LITERACY/READ-2-LEAD CLASSIC ATTENDANCE SUFFERS

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
Posted on Tue, Sep. 21, 2004

SJSU weighs future of game

ATTENDANCE DOWN FOR READ-2-LEAD CLASSIC

By Mark Gomez and Jon Wilner

Mercury News

The first Read-2-Lead Classic football game, which pitted San Jose State against Grambling State in August 2003, drew a sellout crowd to Spartan Stadium. On Saturday, the second installment, against Morgan State, attracted only 11,360 fans -- nearly two-thirds fewer -- and was a money-losing event.

San Jose State officials blamed the sparse crowd on the opponent's poor name recognition and on a late start in marketing the game. In the next month, SJSU will decide if the Read-2-Lead game will return next season.

``We're in serious discussions about repeating it, but we have to start early,'' SJSU's interim president, Don Kassing, said Monday. ``The last two years, we started in February, and that's not in the same cycle as corporate budgets.''

Spartans Coach Fitz Hill, the driving force behind the event, said he is moving forward with preparations for next year's game and hopes to lock in an opponent within the next 30 days. He would not elaborate on specifics but said that several historical black colleges are interested in participating.

``We have to find the right fit,'' Hill said.

The Grambling game, dubbed the Literacy Classic, drew 31,681 fans, the largest crowd in Spartan Stadium history. But SJSU had no financial stake in the event; it used an outside firm to cover all costs and reap the financial rewards.

This year, SJSU assumed financial responsibility, changed the name to the Read-2-Lead Classic and hoped for a crowd approaching 20,000.

``I was disappointed in the attendance,'' Kassing said. ``I'm not sure what that's about. Grambling has a strong name. With Morgan State, I think some people weren't sure where it was.

``I don't think it necessarily has to be Grambling. But some of the historical black colleges have more name recognition than others.''

Because of marketing expenses and a $400,000 guarantee paid to Morgan State for its football team and band, SJSU needed about 28,000 fans to attend to break even. The extent of the losses will not be known until the books close. Kassing said the debt will be paid out of university coffers, not by the cash-strapped athletic department.

Despite a potential six-figure loss, Kassing said he is optimistic about the event's future. Bill Cosby, who participated in an on-campus discussion last week about black youth and academic success, has agreed to return next year as an honorary coach.

``We're looking at this as a multi-year event,'' Kassing said. ``We went into the whole idea because we thought there was a very good connection between literacy and our academic missions, and we wanted to use sports as a platform.''

Hill said he believes the endorsement from Cosby will help generate interest and corporate sponsorship.

``When you have a celebrity such as Dr. Cosby committed for '05 and now know your opponent, you have a chance to make this something very, very special,'' Hill said. ``Now we're trying to let people get their calendars ready for Labor Day weekend, and I'm thinking the third strike is going to be on the money.''

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc.../9719495.htm?1c

One thing that was also different between the two games is, last year it was the very first game of the year in a 12 game season and it was played prior to everyone elses games began. That would make a big difference in how fans come out to see the teams play.

Fiyah, the article pointed to the bottom line. The big difference is Grambling.

San Jose St. coach Fitz Hill from 2003

"Knowing the history behind Grambling, it's a special time. "They're a great football program. I have a lot of admiration for what they've accomplished."

Perhaps you didn't read this....

MACHIAVELLI said:
``I don't think it necessarily has to be Grambling. But some of the historical black colleges have more name recognition than others.''

But my question is how much money did they make off of the Grambling game? If they needed about 28k to break even this year, and only had 31K and some change last year, how much profit was that? I realize the school took over this year, so it would seem that they would spend less than the promoters. Was ya'll's guarantee less than Morgan's? Just ain't adding up to me.

Southern, Jackson State and FAMU woulda filled that joint up, too. Maybe a few others. But Morgan State???

Grambling would have had the same attendance this year as Morgan. You see how all of those promoters cancelled on Gram this year. GR heard the Bayou Classic committee was trying to back out on Grambling also.

Get Ready said:
Grambling would have had the same attendance this year as Morgan. You see how all of those promoters cancelled on Gram this year. GR heard the Bayou Classic committee was trying to back out on Grambling also.
LOL.

