JSU Tigers no match for Demons in Bell's debut

GRAMBLING

August 31, 2003

Tigers no match for Demons in Bell's debut

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

NATCHITOCHES, La. ? At halftime here Saturday night, a Tennessee Titans scout turned to someone in the press box and said: "They better hurry up and show me something."

Less than five minutes into the second half ? after viewing Jackson State's offense stuffed yet again ? he gathered his stuff and left.

It was that kind of evening for Robert Kent and Co., who surprisingly showed very little during JSU's 23-7 loss to Northwestern (La.) State in first-year coach James Bell's debut.

The Tigers' new-look offense managed just 165 yards on 60 plays ? an average of 2.8 yards per play ? and nine first downs against the Demons' Purple Swarm defense featuring eight new starters.

This is the same JSU offense that ranked first nationally in total offense (485.5 yards per game), second in passing offense (319.9 yards per game) and averaged 30 points per game last season.

"It was obvious the offense wasn't clicking tonight," said Kent, who completed 13 of 31 passes for 135 yards. "We didn't do what we needed to do to score touchdowns."

JSU had 27 yards through one quarter, 42 at halftime, and 80 at the end of the third quarter. It didn't cross midfield until midway through the fourth quarter. The Tigers only points came on a 23-yard touchdown pass from Kent to Tim Manning with 10 seconds remaining.

How bad was it? JSU actually set a Turpin Stadium record for punting yardage by an opponent (365 yards).

"We just couldn't get anything going on offense," JSU receiver Chris Jones said. "We sputtered all night. The defense played pretty good, but we didn't help them out.

"We're not used to being down like that, especially having zero on the board. Hopefully, we can regroup before next week."

The scout, in attendance mainly to look at Kent and Manning, wasn't the only one who left here disappointed. So did the 3,000-4,000 JSU fans among the 12,320 in attendance, many of whom voiced their displeasure at the new offensive philosophy brought aboard by Bell.

After watching JSU throw the ball early and often out of four and five receiver sets the past several years, they saw a much more conventional offense Saturday. The Tigers ran the ball 26 times netting 20 yards as the blitzing Demons' consistently poured through JSU's young offensive line.

"It has nothing to do with the play calling or the scheme," Bell said. "It's all about execution, and we didn't execute. We've got to learn how to block first. When we're able to do that, we'll be able to take the next step. They were running through our offensive line like water tonight."

Northwestern, ranked No. 23 in The Sports Network Division I-AA poll, took advantage of very favorable field position early on to take a 6-0 lead on a pair of field goals by Tommy Hebert.

The Demons then went ahead 13-0 midway through the second quarter on a 54-yard touchdown run by Derrick Johnese, who finished with a game-high 112 yards.

Johnese, an All-Southland Conference pick, tacked on a 3-yard touchdown run midway through the third quarter to make it 20-0.

JSU started its first three possessions on its own 12-yard line twice and its own 14. Northwestern State, meanwhile, started its first three possessions at midfield, the JSU 36 and the JSU 31.

If not for the defense, which performed fairly admirably all things considered, the outcome would've been much worse.

"I'm very surprised we were able to shut them down the way we did," Northwestern State coach Scott Stoker said. "They've got some great players. You can tell they are still trying to learn a new offense, and sometimes that takes time."

That was Bell's message afterwards.

"This is just one game, it means nothing," Bell said. "A lot of things went wrong, but Northwestern State has a very good team. We've got 11 more games to go. We'll continue to work and get better."

Let me prefernce this by saying that unlike some people I know the difference between the SMACK board and SPORTS board and will not smack on here.

In HIS FIRST GAME this guy has dropped Kent's stock tremendously and doesn't seem to care! "This is just one game" my ass! What kind of coaching mentality is that?

He sounds just like Coach Cooper. I think he has a supremacist complex that will destroy JSU football unless he changes his mentality. Let the people around him do their jobs and use your strenghts. I know that Kent will not be there next year, but use him while you have him.

Hey!

Don't be trying to help them unless they give you some of that "Welfare Money" that they gave to the rest of that staff. You can get paid if you tell Culberson how to fix this problem. He will probably pay you in Government Cheese. :lmao:

Yes, I smacked in here! You deserve it, too!

