had sought a five-year extension
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Ryan Hockensmith
Special to ESPN.com

Grambling State is close to retaining sought-after head football coach Doug Williams.

Doug Williams has gotten Grambling back to its winning ways.

For at least a few more years, anyway.

Williams, who said he's been contacted by Navy and SMU about head coaching positions, is likely to sign a new contract in the next few days.

Williams led Grambling to a 10-1 season, capped by a 38-31 win against Alabama State in the SWAC Championship game. In his four years since taking over for Eddie Robinson, Williams helped Grambling improve from 5-6 in 1998 to back-to-back 10-win seasons the past two years.

On Monday, Williams submitted his demands to Billy Owens, Grambling's chief financial officer. Owens agreed to Williams' wish list, which included reworking the one year left on his contract and a five-year extension at the school. Owens said preliminary discussions with Grambling president Dr. Neari F. Warner, who would have to approve terms of the deal, went well.

"At this point, all we have to do is put the finishing touches on the language," Owens said earlier this week. "As far as I'm concerned, it's a done deal."

A source at Grambling said Friday, however, that all parties had not formally signed the deal, but will sign as soon as everyone involved can meet again. The contract would then need to be approved by the Grambling Board of Trustees.

Financial terms of the deal were not available, although Williams said he was looking for a raise from his $90,000 salary and increased bonuses for himself and his staff.

"What Doug wants isn't unreasonable," athletic director Al Dennis said Monday. "We shouldn't have any problem getting the board's approval."

Ryan Hockensmith is a regular contributor to ESPN The Magazine

Good news for GSU and the SWAC. Kind of interesting that Navy came a calling. I knew he had worked there before. SMU is not a good situation, but if he had of went to Navy, he probably could have done okay. Beat Army and Airforce and you are legend there. Not as much pressure there and he wouldn't have worry about players going to class. But he should stay at GSU and that's where he belongs.

JR,

You are right, SMU would not have been a good fit because SMU ain't ready for a black coach yet. Doug also got a call from San Diego State.

Schools like SMU and San Diego State don't realize that coaches only see their programs as stepping stones to get to the next level. They are constantly trying to portray themselves as "big time" programs, but they are far from it.

I agree SOG, Sometimes they think that the black coaches will just run to their programs. SMU has had some decent coaches, but since that death penalty was placed on them(after Texas and Texas A&M ratted them out), they have not done much. Also their conference is more unstable than ours for sure. I am glad Doug overlooked them. Why leave GSU for SMU or SD State. Now if USC or say even Notre Dame called. I can see him listening, but it has to be the right situation. Just like Ty Willingham got at Stanford. Only the Naval Academy call should have been returned by Doug if I was him. At least he had worked there and the Academy doesn't have the same type of pressure to win. Doug knows the game and he isn't going to allow himself to pimped by the wrong PWC. He'll go to the NFL before that happens as an assistant in grooming for a HC position before ever leaving GSU.

Back