Lemon returns to coach at Central State

Jafus (Thinker)

Lemon returns to coach at Central State

Former assistant to lead rebirth of football program

By Dave Lance

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/daily/0717csu.html

WILBERFORCE | Central State dug into its past to find its football future.

Theo Lemon will be introduced as CSU's new head coach at a 10 a.m. Friday press conference, athletics director Theresa Check confirmed Wednesday. Lemon was a CSU assistant from 1985-90. He worked as CSU's academic adviser, defensive coordinator and linebackers coach in 1990, the year the Marauders won the NAIA Division I national title.

Legislators voted to prohibit CSU from fielding a football program for the 1997 season following NAIA sanctions. The school hasn't had a football team since.

"This is the best selection because Theo has qualities other than being a great football coach," Check said. "He has qualities that we need in a head football coach, qualities other than being a great football coach. He's a program builder, a fund-raiser and a leader, and he has the integrity to combine all of those aspects.

"His knowledge of Central State was an asset. We had approximately 50 applicants; it was a national search. We took our time, went through a lot of resumes and interviews to make sure we got it right."

Jacksonville Jaguars All-Pro defensive end Hugh Douglas, who Lemon recruited to CSU, thinks the school did.

"I think it's great they hired Coach Lemon," Douglas said. "I got a few phone calls from Coach Check about some of the guys they interviewed for the job, and I think all of them are great guys. But it's good they picked Coach Lemon because he was there when (former head coach) Billy Joe was there. (Lemon) knows a lot about the program."

Lemon's most recent job was as head coach at Division III College of DuPage (Illinois). He led the Chaparrals to a 2-8 record last season and was 5-5 in his ?01 debut. Lemon's coaching stints have included Kentucky State, Rutgers, East Carolina and Ohio University, where he graduated in 1980 with a bachelor's in physical education and in 1990 with a master's in guidance and counseling.

Lemon served as a Wake Forest assistant coach from 1996-2000. The Demon Deacons won the 1999 Aloha Bowl with Lemon serving as defensive line coach. He was promoted to assistant head coach/co-defensive coordinator the following season.

"This is a good situation for everyone involved," Douglas said. "They don't want to have the same thing that happened last time. You want to build a program the right way. Lemon has a college background, he's a great guy and I think it's a wonderful thing.

"I can't wait until it happens, so I can sit in the stands and watch Marauder football again."

Contact Dave Lance at 225-7492.

This is great news. Those Marauders were no joke back in the day (the 80's and 90's). Are they going to be DIAA and try to join the MEAC? Whatever they decide to do, I wish them the best...hope they can get back to the level of play they were at prior to being shut down. Good for their students, alumni and the University!

:jump: :jump: I am glad to see the marauders to get their football team back. Now I know this is looking to far ahead, but I know their fans would love to get back to the Gateway Classic in St. Louis. The last time UAPB and Central State played, the attendance went over 50,000.

Originally posted by Kool-Aid2K1
This guy coached under Bell at Wake Forest. His resume is pretty impressive.

How did his high school team do?

( I couldn't help it...it's getting close):lmao:

Originally posted by pbla
:jump: :jump: I am glad to see the marauders to get their football team back. Now I know this is looking to far ahead, but I know their fans would love to get back to the Gateway Classic in St. Louis. The last time UAPB and Central State played, the attendance went over 50,000.
pbla, that was in '96 as I recall. I was marching at that time.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
This is great news. Those Marauders were no joke back in the day (the 80's and 90's). Are they going to be DIAA and try to join the MEAC? Whatever they decide to do, I wish them the best...hope they can get back to the level of play they were at prior to being shut down. Good for their students, alumni and the University!
:tup: :nod:

The Marauders were for real back in the day.I don't know what they will be like in Div.II,but I still have some nightmares about some of the butt whippings they put on us at FVSU in their heyday!!:lmao:

Back