This is as sad as it gets this man is willing to sabotage Kent's NFl aspirations because he is not man enough to admit that his game plan sucked.Man I can just see the look of despair in the faces of the JSU faithful.Maybe Hughes wasn't so bad after all.If he keeps this crap up the season will be lost.

I hope I am missing something.

I hope that article is a case of someone getting part of the story and not the whole story. If this is 100% accurate or even 75% true, then Kent will lose a lot of potential $$$$ in an NFL contract, and JSU chances on winning the conference will become slim and none.

Note. The best friend of a quarterback is a good running game. But if a coach has a QB who can throw for a lot of yards, TDs and win games, then the coach has to use him. The good coaches know how to best use their talent in order to win. In the competitive world of college athletics, winning is everything. It may sound harsh. But this is the way it is.

It is true that players have egos. But coaches have egos too. As with a player, a coach should not let his ego get in the way of the goals of the team.

Anyway, I sure hope I am missing something.

Purple Swarm defense had all the answers against Jackson State

8/31/2003

Jamall Johnson, Neil Ponstein, Eric Louis, Paul Mefford, Carlos Stephens & Quintene Newhouse among top defenders

NATCHITOCHES -- After a month spent wondering exactly what Jackson State would do offensively against his young Purple Swarm defense, Northwestern State football coach Scott Stoker found out Saturday night.

In terms of production, the Tigers did very little. Despite returning seven starters, including prolific quarterback Robert Kent and a stable of receivers from last year's squad that led Division I-AA with a 498-yard average, a more run-oriented Jackson State offense was stymied by Northwestern and its eight new defensive starters.

The 22nd-ranked Demons gave up only 165 total yards, 66 of them coming in the waning minutes as the Tigers drove to their lone score in a 23-7 NSU victory before 12,320 at Turpin Stadium. In its first game under new coach James Bell, Jackson State evaded a shutout on a 23-yard touchdown pass with 10 seconds left to play.

The issue had long since been settled thanks to superior special teams play and aggressive defense from the Demons in the season opener for both clubs. The Tigers, who netted 20 yards on 26 running plays and completed only 14 of 34 passes, didn't cross midfield until about six minutes remained. Only the final six of their 60 plays were run in Northwestern territory.

Junior linebacker Jamall Johnson was the top newcomer for the Purple Swarm defense. The Delta State transfer made nine tackles (five solos, four assists) while blocking a punt to set up one TD and recovering a fumble that he caused. He also had two quarterback hurries.

Among the other defenders with good production were senior safeties Neil Ponstein (10 tackles) and Eric Louis (eight tackles, a sack and two quarterback hurries along with a pass breakup), sophomore linebacker Paul Mefford (eight tackles, one for minus 5 yards) and junior linemen Carlos Stephens (eight tackles, 1 for loss, 2 QB hurries) and Quintene Newhouse (five tackles, 1 QB hurry).

"I was real pleased with the defensive performance. Our front played very well, our linebackers were extremely good and the secondary, where we have the most experience, was solid," said Stoker. "No question Jackson State is looking to find its identity on offense, but they have some tremendous athletes in the mix and we were able to keep them contained."

Johnson's blocked punt triggered a 49-yard drive early in the third quarter that made it 20-0. Sophomore Toby Zeigler's punt and kickoff returns continually gave Northwestern good field position, as he had a 48-yard kickoff runback and 102 yards on seven punt runbacks, including a 30-yarder.

"We had a big advantage in special teams. We did a good job on coverage and Toby was outstanding on returns. When they had a breakdown, Jamall got in there and blocked the punt," said Stoker. "Tommy Hebert did a nice job on his field goals (hitting a career-long 43-yarder, along with 33 and 37 yard tries) and Josh Storrs almost got us a couple of long ones (narrowly missing from 49 and 51 yards). Chris Stegall punted effectively."

Offensively, junior Derrick Johnese accounted for 146 yards on 13 runs and two pass receptions. His 115 yards rushing included a 54-yard touchdown dash down the Demons' sideline for a 13-0 second-period lead and a 3-yard TD to make it 20-0.

"We played an average game at quarterback and on the offensive line," said Stoker. "All of our running backs did well. Our receivers looked young. We had seven dropped passes and at the same time they did some good things, too."

