Is FAMU Overrated?

tgold

Do anyone think that FAMU is overrated? I have been a SWAC band fan for many years and personally, JSU and SU have always topped my favorite band list. I have personally seen FAMU and was not impressed. I mean they have a nice field show, but that's obviously not hard to get when you have 500 members. JSU and SU constantly keep the fans going and really put on a show. This is my opinion, but I would definitely like some feed back!

I guess it depends on the claims and the audience.

I can say this:

1. No other band makes an entrance like the Hundud.
  2. No other band is as athletic as the Hundud.
  3. Nobody plays ballads as well as the Hundud.
  4. The Hundud does not play uptempo well. (Which I always find surprising to compare to their athleticism.)
  5. It will be nice to (hopefully) see the entire band in a single type of uniform this year.
    [/list=1]

They are a very good group. #2 in my book behind The Boom.:) :) :)

Re: Re: Is FAMU Overrated?

Originally posted by dacontinent
I can say this:
  1. Nobody plays ballads as well as the Hundud.
    [/list=1]
    They are a very good group. #2 in my book behind The Boom.:) :) :)

1. This I can agree with! :nod:

Originally posted by 98LastRip
FAMU is a well rounded band, they sound good and they put on a nice show..

Well in that case Grambling is not well rounded. They sound horrible and put on decent field shows...

Originally posted by GoodFella
Well in that case Grambling is not well rounded. They sound horrible and put on decent field shows...

Dude you really hate Grambling don't you..

This is a whole different subject..
It's official your a hater...

Hate is such a strong word.... Goodfella is just stating facts.... Because GSU is still living off the old GSU name and that haven't mad a name for thiersleves...

Originally posted by 98LastRip
If not hate it must me jealousy..

:topic: I disagree.

If Grambling sounds a ishty mess (not saying they do), then that's just one person's opinion. It doesn't necessarily mean that that person(s) is jealous of Grambling.
If I'm not impressed by Grambling's band, it's not because I'm jealous (and most likely others) of their band or their "legacy"---it's going to be because I don't like their sound, their field show or whatever else. But not jealously or hate on their band program.

I don't have a problem with Grambling's band (I haven't seen them in more than 2 years), but from all the posts that I've read from different folks--- it doesn't seem like hate to me. It just seems like people think ya'll are "living off a legacy and not living up your past 'glory days'" --- that's all. But that's just what I see.

It's a new day, so (Grambling) just Shut These Folks UP with Your HORNS this season!!!

See ya Oct. 25! :D

Yes, FAMU is overrated. They do great field shows and dance routines but don't impress other than those two thngs. Of the times that we (TnSU) played them those were the only high points in my opinion.

Originally posted by MightyMouse01
Yes, FAMU is overrated. They do great field shows and dance routines but don't impress other than those two thngs. Of the times that we (TnSU) played them those were the only high points in my opinion.
I don't know about this one. Dr. White impressed the He!! out of me when we were in Indiana. He has stepped up that program using what they do best. I can't call this one but, I have to give credit to where credit is due. They have the largest Black College Band in the nation and they are using those numbers to their advantage. I don't think any band can compete with their breakdown.

On a side note,...I think yall (Tenn St.) are under rated. I first saw yall in 1984 in Louisville ,Ky and yall wasn't paying that little band on the back of that pick up truck no mind. "Let's Go Crazy", "Purple Rain", "I Feel For You"... Man!!! ,...even the Sax Section was blowing fanfares. No one heeded my warnings in Vegas. Sooooo,....anyway yall are one of my favorites because you all are still playing good quality music!!!!!! Music with a lot of challenging theoretical substanence!!!!. I know it sounds like sucking up and when it comes to good music I don't care. Thanks for keeping that style of writing alive.

I just dont see how you could think FAMU is overatted.... music wise... FAMU is setting the bar that MANY of our HBCU's should be following... Field show wise they are the only band that dont put me to sleep on the field... now their up to date music sounds square as hell to me and they are quite boring in the stands... but far from overatted.

Originally posted by Legend35

On a side note,...I think yall (Tenn St.) are under rated. I first saw yall in 1984 in Louisville ,Ky and yall wasn't paying that little band on the back of that pick up truck no mind. "Let's Go Crazy", "Purple Rain", "I Feel For You"... Man!!! ,...even the Sax Section was blowing fanfares. No one heeded my warnings in Vegas. Sooooo,....anyway yall are one of my favorites because you all are still playing good quality music!!!!!! Music with a lot of challenging theoretical substanence!!!!. I know it sounds like sucking up and when it comes to good music I don't care. Thanks for keeping that style of writing alive.
P.S. Your arrangement of "SWAC" is OFF THE HOOK!!! I like that break down in section C.

No. They are not overrated. As with most highly visible HBC marching bands, they may seem to be repeatitive. However, their claim to fame "Musicality" is apparent. The fullness and clairity of their sound is diffulcult to match, given their balanced complements of brass, woodwinds and precussions. They are indeed an positive representation of what one hope to see in HBC marching bands.

I look forward to seeing FAMU and J-State (one of my other favorite) at the Circle City Classic. Good luck J-State, two years ago at the CCC, Grambling was subjected to a flagellation at the hands of the hundred.

In a way yes, but in a way no

people b4 me have explained as to why...so i see no need to restate it again....

Back