JSU star to gauge NBA value

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
JSU star to gauge NBA value

By Michael Wallace
mwallace@clarionledger.com

Johnson

Jackson State guard Trey Johnson, who ranks among the nation's top shooters and scorers this season, is now locked in on his next target: the NBA.

Johnson said Friday he will skip his senior season and declare for June's NBA draft.

"After the season I just had, the timing seems right for me in terms of making this decision," Johnson said during his press conference Friday on the JSU campus. "I feel that the (statistics) I put up really opened up some eyes out there."

Johnson, a 6-foot-5 junior wing player, was the nation's eighth-leading Division I scorer, averaging 23.5 points a game for the Tigers this season.

The Jackson native and former Murrah High star also ranked fifth nationally in 3-point shooting, connecting from behind the arc at a 43-percent clip over 32 games.

Johnson's father, Clinton Johnson, said Friday that the family will not hire an agent. Under NCAA and NBA rules, Johnson would retain his college eligibility and could pull out of the draft and return to JSU for his senior season as long as he does not retain an agent.

More here....
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060325/SPORTS030101/603250371/1073

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Trey's a good player,and i wish him the BEST...I only saw him once...But JSU fan's what do you think ???

He needs to stay at JSU and work on his DEFENSE.... He is a strictly offense minded person.

he will be the featured player in the SWAC next season.....will get all the preseason hype....he slowed down late in the season and never has played back-to-back seasons of D-1 college basketball...

talk about throwing a wrench in JSU's recruiting

he's doing the right thing. try and get an invite to the camps. go and show your wares and then come back to school. everyone will have seen you, they'll have an idea that you can fill it up then when jsu plays that pre-conference slate the scouts will be sitting in the stands watching him lite up bama, or who ever.

he has the makings. good size, good shot, but he'll be back next season. this is all about making sure they know who he is.

Trey Johnson will be back with the Tigers next season, but he should go to the camps and get more exposure. As long as he doesn't hire an agent everything will be fine. He will find out from the NBA insiders what he needs to work on. And there is no chance of him being taken in this year's draft.

Mr. Tiger said:
Trey Johnson will be back with the Tigers next season, but he should go to the camps and get more exposure. As long as he doesn't hire an agent everything will be fine. He will find out from the NBA insiders what he needs to work on. And there is no chance of him being taken in this year's draft.

Yeah I agree that would be the best thing for him to do..... Once he realizes that he needs to brush up on his defense he should be a beast. You just cant play lackluster defense then call for the ball everytime you are on offense.

We have a player like that on our team now.... broke the 3 point record among Georgia high schools... offensive minded only and he is on the bench mostly every game... the times he has got to play he will score about 17 points (Galen Gardenhire)

It;s really a no-brainer to test the waters in college basketball. As long as you can afford go to the workouts you have nothing to lose.

Trey will be just fine with any decision he makes. The guy has the body and game therefore all he need is an opportunity.

I think Morrison should go back to school and work on his defense and 3-pt shooting, as well as getting stronger. As good as he was this year, he would be a beast next year.

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
I think Morrison should go back to school and work on his defense and 3-pt shooting, as well as getting stronger. As good as he was this year, he would be a beast next year.

Morrison also needs to bulk up some more, although I know he has to be more careful about that than others due to his medical condition. He definitely needs to work on his defense. To nitpick, I'd like to see him work in the post with his back to the basket sometimes.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DAHILL said:
Yeah I agree that would be the best thing for him to do..... Once he realizes that he needs to brush up on his defense he should be a beast. You just cant play lackluster defense then call for the ball everytime you are on offense.

We have a player like that on our team now.... broke the 3 point record among Georgia high schools... offensive minded only and he is on the bench mostly every game... the times he has got to play he will score about 17 points (Galen Gardenhire)

You are correct he want check nobody but offensive he can fill up the hole. I thought that Monte Ellis should have played at least one year of college because he went low in the draft. Should have not hired an agent.

Back