I’m Retired and Regret My Frugal Retirement — Here’s Why

Olde Hornet

I met a lovely retired couple and went out to dinner with them when I was in Australia many years ago. They told me to travel and do things now, DO NOT WAIT until you retire, there will be things that you want to do, but wont be physically wont be able to do it. They wanted to walk on the Harbor Bridge in Sydney (highly recommended), they could not do it physically.

Agnes P. saved every penny she could for retirement. Now at 78, she’s got more money than she knows what to do with, but fewer happy memories than she’d like.

“I was so focused on saving that I forgot to actually live,” Agnes said. Her story shows why being too frugal can backfire.

Retirement Planning: Whether you're planning for retirement, dealing with a significant life event or simply looking to make smarter financial decisions, a financial advisor can offer the expertise and guidance you need. Here are some compelling reasons why you should consider a financial advisor -- even if you're not wealthy.

The Downside of Saving Too Much​

Her entire life, Agnes watched what she spent. Growing up without a lot of money instilled the idea that she had to save every penny. She packed lunches, kept her old car, and rarely took time off. While her friends were taking vacations, Agnes put every extra dollar into her retirement accounts.

“I thought I was doing the right thing,” she said. “But I gave up too much of my life for a future that wasn’t guaranteed.”

Back