Is Depression Real?

Mr. Matriculation

Using the lady in Houston that killed her 5 children. Is depression that serious? Everyone has good and bad days, but can depression become a mental illness that causes you to do things that horrible? I need someone to shed some light on me about depression.

Yes, Depression is a real illness. I think we wrongly use the term "depression" to describe sadness. But true depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression has drastic repurcussions including heinous crimes, erractic behavior, and suicide.

Yes, depression is a real mental illness, but 95% of the cases of reported clinical depression, the patient is not considered psychotic or a threat to others, only to <b>themselves</b>.

Very good topic

I, for one used to think that this disease, disorder, or whatever you wanna call it was a cop out excuse for folks to use to get away with **** or to even get attention; but after all the things I've been reading, hearing, seeing lately, I see it's for real and it's very serious.

I was reading an article yesterday about this Chicago woman that committed suicide because of post partum depression. She had the worst kind of them all. I think it was called post partum psychosis.

This chic jumped out of a 121/2 story hotel window.:eek: She meant business. Her baby was only 13 weeks old. It was stated that she felt hopelessness, felt as if she weren't a good mother, wife, woman, etc. She'd been battling with this disease for quite some time, and her family as well as her doctor thought she had recovered. She'd been in the hospital being treated for this about a week or two before the incident happened. Her husband left for work one morning with his wife in good spirits and that was the last time he saw her alive.

WTF:eek:

I sed all that to say this, yes this disease is real and it's very serious. What makes one this way is what I can't seem to fathom. I don't think I could ever go through something that bad to make me kill myself. I feel for these mothers with this post partum depression. This mess ain't no joke.

But I still think that Andrea Yates is full of it tho.:redhot:

Yes it is real.

Ever see or hear of someone losing a loved one in an accident or natural causes? Ever see someone NOT get over that loss? Ever hear of your older relatives say something like "she/he had a nervous break down?" Ever?

Depression is very real. Psychosis is the worst. The reason is that person has LOST touch with reality and has begun to hallucinate...

Did you see the movie HURRICANE starring Denzel Washington? Ok... assuming you did... Remember when HURRICANE was in solitary confinement? Yes, I know this was a movie...but remember he began to hallucinate and talk to himself. He lost touch reality... He began fighting his shadow and the person in his imagination.... It was only a movie....but things like this really happen in life....

Just like the woman in Chicago who jumped to her death, Andrea Yates and plenty of women like her have lost touch with reality. It is difficult for a person to understand how SEEMINGLY rational actions are really NOT rational. For instance, people have killed folks and then sat down and had a cigarette.... Make sense to you and me? HELL NO! But to a person who is psychotic...well ...anyway....

God be with us all! I pray that no one has to ever experience depression or sadness....but in this world we know you will....

2 Timothy 1: 7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Depression, insanity, etc are all tricks of the devil. Once he has your mind, he has you. Once you have obeyed his orders, he is through with you.

just a question ...

Originally posted by BluBlood
2 Timothy 1: 7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Depression, insanity, etc are all tricks of the devil. Once he has your mind, he has you. Once you have obeyed his orders, he is through with you.

With a background in psychology, this is a prime example of why I don't like to get into discusssions with <i>some</i> Black folks about mental illness. It seems they can attribute mental illness to some passage in the Bible. Mental illness is as real as diabetes or cancer. Are there passages in the Bible that can point to roots of the devil in their manifestation?

I'll blame it on "the man".

I always thought depression was an excuse for white folks to say they were stressed out and take a leave of absence from their jobs. I figured they would take some prozac and be alright. But apparently it runs a little bit deeper than that and has no regard for racial identity.

However; I actually agree with Blubood and feel it attacks people that don't have a geniune spiritual nature. I think they get possessed with demonic spirits and try to cope with them as a human being instead of relying on the power of God to deliver them. The whole "depression" topic is mind boggling to me. No pun intended.

I just ask that in addition to your Bible readings to pick up a medicial and psychiatric textbook. I am truly not being saracastic.

I think if you (collectively) had a little more insight and education on the chemical make-up of the brain and some of the hormonal and chemical imbalances that attribute to mental illness, you may not be as one-dimensional in your beliefs.

Tara, I just broke it down in the spiritual nature. Who created our bodies? Who has the power to have control of our bodies? Only God...and he gives the devil permission to "tamper" with our bodies.

The 3rd eye.

