It’s Time for Black Athletes to Leave White Colleges - Jemele Hill OCTOBER 2019 ISSUE

So does a parent from an HBCU HAVE to send their kid to an HBCU?

Brother nobody Black HAS to do anything along racial lines. But by that same token those Blacks need to understand the ramifications of their decisions going forward.

And that’s not hard to do my friend, and to do so let us take a very brief look back.

We didn’t HAVE to spend Black, and we didn’t. And today we have nothing; we’re not a factor in any industry except sports and entertainment (which we haven’t been able to leverage into anything of value and also doesn’t mean anything on the real global stage).

Just like we didn’t HAVE to remain in Black communities and contribute to the maintenance and advancement of our fellow Blacks who weren’t able to do as well as some of us, regardless of the reason, (the whole Talented Tenth theory, right?) and we certainly did not. Left for white everything the first chance we got.

And most of all, once we didn’t HAVE to date and procreate Black, Brother we fled to white cunt like a broke fat man to a free buffet and haven’t looked back since.

So no we don’t HAVE to do anything. But, please, let’s start drawing some very clear and sharp distinctions between those of us who believe we HAVE to do those tangible things necessary for the protection and advancement of our race, and those who just wanna talk and play at it when it’s convenient.

You see if that awful day ever does come among the Black people in this nation where that vital Question is asked, I plan on moving with the other sincere Brothers and Sisters. And I pray that day comes too, and soon.

Brother nobody Black HAS to do anything along racial lines. But by that same token those Blacks need to understand the ramifications of their decisions going forward.

And that’s not hard to do my friend, and to do so let us take a very brief look back.

We didn’t HAVE to spend Black, and we didn’t. And today we have nothing; we’re not a factor in any industry except sports and entertainment (which we haven’t been able to leverage into anything of value and also doesn’t mean anything on the real global stage).

Just like we didn’t HAVE to remain in Black communities and contribute to the maintenance and advancement of our fellow Blacks who weren’t able to do as well as some of us, regardless of the reason, (the whole Talented Tenth theory, right?) and we certainly did not. Left for white everything the first chance we got.

And most of all, once we didn’t HAVE to date and procreate Black, Brother we fled to white cunt like a broke fat man to a free buffet and haven’t looked back since.

So no we don’t HAVE to do anything. But, please, let’s start drawing some very clear and sharp distinctions between those of us who believe we HAVE to do those tangible things necessary for the protection and advancement of our race, and those who just wanna talk and play at it when it’s convenient.

You see if that awful day ever does come among the Black people in this nation where that vital Question is asked, I plan on moving with the other sincere Brothers and Sisters. And I pray that day comes too, and soon.

Amen...truth spoken

Very, very good. #honorthelegacy

Ok, we have identified the problem and the conversation continues. What is the solution? How does the HBCU become attractive to the high profile African American Athlete? I see no plan out there to stop the trend.

Okay-lets take Hill's example of the Fab 5. Lets say they went to Grambling. What is that non-conference schedule looking like? Don't HBCUs LEAD in the toughest non conference schedules?

What are they going to do if they start off facing Duke, Kentucky, Michigan and 12 other top 25 teams? And they go WINLESS. Lets not forget how the media talks DOWN about HBCUs taking those checks. Meanwhile PWC Texas gets PRAISED for doing the same thing under the guise of building up.
So the Fab 5 dominates the SWAC. Hello play in game because of how bad the conference is.

Oh lets not forget Coppin State was one of the winnest teams in the 90s. In fact I think TOP 5 or 10. Only produced 1 NBA player. They might luck out and get a 2nd round or undrafted pick up.

Those guys are NOT going to do that. Even if you get them by the time everyone takes HBCU seriously-Fab 5 are gone.

I think first step is STOP TAKING THOSE checks to lose by 50 at top schools. Take on teams that you can beat or have a good game with.
Next is if no one wants to tell the history of HBCU guys-YOU do it. Don't we have video majors at these schools? Let them do it.
If Alum are not interest in donating or badmouth the school-find out WHY. Is it something that can be fixed? Was it certain staff? Because PV seems to attract a LOT of students from one of the top schools in DISD in that nursing program. PV must be doing something right.

Nobody really wants to admit this but it's all it is. If these kids were one stars no one would care about getting them to attend. It's all about winning be it black school or white school, period.

Oh they care. Those are the ones that end up staying all four years and in some cases build themselves up to be that top player. How many times have we heard about the kid no one wanted but walked on to some top or middle of the pack school and his stock rose.

If it was about winning at HBCUs-those check games in the non conference don't happen. You are not playing Duke to lose by 70 you are playing Colorado State and inflating that win total.

Okay-lets take Hill's example of the Fab 5. Lets say they went to Grambling. What is that non-conference schedule looking like? Don't HBCUs LEAD in the toughest non conference schedules?

What are they going to do if they start off facing Duke, Kentucky, Michigan and 12 other top 25 teams? And they go WINLESS. Lets not forget how the media talks DOWN about HBCUs taking those checks. Meanwhile PWC Texas gets PRAISED for doing the same thing under the guise of building up.
So the Fab 5 dominates the SWAC. Hello play in game because of how bad the conference is.

Oh lets not forget Coppin State was one of the winnest teams in the 90s. In fact I think TOP 5 or 10. Only produced 1 NBA player. They might luck out and get a 2nd round or undrafted pick up.

Those guys are NOT going to do that. Even if you get them by the time everyone takes HBCU seriously-Fab 5 are gone.

I think first step is STOP TAKING THOSE checks to lose by 50 at top schools. Take on teams that you can beat or have a good game with.
Next is if no one wants to tell the history of HBCU guys-YOU do it. Don't we have video majors at these schools? Let them do it.
If Alum are not interest in donating or badmouth the school-find out WHY. Is it s be fixed? Was it certain staff? Because PV seems to attract a LOT of students from one of the top schools in DISD in that nursing program. PV must be doing something right.

You make great points; however, can we change the mindset of the student athlete and the parent? These young men have a different mentality. They see prime time televsion ( not espn+ or espn3), facilities, nutritionist, fulltime assistant coaches, housing, transportation (flights instead of busing), weight rooms, barbers on staff, food, path to the NFL, tutors around the clock etc. . Can your school provide the same? I know AAMU cannot.

Let's say deciding on a college is like being recruited for a job, do you take the job with the best benefits?

Last edited:
You make great points; however, can we change the mindset of the student athlete and the parent? These young men have a different mentality. They see prime time televsion ( not espn+ or espn3), facilities, nutritionist, fulltime assistant coaches, housing, transportation (flights instead of busing), weight rooms, barbers on staff, food, path to the NFL, tutors around the clock etc. . Can your school provide the same? I know AAMU cannot.

Let's say deciding on a college is like being recruiting for a job, do you take the job with the best benefits?

Exactly.

Last edited:

Oh i know you don't HAVE to do anything brother. I'm asking based on the post I responded to - "Exactly. No sadder sight in my opinion that a parent who graduated from an HBCU forgetting that and getting wide-eyed when the whites come calling. And they all have the same tired ass excuses.

I graduated from an HBCU and the reason I asked is because for some of us

I know all that brother. I just asked the question because some, not saying you, but some on this board think that way, that you HAVE to choose HBCU and if you don't then you're sellin' out or whatever. Again, not saying you.

Back