Sophomore Davon Vinson went the distance at quarterback. The Baylor transfer was 10-22 passing for 73 yards and ran 8 times for 30 yards. Redshirt freshman Ryan Lewis was held out of the game because of a mild shoulder bruise but is expected to play at Tulane next Saturday night.

"Davon did what we asked and he didn't make any major mistakes. It was his first game in two seasons and he handled himself just fine. If not for the dropped passes, he could have had some very impressive numbers and we might have scored some more. We were confident in his ability. Ryan could have played but we didn't think it was necessary," said Stoker.

The Demons will have to wait a little bit to complete their scouting report on Tulane, which kicks off its season Monday night with a nationally-televised game against TCU.

http://www.nsudemons.com/story.asp?ID=113

Originally posted by EB
I hope I am missing something.

I hope that article is a case of someone getting part of the story and not the whole story. If this is 100% accurate or even 75% true, then Kent will lose a lot of potential $$$$ in an NFL contract, and JSU chances on winning the conference will become slim and none.

Note. The best friend of a quarterback is a good running game. But if a coach has a QB who can throw for a lot of yards, TDs and win games, then the coach has to use him. The good coaches know how to best use their talent in order to win. In the competitive world of college athletics, winning is everything. It may sound harsh. But this is the way it is.

It is true that players have egos. But coaches have egos too. As with a player, a coach should not let his ego get in the way of the goals of the team.

Anyway, I sure hope I am missing something.

Nope, I think you summed it you quite well.....

No much I can say about this one. Defense and Special teams were improved, but that means nothing if the offense even get first downs. Its not so much the Scouts left, but the fact that we didn't even attempt to go down-field. I know Bell believes in his system, but there's gonna have to some adjustments made in the play calling. I don't have a problem with running the ball, but if its not working, then you need to start passing.

Bottom Line: This was the worse possible way for Bell to begin his JSU career. But if he makes some adjustments this week, we'll be fine. Practice this week should be interesting.

This sum's it up .....................

3rd down and 12..............Toss Sweep from the shotgun. :redhot:

Plain and Simple Truth

"DumbBell" days are numbered if he loses to NCAT on Saturday night. I see why he could not get a job as a high school coach prior coming to JSU.

The current offensive coordinator was out of a job for a year before Bell hired him. He was previously a rejected running coach at Georgia. The offensive line coach was a position coach and worked with the long snappers at Georgia Southern prior to coming to JSU. We have turned one of the best quarterback and recievers in the country over to coaches that are doing on the job training. I have been against hiring Bell from the begining and still is. By, the way the Athletic Director is also getting on the job training - he was assistant Athletic director at Montvello University, Alabama. A small division II school without an football program. They all need to go - JSU president need to go to - if he is not willing to rid our great university of these clowns. The only decent coach we have is our defensive coordinator, Greg Johnson. He improved our defense from 7th in the conference in 2001 to 3rd in 2002. Bell probably will run him off also if he disagrees too much with him.

Dumbbell needs to understand that JSU rich Football existed before and can prosper without him...

Bell is definitively a arrogant clown...

Re: Plain and Simple Truth

Originally posted by tiger85
"DumbBell" days are numbered if he loses to NCAT on Saturday night. I see why he could not get a job as a high school coach prior coming to JSU.

The current offensive coordinator was out of a job for a year before Bell hired him. He was previously a rejected running coach at Georgia. The offensive line coach was a position coach and worked with the long snappers at Georgia Southern prior to coming to JSU. We have turned one of the best quarterback and recievers in the country over to coaches that are doing on the job training. I have been against hiring Bell from the begining and still is. By, the way the Athletic Director is also getting on the job training - he was assistant Athletic director at Montvello University, Alabama. A small division II school without an football program. They all need to go - JSU president need to go to - if he is not willing to rid our great university of these clowns. The only decent coach we have is our defensive coordinator, Greg Johnson. He improved our defense from 7th in the conference in 2001 to 3rd in 2002. Bell probably will run him off also if he disagrees too much with him.

Dumbbell needs to understand that JSU rich Football existed before and can prosper without him...

Bell is definitively a arrogant clown...

....Interesting!

but why not jus let BELL work his contract?

Back