Tara,

Experts in the field of pyschology don't have sufficient knowledge of the makeup of the brain. Looking at it in a pyschological or medical perspective I don't see where a lot of cures or breakthroughs have taken place. There is no cure for depression, no logical causes for depression( what depresses 1 person might have the opposite effect on the other), or even how to effectively treat depression(woman jumping out of building after being treated a week before).

It seems to me that the medical experts have simply observed patterns of the afflicted and gave a fancy term to described their actions (ie, Post Pardum, Psychosis, and any other "osis" or "iliac" suffix). There is such a gray area when it comes to the functions of the brain that i have to take my lack of knowledge and rely on faith to guide me. But I am glad that discussion is taking place on the topic, cuz i'm always willing to learn more.

Depression is most real...people

I'm in nursing school now. We go see patients in the psych wards & mental institutions and I get to see depression at its worse. Before I got here I thought that it was a joke, I even laughed at people because I thought that they were just trying to get attention. These people need help bad & it is sad. Sometimes the people don't ever come out of this, even with medication, like tricyclics & antidepressants. You have all kinds of chemicals in your body that does things...like endorphins & enkephins that give you a sense of euphoria (good feeling). With depression some how these chemicals start to get blocked, & nothing makes the person happy or feel good anymore. Something triggers that imbalance, it could happen any moment, we just need to thank God for the mind state we are in now. I'll shed alittle more light on the manner but I got to eat right now.

I do agree that depression IS a very serious illness...

But can we ALWAYS use depression to justify someone's actions (murder/suicide/destruction) with utmost LEGITIMACY????

Psychosis maybe....but DEPRESSION??????

Is this diagnosis as "correct" as we are made to believe????

I'm asking because I have some doubts.

If you can school me....please do so.

Depression is a psychological condition that changes how you think and feel, and also affects your social behavior and sense of physical well-being. We have all felt sad at one time or another, but that is not depression. Sometimes we feel tired from working hard, or discouraged when faced with serious problems. This too, is not depression. These feelings usually pass within a few days or weeks, once we adjust to the stress. But, if these feelings linger, intensify, and begin to interfere with work, school or family responsibilities, it may be depression.

Originally posted by Ntelekt
Psychosis maybe....but DEPRESSION??????

Is this diagnosis as "correct" as we are made to believe????

I'm asking because I have some doubts.

Ntelekt, I agree with you on this one. I do not believe this woman suffers from depression.

Blu, I didn't say you should believe in more than one God, just realize and recognize the gift that God gave doctors. The gift to heal. Not everyone is chosen to be a doctor.

I am lucky to have two doctors in my immediate family. That's why I see things more from a medical point of view.

There have been times when my father has done all he can do, medically, for a patient and he has told the family, "that at that time, all they could do was pray for their loved one". Sometimes the patient lived, sometimes they didn't. I personally can't imagine that kind of job.

I remember when my sister first became a physician and she had the experience of her first patient dying and the feelings of guilt she went through. It was very difficult for her. She didn't know if she was given the "gift" or not.

I know I have gotten off topic, but I just want to let you know I'm not saying that spirituality does not play a part in modern medicine, but God HAS given us the knowledge of how the human body, that HE created, operates, therefore we can make progress in finding cures for such illnesses as cancer, lupus, AND depression.

take up an activity or beat the hell out of something...you won't get depressed....

seriously, don't know.....just follow the life of a work-a-holic, when he's forced to retire we'll find out

Tara, I perfectly understand the point you are making. You're exactly right!!! God gives those gifts to doctors. He gives them the knowlege and wisdom to understand the body that He created. Only God can limited the knowledge man has of the human body, esp the mind. I believe that no man will ever know the full power the mind has.

Good topic!!!

Good topics! Good points! Tara and Blu, I am feeling both of you!

Depression, Psychosis, sadness, all... are real...

I'm not feeling everyone here...

Depression is an illness. But to kill all five of your children one by one, deserves the chair or life (I am not decided yet). I do not agree with the insanity plea for most people. Anytime you go on a Murdering spree, or can just shoot people in the head with a gun over an argument, I don't need a doctor to tell me you are insane. But your insanity is just the reason your ass is guilty! Insanity is the WORSE PLEA EVER CREATED!

Now, if that woman was that depressed, and she was diagnosed as such after her 3rd child, why did she have 2 more kids? Why was allowed to keep the kids alone? How can you use depression as an excusable reason for killing your kids now, but it wasn't good enough to prevent her from being alone with them. You can't have it both ways. So if the husband and doctors were so damn aware of her illness, their azzes need to be on trial too!

Back