Kojak...yall checked it out yet?

MikeBigg

I've watched several episodes of Kojak starring Ving Rhames (sp). As a fan of the orignal Kojak series starring bald headed Telly Savalas, I was interested in how Rhames (sp) was gonna approach this character. So far, it's been a good protrayal. Just like Savalas's Kojak, Rhames is a snappy dressy with a cool persona that's surpressing a volatile kick azz mentality.

On last night (4/18) episode, I love the way he outslicked a dumb azz holding major piece of weaponry. The dude appeared to have the drop on Kojak so dude was told that he could "walk". Dude didn't believe it so Kojak went outside and told all the cops to come in and apprehend the "other guy" that was in the room. They did and the armed guy slowly walked backwards out the room. Only thing, once he got outside the room two cops hidden from view (the dumb azz and the TV audience) put their guns to his head and made him give up his weapon. Dude was like...you said I could go. Kojak said " No, I said you could walk".

I dont know about this show... He is not Savalas.. Not even close. But over all the show is OK..

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
docmump said:
I dont know about this show... He is not Savalas.. Not even close. But over all the show is OK..

Give it time...it's always tough playing a character that's been previously played so well. Savalas is often overlooked for his acting genius but he was really a good actor. I think Ving will do well and his protrayal will get good reviews over time.

So far he hasn't said "who loves ya baby?" and hopefully he won't. But I think it was okay to keep the "lollipop" thing going.

MikeBigg said:
Give it time...it's always tough playing a character that's been previously played so well. Savalas is often overlooked for his acting genius but he was really a good actor. I think Ving will do well and his protrayal will get good reviews over time.

So far he hasn't said "who loves ya baby?" and hopefully he won't. But I think it was okay to keep the "lollipop" thing going.[/QUOTE

he has said, "who loves you baby" i think it was on the second show or the episode when people were robbing a jewelry store.

I've seen all of the episode's so far, and it's not a bad show. I think the show would be better if it wasn't "Kojak". It's hard to really like a show if you're constantly drawing comparisons to the original. I think a lot of young viewers will like the show, but older folk who remember the original, and compare the two, will think it's OK.

I thought Rhames was crazy for taking on the character, because he's about as diverse as they come on just sheer acting ability. In a lot of ways, I think the character holds him back, he's talented enough to bring life into an entirely different character, and make him believable, and a joy to watch.

In any case, I will continue to look at the show, because I think it's good, and while watching I try to watch objectively, without drawing the comparisons to the other show, it's tough, but I try to watch it as if it's standing on it's on 2 feet.

Since Ving is one of the executive producers of the show, I wonder if he's going to bring in some of his family members (if he doesn't have one already) to work on the show, the way Telly Savalas bought in his real life brother to play his partner on the show.

MB, I agree with you about Savalas. I thought he was great as an actor, and one of the roles I enjoyed watching him in, was one of the many "Blowfeld's" in the 007 catalog in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

I tell you, they had just as many Blowfeld's as they had 007's in the James Bond movies. :nod: Oh, Rhames has said "Who loves you baby?" a few times, and he's going to say on this week's episode.

NICE

I hope he can get old Samuel L on there... The telephone conversation with Jules (Samuel L) and Marcellus (Ving) was a classic in Pulp Fiction. I was up a couple of nights ago til 2am watching that isht.

Back