JSU’s College of Business celebrated another year as host for the Mandela Washington Fellowship

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
(JACKSON, Miss.) — Yesterday, the Jackson State University delegation filled the halls of the Mississippi State Capitol in large numbers and high spirits in support of JSU programs and legislative priorities, as well as acknowledging the 2022 SWAC Championship teams programs, including football, women’s soccer, women’s tennis, and men’s cross country.

“From our student-athletes, our coaches and other representatives, we deeply appreciate the fact that you recognize JSU excellence in this chamber today,” said JSU Acting President Elayne H. Anthony, Ph.D. “We are so very pleased to be a part of this, and I want to thank each and every one of you for what you do to support our fine university.”

Mississippi state legislators assembled inside the Senate and House chambers to salute the efforts of Jackson State University athletes, both in and outside of the classroom. In attendance among state legislators were JSU alums Sen. Sollie B. Norwood, Sen. Derrick Simmons, Sen. Hillman Frazier, Rep. Chris Bell, Rep. Bo Brown and Rep. Rufus Straughter.

9F515743-475D-407B-9FCD-154B6C69761C.jpeg

While Jackson State University officials are quietly working to pull funding for an improved campus water system, students continue to complain of inadequacies.

The historically Black university, situated in the oldest neighborhood in the capital city, has struggled with unreliable water for years — even when there’s not an acute crisis.

Students who live in on-campus dorms are particularly struggling. The aging cast iron and lead lines under the university routinely burst, which can make the water smell foul or turn brown. In the winter, freezing temperatures have left students without heat, because the system relies on running water. They’ve had to buy bottled water, use portable showers and live in hotels.

These conditions make it more difficult for students to focus on the reason they’re at Jackson State — to learn. And, the problems could hurt the university’s bottom line: Enrollment.

Commissioner of Higher Education Dr. Alfred Rankins Jr. has accepted the resignation of Thomas Hudson as President of Jackson State University, effective March 31, 2023. Hudson will remain on administrative leave, with pay, through the end of the month.

Dr. Elayne Hayes-Anthony will continue serving as temporary acting president. The Board of Trustees will discuss the future leadership of Jackson State at its regular Board meeting later this month.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
While Jackson State University officials are quietly working to pull funding for an improved campus water system, students continue to complain of inadequacies.

The historically Black university, situated in the oldest neighborhood in the capital city, has struggled with unreliable water for years — even when there’s not an acute crisis.

Students who live in on-campus dorms are particularly struggling. The aging cast iron and lead lines under the university routinely burst, which can make the water smell foul or turn brown. In the winter, freezing temperatures have left students without heat, because the system relies on running water. They’ve had to buy bottled water, use portable showers and live in hotels.

These conditions make it more difficult for students to focus on the reason they’re at Jackson State — to learn. And, the problems could hurt the university’s bottom line: Enrollment.

This is the only reason JSU enrollment didn't explode during the Deion era. Once students learned more about life in Jackson, that deterred many from enrolling. I remember reading about a freshman from California who had to transfer to another institution b/c JSU is lacking basic necessities which distracted her from her studies. Also I feel this will impact athletic recruitment ... it's gonna be hard to keep the best athletes. I mean we took one of JSU 4-star athletes likely b/c Houston is a better city even though JSU has better fans and football atmosphere

JSU folk's hands are tied; they have no voice. The IHL are the only ones sitting at the conference table.
The IHL is not concerned with the well-being and growth of JSU. The JSU advisory board told the IHL to please not hire Bynum and they did anyway and looked what happened. Bynum was a terrible prez. The IHL is racist and will subtly sabotage its HBCUs in every way possible

Last edited:
Dear JSU Family,

It is a pleasure to welcome our vibrant students back from spring break. I hope it was a time of incredible connection with family, friends and loved ones. More so, I hope it was a period of rejuvenation, and you are poised to finish the academic year JSU strong.

To the entire JSU community, it is my honor to serve as your acting president, and I look forward to leading my alma mater with the utmost integrity, accountability and transparency. I am committed to providing a supportive environment for our students, faculty and staff, ensuring a smooth transition in the process.

I recently had the opportunity to gather with JSU students and listen to their perspectives, concerns and suggestions to enhance their higher education experience. I intend to prioritize their needs and continue to keep the lines of communication going. Listening is key to understanding, and my door is open to the campus community.

BOARD SEARCH COMMITTEE CHAIR NAMED FOR JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT SEARCH

3/23/2023 - Jackson, Miss.

Trustee Tom Duff, President of the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning, appointed Trustee Steven Cunningham to serve as chair of the Board Search Committee for the search for the 13th President of Jackson State University. Committee members will be named in the near future.

An alumnus of Jackson State University, Dr. Cunningham is a board certified diagnostic radiologist. He is a full partner and current president of Comprehensive Radiology Services, PLLC in Hattiesburg and a diplomate of The American Board of Radiology.

Dr. Cunningham earned his Doctor of Medicine from the University of Tennessee, Memphis Health Science Center. He completed his radiology residency at Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center in Dearborn, Mich. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Jackson State University.

Last edited:
New Jackson State bills to watch:
HB 501: $40 million to IHL to fund JSU stadium: 02/22 (H) Died In Committee
HB 1357: $40 million state bonds for JSU stadium: 02/22 (H) Died In Committee
SB 2661: $40 million from state general fund for JSU stadium: 02/22 (S) Died In Committee
HB 2969: $8 million from state general fund for new independent water system at JSU: 02/22 (S) Died In Committee

Back