Independence Day

Warndalyn

Postmaster General!!!
With the 4th of July approaching us the day after tomorrow, just what does this holiday mean to you...besides the fireworks, a day off, the food, etc.

I'll share my thoughts later.

Can't relate to it...

I never could. I always worked on this day before entering the corp world.

I cannot celebrate something that even my grandmother/grandfather were told did not belong to them by THEIR own grandparents, who more than likely were slaves or a 1st generation removed from it.

It's meaningless to me personally, but, I do reflect on those African-Americans of past who fought bravely for this entire country regardless of race and then upon their return, they find that folx of non-color in this country still thought they were inferior, subpar, unequal, lower, ... .

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The only thing that the fourth signifies for me is that I get a chance to visit my folks in Louisiana for some down home cookin?.
Oh yeah, the day off is nice too.

;)

I've always referred to it as the 4th instead of Independence Day. Independence as in freedom??? Well, I always enjoy the day off to be with my family and other loved ones. I don't really think it will ever have any significance to me other than that.

hmmmmm, interesting

It's funny to see that so many of you share some of the similar beliefs, feelings, thoughts, etc. as I.

I never really gave a **** about the holiday per se. I always felt like we were never really freed any damn way....hell, we still ain't free. Still working for da white man, still going thru all this racial crap, still can't get better jobs, houses, credit than them w/o having to pull some damn teeth to do it, still gettin' pulled ova by the gotdamn police for no apparent reason whatsoever except being black, still being discriminated against, still having to call on the damn NAACP for simple ****, I can go on but I digress; for now.

It's good to be off and eat witcho peeps tho.:rolleyes:

Before my grandparents died, it meant I was getting some of my grandpa's("Big Daddy") good ole BBQ.(Ribs falling off the bone) and my family and friends coming together. Now it means a day off and maybe me firing up the pit....;)

It dosen't mean jack!!! I grill all of the time!!! I usually take my vacation this week anyway!!! I do not let my kids play with fireworks nor do they go out during halloween!!!

I just see it as a day to be around my family and friends. "The" day to BBQ on a grill. You know black folks do it. A holiday away from a holiday(s) it seems like to me.

It means a lot to me

Historically it means that our country gained it's independence. We became our own NATION. Even though this country has it's flaws, what country doesn't? I love living here. We are allowed to do so much here. You know it's funny...people want to label themselves African American...but in some parts of Africa, you wouldn't even be accepted. Most of my college professors that were African couldn't even stand us. So I say F'EM!!!! I tell people that I am either Black, Negro, or Colored. I ain't no damn African American. I am an AMERICAN!!! I'm glad to live here. I would much rather live here than to be starving someplace with flies in my eyes trying to chase skinny roadrunners for weekly dinner. I appreciate the country I live in. I celebrate it's Indendence!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Most of the time I bullish on some of my posts. But I am dead serious about this one! My family has made a pretty good life for themselves and their kids here in America(on both sides) I love them! I love this country! I celebrate 4th of July. We need to know how fortunate we are to live here. People die daily trying to make it over here. They raft in innertubes across the ocean...they try to cross deserts...they get shot at borders. You need to get off of that "It doesn't mean ish to me" bandwagon. Have a mind of your own and stop listening to these PSUEDO so called "African American" leaders. They ain't leading me ANYWHERE!!! I am the master of my fate, the captain of my soul!!!

Back