I14 - Texas to be an extended network of highways across Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia

Olde Hornet

The lack of an interstate highway has hampered growth and the location of manufactures and distribution centers in the poorest part of the state. This was talked about since I was in college. It was supposed to be an extension of 85 to connect to I20/I59 in Meridian Mississippi. The white leaders have no desire to help this region of Alabama. It would not surprise me that this will be the last portion of the new I14 to be constructed. I dont expect to see this in my lifetime, but I hope the next generation will see it happen.

The new I-14 will connect the blackbelt to an interstate and would also split off from I-85 east of Tuskegee to Columbus to Macon to Augusta.

Senator Warnock of Georgia worked with Senator Ted Cruz of Texas to help get the Interstate included in the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act. (This is stuff that happens in the Senate, but I cant imagine this happening in the House).

On November 15, 2021, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) was signed into law and authorized the Interstate 14 (I-14) system in Texas to be an extended network of highways across Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. This new interstate system will enhance connectivity in the southern United States and improve mobility between urban and rural population centers, military installations, maritime ports, and economic sectors including energy, freight, timber and agriculture.

To see the map, go here:

Back