Let's Talk CTE for a Moment

The Founder

My son over the last year decided not to ever play football again. He had told us before that he was upset about not being recruited and last evening he told us that his real reason was that he was/is frightened of CTE.

I understood my son's reasoning and supported it.

Has anyone else's child discussed this with their parents? If so ho did you respond?

My son over the last year decided not to ever play football again. He had told us before that he was upset about not being recruited and last evening he told us that his real reason was that he was/is frightened of CTE.

Has anyone else's child discussed this with their parents? If so ho did you respond?
I did, my son is at a charter school that doesn't have football. He played football all his life from flag at 5 years old to the 7th grade. He says he really missed playing and realizes he doesn't have the height for basketball even though he likes it too. He told me even if his school had football he would have still stuck with track and basketball because of the CTE thing and he is now going into his senior year, so these youngsters are paying attention. I wonder if football will survive their generation as more people keep developing CTE. I predict that 30-50 years from now, we won't have football anymore or at least how we know it now.

I'm glad I saw this topic because I've been planning to have this discussion with my son. Especially after converting from Tackle to Tight End.. More possible hits to the head in my opinion. I really plan to have a sit down..........show him the effects of CTE and if he gets 2 concussions or more......may be time to talk about walking away......finish college and move on. But he's super passionate and it's gonna be a hard sell.

I thought I read somewhere that widening the field like Canadian football could reduce CTE. The logic being the wider field opens the game up, reducing the number of hits. Another suggestion was doing away congratulatory helmet slapping by teammates.

Could there be more done in the realm of protective equipment? Well, more is being done. I think U. of Virginia is working on sensors that activate when a certain amount of force hits a helmet.

I went to Valley because I planned on walking on to play football. After being told to go run track instead, I trained with the track team and ended up pulling a muscle in my back and that was the end of my athletic career lol

In retrospect, I'm kind of glad because I like remembering stuff

I'm glad I saw this topic because I've been planning to have this discussion with my son. Especially after converting from Tackle to Tight End.. More possible hits to the head in my opinion. I really plan to have a sit down..........show him the effects of CTE and if he gets 2 concussions or more......may be time to talk about walking away......finish college and move on. But he's super passionate and it's gonna be a hard sell.
they've found that even with those subconcussive hits play after play guys develop cte so even offensive/defensive line isn't particularly safe.

I thought I read somewhere that widening the field like Canadian football could reduce CTE. The logic being the wider field opens the game up, reducing the number of hits. Another suggestion was doing away congratulatory helmet slapping by teammates.

Could there be more done in the realm of protective equipment? Well, more is being done. I think U. of Virginia is working on sensors that activate when a certain amount of force hits a helmet.
There’s even talk about banning the 3 point stance to reduce collisions between linemen.

I remember after college, people would approach me about playing semi-pro or Arena. I always responded that I was not about to risk my life and livelihood for $500-$1000 a week to chase an NFL dream. I was at peace that my football career had come to an end and I was moving on with my life.

'Me too. I was done with football after my eligibility was done at Miles. Because, I was not about to play arena football for $200.00, or nothing at all with some teams.

My stepson doesn't play football, he's basketball and may go out for tennis later. But all adults and he are in agreement on this because of CTE. I have kinfolk who are more worried than traditionally throughout my family.

Football needs more r&d for helmets. CTE isn't going away and yes, it's a risk on par with boxing.

I often feel guilty watching football b/c for many it's a dead end career path. So many train all their life to make it to the NFL which very few do and most of the few that do only last 1-3 years mainly due to injuries. I especially don't think it's worth it if you develop major CTE. I met the 1980 Heisman Trophy winner in June and he wasn't all the way there upstairs ... ya'll it was sad. Also NFL players are prone to unnecessary aggression with people outside the field, they have a hard time turning it off. But of course hardly nobody wants to talk about this .... it's all fun and games to most ppl.

Watch these ...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGt68O8ovSo&list=FLdqdC43Uji2Xy7jPwmFuF8g&index=105

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyk6LtBZNNQ&list=FLdqdC43Uji2Xy7jPwmFuF8g&index=103&t=295s

Last edited:
I often feel guilty watching football b/c for many it's a dead end career path. So many train all their life to make it to the NFL which very few do and most of the few that do only last 1-3 years mainly due to injuries. I especially don't think it's worth it if you develop major CTE. I met the 1980 Heisman Trophy winner in June and he wasn't all the way there upstairs ... ya'll it was sad. Also NFL players are prone to unnecessary aggression with people outside the field, they have a hard time turning it off. But of course hardly nobody wants to talk about this .... it's all fun and games to most ppl.

Watch these ...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGt68O8ovSo&list=FLdqdC43Uji2Xy7jPwmFuF8g&index=105

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyk6LtBZNNQ&list=FLdqdC43Uji2Xy7jPwmFuF8g&index=103&t=295s

Man I know a former NFL player and he talks slow as hell. It's as if he is trying to find words to say. He looks like he had a stroke but he hasn't He just turned 40 this year. You know how you are talking to someone but you don't really want to look at them because you know they are not right health wise but they don't see it.

Back