GR, need I remind you, selling out stadiums outside of Grambling is our claim to fame.
The Grambling game, dubbed the Literacy Classic, drew 31,681 fans, the largest crowd in Spartan Stadium history.
And this game was nationally televised on ESPN -- only Grambling.

They must didn't know they were doomed from the start, no matter if they brought back GSU. If it took 28,000 to break even and 31,000 was the largest croud ever, then 3,000 seats would have been their profit. If the seats went for $25/ticket, the profit would be around $75,000. The visiting team makes more money than the home, WTF?

I think their payout was too much. It is very hard for a school to be in the business of putting on classics. That is not something they do, it should have been left in the hands of promoters.

Da_Sperm said:
They must didn't know they were doomed from the start, no matter if they brought back GSU. If it took 28,000 to break even and 31,000 was the largest croud ever, then 3,000 seats would have been their profit. If the seats went for $25/ticket, the profit would be around $75,000. The visiting team makes more money than the home, WTF?

I think their payout was too much. It is very hard for a school to be in the business of putting on classics. That is not something they do, it should have been left in the hands of promoters.

Sperm, I don't know the specifics but I don't think the home team gets any money from the Literacy Classic. You would have to read the articles from last year to understand the situation.

When will promoters learn that BCF classics do not fare(SP) well West of the Rockies;especially in CALIFORNIA and most definitely not in Los Angeles. The only source of Black College exposure out there is BET. And that's self-explanatory about BET if you are regular poster on the SWACPAGE.

Robber said:
Southern, Jackson State and FAMU woulda filled that joint up, too. Maybe a few others. But Morgan State???

In California??? I don't think so. Hell, even Grambling and Southern will not fill the stadiums in that state; and especially Los Angeles.

Tigerpride said:
Sperm, I don't know the specifics but I don't think the home team gets any money from the Literacy Classic. You would have to read the articles from last year to understand the situation.

Oh, understandable.

pbla said:
In California??? I don't think so. Hell, even Grambling and Southern will not fill the stadiums in that state; and especially Los Angeles.
Grambling and Southern both have a huge following out here is California. The problem is that the only way we can see BCF is on BET or that other station MBC. This is very fertile ground for support, recruiting, and to get in touch with our relatives. The problem with the San Jose State game was that Morgan State did not have a big name, as far as being a dominate program, and San Jose poor performance on the field. The attendance was down mainly because of San Jose State, not Morgan State.

thedesr said:
Grambling and Southern both have a huge following out here is California. The problem is that the only way we can see BCF is on BET or that other station MBC. This is very fertile ground for support, recruiting, and to get in touch with our relatives. The problem with the San Jose State game was that Morgan State did not have a big name, as far as being a dominate program, and San Jose poor performance on the field. The attendance was down mainly because of San Jose State, not Morgan State.

So is MBC now on the West Coast?

pbla said:
So is MBC now on the West Coast?
Some areas with Comcast can get MBC. I added Comcast (Directv viewer) for this football season to find out that they lost the contract, so I canceled comcast.

I'm trying to figure out why is it important to us to go all the way to CALLI to help some low rung D1-A FILL THEIR HOME STADIUM so they can stay D1-A.

Bottom line, this is what this is all about when they started with GRAM .......... you can believe that Read to Read or whatever if you want to.

Gram came out last year and gave them the first sellout in decades. Now they want a repeat every year because they know the 1A schools out there are never gonna set foot on that campus if they don't have too.

jstate83 said:
I'm trying to figure out why is it important to us to go all the way to CALLI to help some low rung D1-A FILL THEIR HOME STADIUM so they can stay D1-A.

Bottom line, this is what this is all about when they started with GRAM .......... you can believe that Read to Read or whatever if you want to.

Gram came out last year and gave them the first dellout in decades. Now they want a repeat every year because they know the 1A schools out there are never gonna set foot on that campus if they don't have too.
I agree with you that the initial reason was to fill the stadium, but San Jose Coach is trying to do some revolutionary things out here. I do not know if he is going to be successful but we need to promote BCF, the need for more Black Head Coaches in D1, and the need for education. These are the things he is trying to promote.... It may or may not work because winning is what it comes down to at the end... and he has not been winning. If he tried this in the South he probably would be more successful but I can't hate him for trying. Personally I hope it continues so we can see more BCF in California

Back