If you go to an HBCU are you automatically a democrat?

How would you describe yourself po

• Conservative/Republican

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Liberal/Democrat

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the issue and/or my wallet how I vote.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
I would venture to guess that the majority of HBCU voters vote democratic, but what if you are a christian/saved? Do you vote republican because the republicans have seized the initiative when it comes to being the "moral party" and holding the perverbial moral high ground?

How about all the blacks at HBCUs who are in ROTC/reserves and go on to careers in the military? Do they vote republican once they are out of school? Lastly, as the income level of blacks, especially HBCU college grads, rise and we assume positions of influence in business/politics, is there more in common with the conservative republican phylosophy in terms of taxes, jobs, education and crime? A particularly apro pos parallel being where we choose to live now days. As blacks have assumed more financial power we have fled the "black communities" for middle/upperclass neighborhoods/housing developments just like whites,,, and that's not a judgement call, i'm simply making an observation. (here in Montgomery, for example, it's not so much about race where you live as it is about class and income level. there are large numbers of middle/upper class blacks living in the most "exclusive" neighborhoods now days.). These are questions that I have found to be very interesting and great topics of debate among both my white and black associates since graduating college and living in the real world.

It really bothers me, though, how the republican conservative camp has "commandeared" the moral high ground away from the democratic party and done a masterful job of villianizing democrats/liberals on morality/religion issues and re-defined the republican/conservative camp as the party of God/morals/family values,,, etc.(soely through the talk radio medium by the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Neil Bortz, Micheal Reagan,, et al conservative talk show hosts) Last time I checked, my parents are democrats and they were/are the most conservative, family values people I know! The same can be said for many "democrats"! I don't think political affiliation has anything to do with how moral you are and rather or not your view should be the "right" view on any/all issues just because you proclaim to hold the "moral high ground".

Just like this stem cell research controversy. This is so nit-picky and all the opposition from people using the issue of abortion as the central issue is the classic use of an emotional issue to manipulate public opinion/legislation on something that is vital to medical research and the possible saving/enchancement of human lives!:confused:

Comments? :xeye:

A decision to choose a certain political party is ones own personal belief. Please refer to my document on SWACPAGE.net on "Why I am a Republican." It is a known fact that most people choose a certain political belief initially because of their parents.

Of course historically the Republican Party has been seen as a bunch of "rich" white men who hate blacks. This is about as true as the statement that every black man is a sexual predator and thief.

Yes, I am a Republican. Do I dislike individuals who are democrats. No. I believe that everyone who participates in the political process is entitled to believe in what they want. Isn't this what MLK's dream was about.

Call me indifferent.....I call it personal belief.

Where you ever a democrat?

If you dont' mind me asking. To your comments; there are probably way more black republicans than we would guess which is why I posed the question. Will check out your post before responding further.

Back